By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - What happens if the FPS genre crashes the way music games have?

Another factor for FPS vs music games is that FPS' are FAR more popular than music games ever were. COD sells over 10m copies every year, so even if a large number of people say 'I don't want to buy this anymore', the game will probably still sell millions and draw huge revenue. And even if COD miraculously slumps, there's always Halo, Gears of War, and on a smaller scale Medal of Honour (along with the dozens of other FPS's that get released every year) for the genre to fall back on.

Around the Network

At this point it is as likely as the sports game genre crashing. Infact FPS games have become a sport in themselves, so no not ever going to happen.

Tease.

While being the most popular genre while gaming has become very mainstream, FPS is not going anywhere for a while.

People have been playing the same FPS mechanics for years, and it never gets old.  Almost all the new games have the same mechanics as the old games, just refined or with little variations - ex. COD is almost like any hitscan/instagib game mode, Halo is more oldschool w/ powerups and weapons pickups, etc.

Most of the newer games have features that were prototyped on the PC side by the modding community, got popular and then added it to games by devs.

Maybe because music games were, based on a novelty. I can see Kinect, Wii, this motion crap, going out of style like music games have, eventually. But the demise of music games is more to do with the novelty input than the way the games play. 

That and of course, they have very little gameplay, and one isn't actually significantly different from another... the music games, might as well have all been the same game. Tracklist aside. 

Around the Network

No one has mentioned that the expense of music games have had something to do with its decline. Your putting out several different GH/RBs etc. a year and some of them need to be bought with some large periphial. That crap gets expensive real quick not to mention the various spinoffs that they charge full price for. FPS' all you need is K/M, regular controller or Wiimote. Or if you wanna be fancy you can get a gun attachment and/or Move, even those arent expensive by comparison

Just a note, Gears is not an FPS.

Now I dunno what will happen but I believe FPS games will still sell. For me personally as well I mean I really don't care if a game has an annual release such as CoD or releasing AC Brotherhood a year after AC II as long as I find it fun and great to play. I will pay for it.

So even if the FPS genre crashes, I will still buy the FPS games that appeal to me. So for example if the FPS genre is in a crisis status and a new Killzone is coming out, I would buy it.

First, the FPS genre will never crash the way the music genre and Tony Hawk genre beforehand. It has too long of an entrenched history first becoming a phenomenon in PC gaming, then again with consoles beginning with Goldeneye for the Nintendo 64 (some would say Halo, but they don't know what the hell they are talking about and need a history lesson).

If the FPS genre crashes on consoles, it will be a major boost to PC gaming as the FPS genre and developers who made their rep off of it will flee to develop them for PC gaming.

The genre that will benefit the most is the duck and cover, 3rd person shooter genre. Currently, Gears of War and games like it are palatable substitutes for FPS games. I would say action-adventure, but Gears of War and duck and cover, 3rd person shooters are included in that wide genre.

I doubt that they will crash, but I might be happy if they did- it would depend on what replaces them. (The reason for my joy would be that it removes from the limelight one of the things that people love to point to for legislation.) I can see 3 things replacing them:

• Platformers (again). These are seeing a resurgance again in popularity, and if things continue forward, it may lead to a renassaince type of gaming for these. This would be my happiest situation
  • "Interactive movie" games. Both the type that know they are (Heavy Rain) and the type that pretend they aren't (FF13). Many people seem to like this alternate way of telling a story that's really been picking up lately. Happiness-wise, it'd be okay, I guess?
  • Sandboxes. Games like GTA5 could be allowed to fill the limelight and flourish. It's already a very popular genre with surprisingly few games; the FPS fans may move on to this other "hardcore" category, causing further sales growth and getting the attention of many other developers. But I'd not be happy with this; I feel that this would increase the chance of some asinine law getting through.

-dunno001

-On a quest for the truly perfect game; I don't think it exists...

In terms of FPS games, it's as much the game as the social interactions that fuels sales.

One of the reasons some people may continue to buy the new versions of the COD franchise is because of Status. When you buy the new game, you signal to everyone on your friends list that you can buy the new game, and you're going to have new achievements, and whatever other psycological benefits one can gain from buying the new version. There will always be that core group that buy it for additional achievements or want an updated experience. Once some players move the rest follow.

If FPS manage to somehow crash, I would say MMOs or games like Farmville will replace them. Games with various social interactions and lots of rewards.