By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Sony makes yet another major mistake

wonder how many games Soleron has 'backed up'

Around the Network
buglebum said:
Icyedge said:

Stop you nonsense bubblegum, its getting ridiculous. When you have tool to reverse engineer or to make custom firmware you have automatically part or full of the original code in it. Its linked together.

"Guys, i don’t joke, it’s serious.
And to prove it, i kept my word and uploaded all my HV reversing stuff."

That isn't true in the slightest, what makes you think that?

The end user downloads the original Sony firmware, the hacker provides the tools to modify that firmware. The hacker provides no copyrighted code.

Even the decryption key that geohot provided isn't copyrighted, since it can be derived by reversing without knowledge of trade secrets. It's questionable if a decryption key can even be copyrighted in the first place from my understanding but I can't be sure of that. Would be curious to know if anyone knows better.

You create a CFW with a patch that replace some of the original files with modified files of the same name. Its the only way to trick the system into thinking its legit. Once that done, then yes you can also script your own files to add features to the CFW.

Icyedge said:
buglebum said:
Icyedge said:

Stop you nonsense bubblegum, its getting ridiculous. When you have tool to reverse engineer or to make custom firmware you have automatically part or full of the original code in it. Its linked together.

"Guys, i don’t joke, it’s serious.
And to prove it, i kept my word and uploaded all my HV reversing stuff."

That isn't true in the slightest, what makes you think that?

The end user downloads the original Sony firmware, the hacker provides the tools to modify that firmware. The hacker provides no copyrighted code.

Even the decryption key that geohot provided isn't copyrighted, since it can be derived by reversing without knowledge of trade secrets. It's questionable if a decryption key can even be copyrighted in the first place from my understanding but I can't be sure of that. Would be curious to know if anyone knows better.

You create a CFW with a patch that replace some of the original files with modified files of the same name. Its the only way to trick the system into thinking its legit. Once that done, then yes you can also script your own files to add features to the CFW.

True, but that is not illegal.

Those patches modify the firmware - but geohothacker is not the person that offers those full modified files for download. It's a fine line and it hasn't been crossed. All the modifiying is done at the user end, if I'm wrong please correct me as I have done the hack myself and that's how it works from my understanding.

You do need a modified file to get the PS3 to accept the hacked firmware, but that file isn't provided by geohothacker etc (in this case).

buglebum said:
phinch1 said:

Sony make another major mistake!

is that title for real? the code is already out there, whats he done? only released it again,the damage has been done. Sony is making a statment here, mess with their system and they WILL find you and bring the law to your door.

Sony knew what his threat was they just wanted him to admit it publicly that he has released it, this should go down nicley in court.

He has been completely open that he's been working on this stuff, you don't know what you're talking about. If you don't follow the details don't talk like you do thanx.

This guy has done nothing except release some information. He's hasn't released custom firmware, or anything copyrighted by Sony.

VGchartz is the only forums (other than Sony official ones) where Sony is supported in this nonsense. I was warned for calling someone a fanboy here the other day, but crikey it's hard not to link the two things...All the Sony fans are supporting Sony to the hilt...Nobody gave a rats arse when the Xbox 360 was jtag hacked and wii etc. The PSN hole has been fixed, really don't know what you guys problem is.

Where's the free thinking?

underlined i like how you tired to make it sound less serious , yes he relased information.......information that was illigal
to release...... hens the police

Horrorfest said:

Good, fuck all of the hackers. Low life, pieces of shit.

Why don't you do some research on hackers before making mis-informed comments.  Hackers have made computers what they are today and without them, we would be years behind what we currently are.  Bill Gates and Steve Jobs started as hackers.

Around the Network

I am once again baffled by how many people are supporting Sony on this. A guy is known to have been hacking his PS3 and has released none of his work online. Sony busts him because he is known to have been working on hacking his PS3. As a result he releases all his findings to the world(which is a dumb move by Mr. hacker). How can anyone support Sony in this? I hope Sony gets sued into obivion for all this shit.

Its already 2 months in to the year and Sony is a front runer for both the dumbest and shittiest company of the year.

Getting an XBOX One for me is like being in a bad relationship but staying together because we have kids. XBone we have 20000+ achievement points, 2+ years of XBL Gold and 20000+ MS points. I think its best we stay together if only for the MS points.

Nintendo Treehouse is what happens when a publisher is confident and proud of its games and doesn't need to show CGI lies for five minutes.

-Jim Sterling

Horrorfest said:

Good, fuck all of the hackers. Low life, pieces of shit.

You do realize that many of the people in the tech industry were hackers at some point. There are even CEOs of some of the biggest computer companies that were hackers. Probably a good number of people who designed the PS3 or worked on its components were hackers at some point. Who do you think designed the security for the PS3 and most everything else security related, hackers most likely.

Anyone can guess. It takes no effort to throw out lots of predictions and have some of them be correct. You are not and wiser or better for having your guesses be right. Even a blind man can hit the bullseye.

Wow, if this keeps up, the word "hacker" will soon be the word not to be uttered by anyone.

Let's be clear here. What this guy has done is reverse engineer an existing product. Reverse engineering doesn't involve modifying the internals, because that would affect the end results. What he's doing is treating the hypervisor drivers as a "black box", inputting some info and seeing what comes out of it, and drawing conclusion that way.

Reverse engineering is perfectly legal, hell is even protected under law, as it's used for research purposes. Sony's software was never compromised in this case. They'r ejust mad that somebody is using it in a way that they don't like.

buglebum said:
markers said:

Uploading it and then publicly admitting it is bad for him

Get a clue bud, uploading and publicly admitting what?

His work on exploiting the HV!? He's done nothing wrong, exactly like geohot, but this is even less difficult to defend against ignorant people.

Dude he is an accessory. You need to get a clue. He did something illegal, you know something that is against the law.

EDIT: If he exploited the HV for personal use then yes that is legal for him. But to upload it for all to have, knowing that this can and will lead to illegal activities and then publicly admitting his actions, makes him an accessory to any piracy that follows the uploads. Sony has a case for both geohot and now this guy. 

markers said:
buglebum said:
markers said:

Uploading it and then publicly admitting it is bad for him

Get a clue bud, uploading and publicly admitting what?

His work on exploiting the HV!? He's done nothing wrong, exactly like geohot, but this is even less difficult to defend against ignorant people.

Dude he is an accessory. You need to get a clue. He did something illegal, you know something that is against the law.

Question: Are emulator programmers classed as an accessory to piracy? Think long and hard now, because there have been actual court cases on this issue...