By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Ps3 price drop/new model coming soon?

The ps3 160gb is being sold in the UK for a low price by a number of retailers with the latest being blockbusters.
Ps3 deals are

Blockbusters-160gb ps3 -£164:99, This offer is available instore only
Tescos- 160gb ps3- £196
Tescos-120gb ps3-£207
Tescos-320bg GT bundle ps3- £228
Tescos-320gb LBP bundle ps3-£228
Hmv - 160gb ps3- £179:99 instore only
Currys -160gb ps3-£196, online only-instore price £229:50
Amazon-160gb ps3 - £196

Will other Stores soon follow?  is this the start of a price drop, or is it a bit deeper and there getting rid of the current ps3's to make way for new ps3's which have a new key and can't be hacked!  whats do you guys think?

http://direct.tesco.com/q/N.2000229/Nr.99.aspx?Ns=P_HIDDEN_Stock_Available|1||P_SORT_Price&btnResultSort.x=10&btnResultSort.y=4

UPDATED!

Asda become the latest to drop the price of the 160gb ps3

Asda ps3 -£175:99
PC world -£170

The next two weeks for Europe i can see very high sales

Around the Network

if it's a completely new model and uses a new code, won't the people who purchased older models get shafted? I don't think the code problem can be solved short of launching new hardware, I am probably mistaken.

Disconnect and self destruct, one bullet a time.

NotStan said:

if it's a completely new model and uses a new code, won't the people who purchased older models get shafted? I don't think the code problem can be solved short of launching new hardware, I am probably mistaken.

Sony and hackers have both said, the only way to stop it would be a new key in a new model, but i do agree anyone with an older model can still do the hacks

phinch1 said:
NotStan said:

Sony and hackers have both said, the only way to stop it would be a new key in a new model, but i do agree anyone with an older model can still do the hacks

What I thought was, games will require both the old key and the new key to work on both the older and newer systems, in which case hackers can just limit the use to older systems. If PS3 is updated with the new code(somehow) what prevents the hackers from obtaining the new code in the same place? I really have no clue how console revision will help, maybe someone with expertise can shed some light on the matter.

Disconnect and self destruct, one bullet a time.

whatever is going on,you'd expect to see a spike for ps3's in the uk at these prices

Above & Beyond

Around the Network

No it's just a rumor as of now, so maybe but all in all they need to make money.  Maybe these are the ps3's others where saying sony stuffed the channels with and they need to get ride of them to restuff. LOL

Is block busters  ps3's used or new. I never knew they sold new consoles.  I have never seen them do that or see them up for sale unless they where used models.

zuvuyeay said:

whatever is going on,you'd expect to see a spike for ps3's in the uk at these prices

Si

bannedagain said:

No it's just a rumor as of now, so maybe but all in all they need to make money.  Maybe these are the ps3's others where saying sony stuffed the channels with and they need to get ride of them to restuff. LOL

Is block busters  ps3's used or new. I never knew they sold new consoles.  I have never seen them do that or see them up for sale unless they where used models.

blockbusters sell new consoles over here

Above & Beyond

zuvuyeay said:
bannedagain said:

blockbusters sell new consoles over here

YEA, I don't think they do over here. I live near chicago. So maybe it's different around here or I don't pay attention enough But I do go buy used dvd's all the time and have never seen any for sale.

all those are in euros so I don't think so, compared to exchange rates europeans get ripped off when it comes to gaming, so the retailers have more room to cut, more likely its a sign of europeans getting fairer prices