By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - GDC 2011: Israel console install base

Xen said:

As an Israeli, this is not exactly correct...

Where are the 100k hacked PSP's? The other 30k of hacked 360's? The 249999 hacked PS2's?

Kidding, kidding. But there should be more in the "hacked" graphs. There is no DS simply because the only DS here is my own. The PSP dominates this country so much that it's not even funny.

How can the PSP dominate so much over DS? I mean, clearly the Wii numbers suggest that Nintendo is fairly popular over there.

Also, a country with so much piracy, how can the PS3 be so big compared to Xnox? I mean X360 is quite popular in third world countries because it's easy to pirate (not saying Israel is a 3d world country but like Greece, Portugal, Eastern Europe and others it has some similarities)

Is it because like Eastern Europeans, most Israelis game on the PC?

Around the Network
Slimebeast said:
Xen said:

Where are the 100k hacked PSP's? The other 30k of hacked 360's? The 249999 hacked PS2's?

Kidding, kidding. But there should be more in the "hacked" graphs. There is no DS simply because the only DS here is my own. The PSP dominates this country so much that it's not even funny.

How can the PSP dominate so much over DS? I mean, clearly the Wii numbers suggest that Nintendo is fairly popular.

Also, a country with so much piracy, how can the PS3 be so big compared to Xnox? I mean X360 is quite popular in third world countries because it's easy to pirate (not saying Israel is a 3d world country but like Greece, Portugal, Eastern Europe and others it has some similarities)

Wii has everyman appeal here (random office worker girls like it for Wii sports, MK Wii, etc), handhelds are almost always only popular with the kids - and the games most liked are skating, football, basketball, shooters, god of war etc... the PSP is the obvious pick. I'm pretty sure that most also have no idea who the hell Nintendo are, they just like the Wii and call it such.

The key feat for the success of both is the enormity of the playstation brand - a guy i was on a work-related course with had a "hacked PS3" before even the jailbreak came out. Upon asking him whether the console had a slot drive/tray, he said tray... it's pretty obvious which is it, right? :P

Xen said:
Slimebeast said:
Xen said:

How can the PSP dominate so much over DS? I mean, clearly the Wii numbers suggest that Nintendo is fairly popular.

Wii has everyman appeal here (random office worker girls like it for Wii sports, MK Wii, etc), handhelds are almost always only popular with the kids - and the games most liked are skating, football, basketball, shooters, god of war etc... the PSP is the obvious pick. I'm pretty sure that most also have no idea who the hell Nintendo are, they just like the Wii and call it such.

The key feat for the success of both is the enormity of the playstation brand - a guy i was on a work-related course with had a "hacked PS3" before even the jailbreak came out. Upon asking him whether the console had a slot drive/tray, he said tray... it's pretty obvious which is it, right? :P

Gamers in Israel don't know of Nintendo lol? Is it because it's a country in the Middle East and the ME is... different?

So why did the guy say that? He pulled a lie because he wanted to be cool and have a PS3 or he had some other device he thought was a PS3 (?)?

Slimebeast said:
Xen said:
Slimebeast said:
Xen said:

Gamers in Israel don't know of Nintendo lol? Is it because it's a country in the Middle East and the ME is... different?

So why did the guy say that? He pulled a lie because he wanted to be cool and have a PS3 or he had some other device he thought was a PS3 (?)?

He didn't know, I guess. Another guy I met at the same place, already a full time worker, had a hacked 360 he wanted to sell to me because he was going away to South America for a year. He knew it was a 360 from the beginning though :P

And yeah, Israel (and the mid-east?) could be percieved as different because gaming wasn't big here until the PS1 came around. Nintendo consoles prior to the Wii were pretty niche.

i wonder if their real pc gamers or just home computers that play flash games online.

Around the Network
fps_d0minat0r said:

i wonder if their real pc gamers or just home computers that play flash games online.

Some of both, but mostly the latter like any proper country ;)

D-Joe said:

whoa PC

they must love Battlefield 2/ArmA etc

an game were they vs generalistan militas with top of the range hardware. Its mirrows them 

Of Course That's Just My Opinion, I Could Be Wrong