Forums - Sony Discussion - Sony’s War on Makers, Hackers, and Innovators

JamaicameCRAZY said:
Kasz216 said:
JamaicameCRAZY said:
Kasz216 said:
JamaicameCRAZY said:
Kasz216 said:
funkateer said:

Regarding the geohot thing, what the article fails to acknowledge is that Sony is the 'Maker' here, not geohot.

Whether or not there is any legal ground for Sony is imho a bit irrelevant (who thinks the law is always fair anyway?). Even if Sony's agressive stance is smart or not is besides the point.

I feel they have the right to protect their investment, which geohot and the likes are jeopardizing. Sony has been selling their platform under cost price so that customers can afford the thing, meaning to recoup the investment by software. This investment created jobs for god knows how many people developing the platform & the content. That is why the PS3 is a closed platform. Personally I think that's a pretty compelling reason.

If geohot seriously thinks his 'efforts to avoid piracy' are enough than he's really one arrogant (or perhaps just thick and ignorant) kid. Who says his 'efforts' can not be worked around? Did he avoid a PS emulator to be ported? (Sony still sells PS1 games, mind you, so he has actually still opened the door to piracy in a way)

He distributed tools to break security, and that directly jeopardizes the bread and butter of a lot of people. So geohot, is your little hobby worth that? The industry is under enough pressure as it is, so I'd rather see him excercise his skills in a more meaningful way.

My 2cts

Wouldn't that have been solved by... Sony not selling the PS3 for a loss.  You are basically saying, Sony should be protected for making poor buisness decisions, and because tangentially something he did was used in a wrong way.

That's like saying gunmakers should be forced to store owners money because the guns they make may of been used to rob stores that don't have robbery insurance.

Laws shouldn't be crafted around poor buisness decisions.

What would really solve it is.. Geo not trying to break security which would allow him and others access to information conected to peoples wallets/ pirate games/ steal shit. Which is illegal.

He... didn't do that?  He broke the secuirty that prevented a lot of other stuff... and then people went from their and broke into that stuff.

Well except the Credit Card shit... that's been around forever... because Sony doesn't encrypt the information it sends out... because... I have no idea why.

Regardless, it's been consistantly ruled that when a company ties the "legal" protections with the "illegal ones" they lose any right to litigation because they, not the hackers made it so that one had to be breached, to breach the other.

Unless there is a surprise ruling... they should lose on that count.

which is Negligence/Carelessness.

No, I think Sony did it on purpose personally.  I wouldn't say they were being negligent or careless so much as they didn't care because they thought they had an unbeatable sysetm.

Though the not encrypting peoples credit card numbers was negligent and careless.  They could get sued for that.

Wow, very childish.

How many problems were there with the psn before he came along? How many are there now? The Psn and ps3 were fine before him from the inside sure its not a good system but for what 4years its been fine. He was very negligent and careless which is while he'll likely get sued for damages.

do you eve know what negligence and carelessness means in legal terms.

geohot does not work for sony, he is not liable at all for anything relating to negligence or carelessness.

if anything geohot will WIN this case due to a ruling that Sony was negilgent or careless in their encoding of the system.   meaning that in order to do something legal, illegal doors were opened. 

Be like if you bought a house, but were not given a key.  You thus went to the task of unlocking the house, or finding a way inside your own house.   You getting inside your own house is completely legal, you have done nothing wrong.  Is it your fault then if for some dumbass reason Sony decided to keep all their money stashed inside your house?  No that is negligence/carelessness on SONY's part.

Around the Network
Kasz216 said:
huaxiong90 said:
Kasz216 said:

"American point of view"?

I'm talking about what people in Brazil tell me... and what i've read from Brazil.

So it's a Brazillian point of view.

The market is all blackmarket and piracy because the prices are too high.  Occasionally with buying a console from the stores at full price then hacking it.

Example article I just found

http://www.gamasutra.com/view/news/26645/Analysis_Inside_Brazils_Video_Game_Ecosystem.php

Apparently Brazil USED to be a great place to buy games... till the prices went all insane.  Now it's just buy the consoles and piracy.  How do you stop piracy?  By offering software at a price that people want to buy it at.  How do you raise piracy, by having unreasonable prices that people aren't going to buy it at.  It's that simple.

http://www.escapistmagazine.com/articles/view/issues/issue_201/6059-A-Nation-of-Pirates

Intersetingly they have different numbers money wise then the Per Capita GDP... and hilarious alarmism.

That's still technically an "American" point of view.

O-)

Yeah, the actual from Brazil people i've talked too aren't quotable articles... but actual people.

Who used to be on this site.  Heck, I'm sure if any brazilians were walking by they'd back me up.  Though I'm sure they tend to avoid piracy threads... because everyone pirates... pretty much because they have too... thanks to their dumb government.

just ignore him.  when talking abotu money and poor people you get idiots.  they will talk about poor people like INSANE poor, like they don't even have electricity or television.  Well no shit they aren't going to save up for a ps3 if they don't even have a tv.

Remember in order to have a ps3, you need a TV and electricity.  so before you start thinking about how poor some family is and how exagerated you want your story to be, remember for them to even consider a ps3, they first need a tv adn electricity.  bringing up anyone who does not have both is pointless.  thats like someone bitching abou the price of gas who doesn't own a car.

irstupid said:

just ignore him.  when talking abotu money and poor people you get idiots.  they will talk about poor people like INSANE poor, like they don't even have electricity or television.  Well no shit they aren't going to save up for a ps3 if they don't even have a tv.

Remember in order to have a ps3, you need a TV and electricity.  so before you start thinking about how poor some family is and how exagerated you want your story to be, remember for them to even consider a ps3, they first need a tv adn electricity.  bringing up anyone who does not have both is pointless.  thats like someone bitching abou the price of gas who doesn't own a car.

Clearly you didn't read my post afterwards. I was joking (South "American", it's an easy concept).

And yeah, you've been reported.

Rockstar: Announce Bully 2 already and make gamers proud!

Kojima: Come out with Project S already!

The article is in error. Sony could not successfully sue Connectix, because the Connectix product was properly reversed engineered. In the end, Sony bought the Connectix Virtual GameStation for an undisclosed amount. They promptly shelved the product. Problem solved.