Ail said:
bannedagain said:
Ail said:
bannedagain said:
theprof00 said:
bannedagain said:
theprof00 said:
bannedagain said:

THis pisses me off just because I have nothing to do with sony, Nor do I own a ps3. WTF do they get access to anything of mine for. They shouldn't and should be against the law.  I hit a link on this site so sony can do as they please with my IP. I don't care if they got if I want them to but If I dont', I don't. Thats the point there is nothing to be worried about but our rights and I am sick of corperate scum like sony getting in my F-cking pants. I also would be very pissed if my address is handed out all over. There is people I don't much care for out there. I would not want them to access my address because it just ok, it's not. SO FUSONY.

they can't do anything with your IP. If anything ever happened to your dislike from them "having" your IP, You would be able to sue Sony for millions upon millions.

You visited his site. So what? BFD. Sony doesn't care who you are or what you did. All they care about is if you are FROM California. Then, still they don't care about you. You're a statistic, that's it. You're a case for Sony to point at Geohot and say, "Californian PS3 base is severely disrupted by Geohot, and it's one of our base of operations, and where all our imports come in.. etc etc". That's all you are to Sony.

So get off your high horse, and take off the tinfoil hat. I've been to his site a dozen times to read all the crazy things he has to say. I'm not worried because if Sony were to do anything with our IPs EXCEPT in the case to prove Geohot guilty, they would be sued in a big way, and would probably have their geohot case overturned on top of it all, and have to pay his fees and time and everything.

The sky is NOT falling. Relax, as business as usual (including the usual attempts to tear down Sony) will continue.

did you not read that I said It wasn't that I'm worred about anything. It was the pure right Of mine that they have it and I didn't want them to, Thats it. You get it or your so far up there arse that you don't get what rights mean. 

You do not have that right. The internet is a PUBLIC space. It is the same thing that a cop can arrest you for things that are "in plain sight". A cop can enter your home or car without a search warrant if he can see illegal activity or goods  from where he is standing.

If you're at a crime scene and leave and a cop then tracks you down, you cannot say, "you don't have the right to know if I was there".

Watching a video is not illegal, but you're NOT anonymous on the internet. Search providers track your IPs, servers keep logs of your IP, youtube tracks your IP. You are a person walking down the "street" of the net. And people do know where you are.

You think that just because you don't want them to have your IP, they can't have it?

Allow me to politely guffaw while I contemplate whether to keep 'arguing' with you.

I'm just going to end this here. Sony cannot do anything to you. They cannot look at anything you do online, they cannot target you, they cannot make a case against you. They have no right, and no judge will allow them to do so. This judge didn't allow that, and no judge ever will UNLESS YOU committed an internet crime. (Which you did not, despite how much you wrongheadedly insist that Sony says you did)

Heres the deal, I didn't to sh-t. GEOHOT DID, not me. SO thats my deal . THere you go, no need to enter my car, nothing illegal or my space or even have damn number. I disagree with you. Your using guilty situations to prove your points when I did nothing to have guilt.

What next, are you going to sue the NSA for reading your e-mail and listening to your cellphones calls ???????

Besides Sony isn't asking for your data, it asks for those ISPs to give their customer data ( which you happen to be one if you visited the site...). If you don't want to leave a trace on the internet, don't go on the internet, because every frigging site keeps a record of your visit and the federal government in certain case can even ask your ISP for access to every data you send through it..........

Same thing when a bank is under investigations and a judge asks them to provide the name of all their account holders to the prosecutor. Doesn't mean everyone of them is a criminal....

You do realize that half the mods on this site can see your IP and they could post it and not get into any kind of trouble right ???????

YOu too don't get it. I choose to come to this site. I didn't choose to go to anything sony. get it.

WHY would anything sony seem bad to either of you, It wouldn't. thats why I'm done with you both.

WOW if MS did this you would both have sh-t fit and I've seen MS do less and this site go nuts about it.

You choosed to go to the Geohotz site by cliquing the link, what else do you need ?

I believe his point is that it wasn't a Sony website.  Which is a really basic point to understand, I can't see how you could miss that... since you know.  It was directly in his post.  I bolded it.

Thankyou.

Around the Network
bannedagain said:
Kasz216 said:
Ail said:
bannedagain said:
Ail said:
bannedagain said:
theprof00 said:
bannedagain said:
theprof00 said:
bannedagain said:

THis pisses me off just because I have nothing to do with sony, Nor do I own a ps3. WTF do they get access to anything of mine for. They shouldn't and should be against the law.  I hit a link on this site so sony can do as they please with my IP. I don't care if they got if I want them to but If I dont', I don't. Thats the point there is nothing to be worried about but our rights and I am sick of corperate scum like sony getting in my F-cking pants. I also would be very pissed if my address is handed out all over. There is people I don't much care for out there. I would not want them to access my address because it just ok, it's not. SO FUSONY.

they can't do anything with your IP. If anything ever happened to your dislike from them "having" your IP, You would be able to sue Sony for millions upon millions.

You visited his site. So what? BFD. Sony doesn't care who you are or what you did. All they care about is if you are FROM California. Then, still they don't care about you. You're a statistic, that's it. You're a case for Sony to point at Geohot and say, "Californian PS3 base is severely disrupted by Geohot, and it's one of our base of operations, and where all our imports come in.. etc etc". That's all you are to Sony.

So get off your high horse, and take off the tinfoil hat. I've been to his site a dozen times to read all the crazy things he has to say. I'm not worried because if Sony were to do anything with our IPs EXCEPT in the case to prove Geohot guilty, they would be sued in a big way, and would probably have their geohot case overturned on top of it all, and have to pay his fees and time and everything.

The sky is NOT falling. Relax, as business as usual (including the usual attempts to tear down Sony) will continue.

did you not read that I said It wasn't that I'm worred about anything. It was the pure right Of mine that they have it and I didn't want them to, Thats it. You get it or your so far up there arse that you don't get what rights mean. 

You do not have that right. The internet is a PUBLIC space. It is the same thing that a cop can arrest you for things that are "in plain sight". A cop can enter your home or car without a search warrant if he can see illegal activity or goods  from where he is standing.

If you're at a crime scene and leave and a cop then tracks you down, you cannot say, "you don't have the right to know if I was there".

Watching a video is not illegal, but you're NOT anonymous on the internet. Search providers track your IPs, servers keep logs of your IP, youtube tracks your IP. You are a person walking down the "street" of the net. And people do know where you are.

You think that just because you don't want them to have your IP, they can't have it?

Allow me to politely guffaw while I contemplate whether to keep 'arguing' with you.

I'm just going to end this here. Sony cannot do anything to you. They cannot look at anything you do online, they cannot target you, they cannot make a case against you. They have no right, and no judge will allow them to do so. This judge didn't allow that, and no judge ever will UNLESS YOU committed an internet crime. (Which you did not, despite how much you wrongheadedly insist that Sony says you did)

Heres the deal, I didn't to sh-t. GEOHOT DID, not me. SO thats my deal . THere you go, no need to enter my car, nothing illegal or my space or even have damn number. I disagree with you. Your using guilty situations to prove your points when I did nothing to have guilt.

What next, are you going to sue the NSA for reading your e-mail and listening to your cellphones calls ???????

Besides Sony isn't asking for your data, it asks for those ISPs to give their customer data ( which you happen to be one if you visited the site...). If you don't want to leave a trace on the internet, don't go on the internet, because every frigging site keeps a record of your visit and the federal government in certain case can even ask your ISP for access to every data you send through it..........

Same thing when a bank is under investigations and a judge asks them to provide the name of all their account holders to the prosecutor. Doesn't mean everyone of them is a criminal....

You do realize that half the mods on this site can see your IP and they could post it and not get into any kind of trouble right ???????

YOu too don't get it. I choose to come to this site. I didn't choose to go to anything sony. get it.

WHY would anything sony seem bad to either of you, It wouldn't. thats why I'm done with you both.

WOW if MS did this you would both have sh-t fit and I've seen MS do less and this site go nuts about it.

You choosed to go to the Geohotz site by cliquing the link, what else do you need ?

I believe his point is that it wasn't a Sony website.  Which is a really basic point to understand, I can't see how you could miss that... since you know.  It was directly in his post.  I bolded it.

Thankyou.

No Problem, all the same, I wouldn't worry about it.  Just because the supeona's were issued doesn't mean they'll be carried out, the third party groups supeoned could still challenge the merits of them, and if used for evidence later in a different trial, you could always sue that the origional supeona's violated the first ammendement, and would probably have the legal funds to do so, due to... basically every outside legal group considering this a gross misuse of a supeona power.

The more interesting part is that Hotz and his lawyers have signed off on it, they clearly don't expect Sony will find enough California downloads.

No doubt each will try and frame it to the judge differntly.  With Sony saying something like "Look at how many thousands of californians downloaded this link!" with Hotz and his lawyers saying "Look at the percentage of people in this like!"

Or they might try and add just the californian residents to the lawsuit, or add some people to the lawsuit who agreed to PSN's terms to tie the lawsuit to California.  Though, like I said, they could then just fight the supeona.

It's something that shouldn't happen, but it shouldn't have negative consequences.  I mean hell, Sony takes more information from everyone who has a PS3.  The amount of information they take via PSN without explaining what they're taking is actually more distrubing if you ask me.  Espiecally since they specifically say they plan to take "only what they see is needed".  Which apparently is, everything you use on your PS3, including movies you watch, periphreals you attach and the TV you own.

bannedagain said:

THis is just for you, I DID NOT READ NON OF THAT.

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH. yoU WASTED YOUR TIME. LOL @ U

EDIT: This post has been quote-trimmed, and moderated for spamming. -d1

wow dude, really?

"YOu too don't get it. I choose to come to this site. I didn't choose to go to anything sony. get it.
WOW if MS did this you would both have sh-t fit and I've seen MS do less and this site go nuts about it."

Shame on you calling people fanboys and then demonstrating your own ignorance.

This is exactly how it feels when I try to explain the health care public option to this "independant" I know.

theprof00 said:
bannedagain said:

THis is just for you, I DID NOT READ NON OF THAT.

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH. yoU WASTED YOUR TIME. LOL @ U

EDIT: This post has been quote-trimmed, and moderated for spamming. -d1

wow dude, really?

"YOu too don't get it. I choose to come to this site. I didn't choose to go to anything sony. get it.
WOW if MS did this you would both have sh-t fit and I've seen MS do less and this site go nuts about it."

Shame on you calling people fanboys and then demonstrating your own ignorance.

This is exactly how it feels when I try to explain the health care public option to this "independant" I know.

You do realize you were wrong though right.

People can be charged for crimes with that information and singled out for prosecution.

In fact, when sony was first denied the supeonas... that was the main reason for the supeonas.  They were denied them because of Hotz legal team fighting it.

Kasz216 said:

People can be charged for crimes with that information and singled out for prosecution.

In fact, when sony was first denied the supeonas... that was the main reason for the supeonas.  They were denied them because of Hotz legal team fighting it.

You do realize that a court can deny a subpeona without needing someone to fight it, correct?

"Court holds that to obtain such information, in light of First Amendment concerns, "the party seeking the information must demonstrate, by a clear showing on the record, that four requirements are met: (1) the subpoena seeking the information was issued in good faith and not for any improper purpose,    (2) the information sought relates to a core claim or defense, (3) the identifying information is directly and materially relevant to that claim or defense, and (4) information sufficient to establish or to disprove that claim or defense is unavailable from any other source."  Finding that the corporation failed to satisfy this "high burden," the Court quashed the subpoena."

I don't know if you're playing a semantics game here kasz, because while yes you can be CHARGED, the case will be thrown out....you will never be CONVICTED. I don't know why you'd choose to focus on what's chargeable when it's obvious the discussion is talking about something a little more tangible.

Using subpoena'd evidence for a reason other than the case at hand breaks the above requirements.....And they will lose both cases.

Watching the youtube, or downloading the file, or visiting his homepage...none of it proves any illegal activity or breach of the DMCA. And yes, AGAIN, they would need to subpeona the IPs for this reason in order to use that information in a case against them.

The only conflicting passage in your link is a very unprofessional, "the judge took Sony at its word, but I don't". Like,.... seriously? THAT IS THE LAW. Doing anything to the people with those IPs would be the biggest mistake Sony could make, both for this case and their image.

How is this even being argued? It is the most illogical argument you could make. It's like me saying, "I have a gun and I'm going to shoot you", and then someone argues, "Not if you shoot yourself in the face".

Around the Network
theprof00 said:
Kasz216 said:

You do realize that a court can deny a subpeona without needing someone to fight it, correct?

"Court holds that to obtain such information, in light of First Amendment concerns, "the party seeking the information must demonstrate, by a clear showing on the record, that four requirements are met: (1) the subpoena seeking the information was issued in good faith and not for any improper purpose,    (2) the information sought relates to a core claim or defense, (3) the identifying information is directly and materially relevant to that claim or defense, and (4) information sufficient to establish or to disprove that claim or defense is unavailable from any other source."  Finding that the corporation failed to satisfy this "high burden," the Court quashed the subpoena."

I don't know if you're playing a semantics game here kasz, because while yes you can be CHARGED, the case will be thrown out....you will never be CONVICTED. I don't know why you'd choose to focus on what's chargeable when it's obvious the discussion is talking about something a little more tangible.

Using subpoena'd evidence for a reason other than the case at hand breaks the above requirements.....And they will lose both cases.

Watching the youtube, or downloading the file, or visiting his homepage...none of it proves any illegal activity or breach of the DMCA. And yes, AGAIN, they would need to subpeona the IPs for this reason in order to use that information in a case against them.

The only conflicting passage in your link is a very unprofessional, "the judge took Sony at its word, but I don't". Like,.... seriously? THAT IS THE LAW. Doing anything to the people with those IPs would be the biggest mistake Sony could make, both for this case and their image.

How is this even being argued? It is the most illogical argument you could make. It's like me saying, "I have a gun and I'm going to shoot you", and then someone argues, "Not if you shoot yourself in the face".

You can, however, it's less likely due to the fact that you've got no one argueing the other side.

You know, if arguemebnts didn't matter.  Lawyers wouldn't bring up issues.

Also... why would it be thrown out?  New evidence found in discovery is fine.  Once they get that information, they can use it for whatever they want. 

If the Supeonas which were ordered are legal... sony can use that information for anything they want.  The only stimpulation on the supeona is that it is "For Lawyers eyes only." which means Sony can't release that information to the public.  Sony can still sue people based on that information though.

The only reason the cases would be thrown out would be if those who were sued later argued that the supeona in which the information was gained was actually illegal and the court ruling was wrong.

I mean, it's pretty simply.

This IP adress downloaded the PS3 crack, which can only be used to bypass our clients security protection, so we want to supeona his identity. (If it isn't static.)

Check.

Ok, so now we want to check his PS3 to see if he downloaded it.  We have probable cause because he owns a PS3 why else would you download it? 

Check.

His PS3 has been cracked, (and he may have pirated games.)

Conviction.  Or more likely settlment, but you get the point.

This is EXACTLY what the RIAA did.

Kasz216 said:

You can, however, it's less likely due to the fact that you've got no one argueing the other side.

Also... why would it be thrown out?  New evidence found in discovery is fine.  Once they get that information, they can use it for whatever they want. 

If the Supeonas which were ordered are legal... sony can use that information for anything they want.  The only stimpulation on the supeona is that it is "For Lawyers eyes only." which means Sony can't release that information to the public.  Sony can still sue people based on that information though.

The only reason the cases would be thrown out would be if those who were sued later argued that the supeona in which the information was gained was actually illegal and the court ruling was wrong.

This IP adress downloaded the PS3 crack, which can only be used to bypass our clients security protection, so we want to supeona his identity. (If it isn't static.)

Check.

Ok, so now we want to check his PS3 to see if he downloaded it.  We have probable cause because he owns a PS3 why else would you download it? 

Check.

I'll let their actions prove me right. I don't know where you are getting this idea that the discovery process allows you to use your information however you want.

Look, they were denied use of the IPs for that purpose in the first case and now you think that they can use them by asking for them for something else? 

"The only reason the cases would be thrown out would be if those who were sued later argued that the supeona in which the information was gained was actually illegal and the court ruling was wrong."

Like,.that.is.exactly.my.point.jpg

and for added humour:

"Hey mom, can I have 5 dollars for candy?"-"No, we are eating dinner soon, and you don't need candy"- "well then, mom, school is having a field trip to, um, the museum of fine arts tomorrow, and they said we need to have cash for it" - "ok, here you go".- "thanks, mom".

"jimmy, how was museum of fine arts?" - "uhh, I didn't go" - "What did you do with those 5 dollars then?" - "I bought candy" - "Oh well that's ok then, because you lied to my face"

theprof00 said:
Kasz216 said:

Check.

Check.

I'll let their actions prove me right. I don't know where you are getting this idea that the discovery process allows you to use your information however you want.

Look, they were denied use of the IPs for that purpose in the first case and now you think that they can use them by asking for them for something else? 

"The only reason the cases would be thrown out would be if those who were sued later argued that the supeona in which the information was gained was actually illegal and the court ruling was wrong."

and for added humour:

"Hey mom, can I have 5 dollars for candy?"-"No, we are eating dinner soon, and you don't need candy"- "well then, mom, school is having a field trip to, um, the museum of fine arts tomorrow, and they said we need to have cash for it" - "ok, here you go".- "thanks, mom".

"jimmy, how was museum of fine arts?" - "uhh, I didn't go" - "What did you do with those 5 dollars then?" - "I bought candy" - "Oh well that's ok then, because you lied to my face"

It's based in reality.

You don't realize why the first Supeona was rejected do you?

It had zero to do with them searching for failoverflow.

And EVERYTHING to do with the Supeona's being too broad.

It was ruled that "by supeonaing that information, too many innocent people would be hurt."

It had nothing to do with the Failoverflow people.

Aside from which.  They'll use that info in this case as well.

Kasz216 said:
theprof00 said:
Kasz216 said:

Check.

Check.

and for added humour:

It's based in reality.

It was ruled that "by supeonaing that information, too many innocent people would be hurt."

Kasz, I know what you're saying. I understand.

In this subpeona, EFF also contested it by saying it was overly broad evidence.

You're implying that the subpeona was overly broad in what they could do with the information, but that is not the case. It was overly broad in the extent of the information. As in, they were searching for failoverflow but the subpoenas would return too many people/ implicate too many people who weren't part of failoverflow. This relates to my point that they can't go after people other than failoverflow/they cannot do anything else with the information. 

This is exactly what your writer comments on in your link; dolphins with the tuna.

But there won't be any dolphins because they aren't looking for the tuna. They are going after Geohotz.

If we are going to have to  agree to disagree, then that is fine. 

We will see what happens.

I firmly believe that they aren't going to go after anyone that downloaded the hack or watched youtube etc etc, unless they file and are approved for a new subpeona.

theprof00 said:
Kasz216 said:
theprof00 said:
Kasz216 said:

Check.

Check.

and for added humour:

It's based in reality.

Kasz, I know what you're saying. I understand.

In this subpeona, EFF also contested it by saying it was overly broad evidence.

You're implying that the subpeona was overly broad in what they could do with the information, but that is not the case. It was overly broad in the extent of the information. As in, they were searching for failoverflow but the subpoenas would return too many people/ implicate too many people who weren't part of failoverflow. This relates to my point that they can't go after people other than failoverflow/they cannot do anything else with the information. 

This is exactly what your writer comments on in your link; dolphins with the tuna.

But there won't be any dolphins because they aren't looking for the tuna. They are going after Geohotz.

If we are going to have to  agree to disagree, then that is fine. 

We will see what happens.

I firmly believe that they aren't going to go after anyone that downloaded the hack or watched youtube etc etc, unless they file and are approved for a new subpeona.

Actually... the Dolphins would be those who went to Gehotz website and DIDN'T download the hack.  Though regardless, this is EXACTLY why the blogger wouldn't take sony at therir word.

There is nothing legally preventing them from using the information to target other people.

It's why you would instead want the supeona narrowed or there specifically to be limits placed on the information by the court, for what it could be used for.  Presumibly tied to a penalty if the documents leaked.

Just how Sony has to put up 10K to pay Geohotz if they lose this lawsuit due to impounding his stuff.