By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Ps3 price drop/new model coming soon?

NotStan said:
phinch1 said:
NotStan said:

if it's a completely new model and uses a new code, won't the people who purchased older models get shafted? I don't think the code problem can be solved short of launching new hardware, I am probably mistaken.

Sony and hackers have both said, the only way to stop it would be a new key in a new model, but i do agree anyone with an older model can still do the hacks

What I thought was, games will require both the old key and the new key to work on both the older and newer systems, in which case hackers can just limit the use to older systems. If PS3 is updated with the new code(somehow) what prevents the hackers from obtaining the new code in the same place? I really have no clue how console revision will help, maybe someone with expertise can shed some light on the matter.

maybe the new key games would be limited to the new games and older games left to the pirates - like remember they postponed GT5's release so they'd make it only work with the new firmware, older games still worked with the older firmware etc.

very hard to say lol

OT: i thought the discounts were for all the consoles?

GDC is so close now lol

Proud Sony Rear Admiral

Around the Network
bannedagain said:
zuvuyeay said:
bannedagain said:

No it's just a rumor as of now, so maybe but all in all they need to make money.  Maybe these are the ps3's others where saying sony stuffed the channels with and they need to get ride of them to restuff. LOL

Is block busters  ps3's used or new. I never knew they sold new consoles.  I have never seen them do that or see them up for sale unless they where used models.

blockbusters sell new consoles over here

YEA, I don't think they do over here. I live near chicago. So maybe it's different around here or I don't pay attention enough But I do go buy used dvd's all the time and have never seen any for sale.

I am pretty sure they sold new systems in Austin, Texas.  However, both those locations are shut down now.  Blockbuster is struggling to stay alive.  There was a news article awhile back about them going bankruptcy route.  Either way Blockbuster will soon be a thing of the past.  They pissed too many people off with their late fees and inflated prices.  Netflix and Redbox were the perfect one-two combo to destroy the crappy empire they once were.

I thought Tesco discounts were for all the consoles?

Spankey said:
NotStan said:
phinch1 said:
NotStan said:

if it's a completely new model and uses a new code, won't the people who purchased older models get shafted? I don't think the code problem can be solved short of launching new hardware, I am probably mistaken.

Sony and hackers have both said, the only way to stop it would be a new key in a new model, but i do agree anyone with an older model can still do the hacks

What I thought was, games will require both the old key and the new key to work on both the older and newer systems, in which case hackers can just limit the use to older systems. If PS3 is updated with the new code(somehow) what prevents the hackers from obtaining the new code in the same place? I really have no clue how console revision will help, maybe someone with expertise can shed some light on the matter.

maybe the new key games would be limited to the new games and older games left to the pirates - like remember they postponed GT5's release so they'd make it only work with the new firmware, older games still worked with the older firmware etc.

very hard to say lol

GDC is so close now lol

Yeah but does that not mean that the people with older console if the games are limited to new key won't they be playable on the PS3s that use older keys? After all, not everyone has hacked theirs.

Disconnect and self destruct, one bullet a time.

gamefanatik said:

all those are in euros so I don't think so, compared to exchange rates europeans get ripped off when it comes to gaming, so the retailers have more room to cut, more likely its a sign of europeans getting fairer prices 

Nothing listed above was in euros......£ pound sign

Around the Network
phinch1 said:
gamefanatik said:

all those are in euros so I don't think so, compared to exchange rates europeans get ripped off when it comes to gaming, so the retailers have more room to cut, more likely its a sign of europeans getting fairer prices

We do get dogged though, quite alot. In order to have prices on par with Americans the price would have to be about £200, we paid £50 more than that prior to this drop, if retailers in US make profit at £200, it's no wonder that some are willing to get rid of their consoles for lower. Question is whether it's a case of overstocking by retailers or incoming price cut/remodel. But I don't know what to think, I thought I saw an article where the SCE CEO stated that it's more important to stay profitable than beat Microsoft? It could swing either way, I wouldn't be surprised if it's remodel but I really don't see what's new that can be added without screwing the older buyers.

NotStan said:
phinch1 said:
gamefanatik said:

We do get dogged though, quite alot. In order to have prices on par with Americans the price would have to be about £200, we paid £50 more than that prior to this drop, if retailers in US make profit at £200, it's no wonder that some are willing to get rid of their consoles for lower. Question is whether it's a case of overstocking by retailers or incoming price cut/remodel. But I don't know what to think, I thought I saw an article where the SCE CEO stated that it's more important to stay profitable than beat Microsoft? It could swing either way, I wouldn't be surprised if it's remodel but I really don't see what's new that can be added without screwing the older buyers.

Yeah it's ridiculous how much extra we pay in the UK, even the games are quite high priced, but I don't think its the stores making profit, I think its the Tax in this country.

Spankey said:
NotStan said:
phinch1 said:
NotStan said:

very hard to say lol

GDC is so close now lol

Could the older games not be updated maybe to play on the new keys? I;m not entirley sure how it works tbh

phinch1 said:
Spankey said:

very hard to say lol

GDC is so close now lol

Could the older games not be updated maybe to play on the new keys? I;m not entirley sure how it works tbh

I'm not sure - perhaps they'll release a patch per game. but imo that would be a bit pointless (not to mention time consuming) or just wash their hands and leave the older games to the dogs pirates. perhaps it would work if the games are predominantly online based (therefore requiring patches) provided someone doesn't just get a private server or two going or something

Proud Sony Rear Admiral

Spankey said:
phinch1 said:
Spankey said:

very hard to say lol

GDC is so close now lol

I'm not sure - perhaps they'll release a patch per game. but imo that would be a bit pointless (not to mention time consuming) or just wash their hands and leave the older games to the dogs pirates. perhaps it would work if the games are predominantly online based (therefore requiring patches) provided someone doesn't just get a private server or two going or something

I don't think that releasing a new model that requires altogether new keys will be the best of solutions, after all the douchebags are a minority and it will end up screwing over the already existing base of legitimate players, one in ten thousand would be a rough approximation of those who are considering tampering with the console, so what are the others to do short of purchasing a new console?