By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Why don't western 3rd party developers support Nintendosystems?

No that's not the reason i dont like nintendo.

I trust no one, not even myself.

Around the Network

I dont know if or why not these companies havnt really thought about it, but when you treat a customer with a certain system the way some of these have. They have lost a customer for years to come. Being I am almost always except atm this Gen a multi home system owner, thats a big chunk of change they will not be getting.

Games4Fun said:

I dont know if or why not these companies havnt really thought about it, but when you treat a customer with a certain system the way some of these have. They have lost a customer for years to come. Being I am almost always except atm this Gen a multi home system owner, thats a big chunk of change they will not be getting.

Which likely means even those that support the 3DS will have lost customers due to the DS and Wii treatment. They sure lost me.

A flashy-first game is awesome when it comes out. A great-first game is awesome forever.

Plus, just for the hell of it: Kelly Brook at the 2008 BAFTAs

The bottom line is that the core Nintendo fan doesn't buy anything that isn't made by Nintendo, so why bother developing for the systems?  And Nintendo fans seem to have some sort of problem with first-person games or anything with a plotline more mature than your average saturday-morning cartoon.*

*Slight exaggeration.  But seriously, when you see what I see--where the Nintendo kiddies prefer the childish ham-fisted anime-style writing of Metroid Other M to the mature, thoughtful discovery and exploration-based narrative of Western-produced Metroid Prime games...   Well, clearly Nintendo supporters aren't interested in mature Western gaming anyway.  How many of you bought Eternal Darkness?  Compared to the Japanesey games on the GameCube, seems like it was just me.

Grand Theft Auto: Chinatown Wars and Dead Space Extraction were Western-developer helmed games, but Nintendo fanboys couldn't find enough to hate in those gems.  I know this because I get flamed with "why those highly rated titles actually suck" every time I mention them on here.

Because people don't buy the games they make.

Examples:

- Red Steel (1 did okay but 2 flopped)

- Goldeneye (1.03 million which is good, but lets be honest it would probably be at like 3 million already on 360)

- Black Ops (only 0.79m compared to like 10 million already on 360)

- Metroid Other M - I know this is made by Nintendo but its more a western audience targeted type game and it's flopped so far with just 0.78m sales.

And also because non-mainstream games don't sell well in general on the Wii. The top 10 selling Wii games all have something to do with Mario or are the Wii series (sports, fit, etc.). The best selling game not in these 2 categories is a cheap party game (Just Dance 2). Where's the motivation to make an expensive high quality game when if you make a cheap game called "Wii fun party time" its an automatic million seller. 

Around the Network
Chairman-Mao said:

Because people don't buy the games they make.

Examples:

- Red Steel (1 did okay but 2 flopped)

- Goldeneye (1.03 million which is good, but lets be honest it would probably be at like 3 million already on 360)

- Black Ops (only 0.79m compared to like 10 million already on 360)

- Metroid Other M - I know this is made by Nintendo but its more a western audience targeted type game and it's flopped so far with just 0.78m sales.

And also because non-mainstream games don't sell well in general on the Wii. The top 10 selling Wii games all have something to do with Mario or are the Wii series (sports, fit, etc.). The best selling game not in these 2 categories is a cheap party game (Just Dance 2). Where's the motivation to make an expensive high quality game when if you make a cheap game called "Wii fun party time" its an automatic million seller. 

Goldeney is the first Wii FPS that is quality, marketed, and not inferior to anything on the other systems. ANY SUCH GAME would have trouble with that. As in it's not magically because the 360 makes the game sell but because there ARE games that the FPS players want.

Call of Duty skipped the breakthrough game until 2 years later, where it was released with no marketing. 3 was when the situation was equal, and it sold as well as the PS3 version.

Other M wasn't because of the targeting but because it was loaded with a bad story, when the game is about blasting aliens in a vast world.

And it's not true that non mainstream games don't sell well. And if you mean niche games, it's that they are niche games, and sales show they are still niched on the other systems (Valkiria Chronicles and Disgaea).

A flashy-first game is awesome when it comes out. A great-first game is awesome forever.

Resident_Hazard said:

The bottom line is that the core Nintendo fan doesn't buy anything that isn't made by Nintendo, so why bother developing for the systems?  And Nintendo fans seem to have some sort of problem with first-person games or anything with a plotline more mature than your average saturday-morning cartoon.*

*Slight exaggeration.  But seriously, when you see what I see--where the Nintendo kiddies prefer the childish ham-fisted anime-style writing of Metroid Other M to the mature, thoughtful discovery and exploration-based narrative of Western-produced Metroid Prime games...   Well, clearly Nintendo supporters aren't interested in mature Western gaming anyway.  How many of you bought Eternal Darkness?  Compared to the Japanesey games on the GameCube, seems like it was just me.

Grand Theft Auto: Chinatown Wars and Dead Space Extraction were Western-developer helmed games, but Nintendo fanboys couldn't find enough to hate in those gems.  I know this because I get flamed with "why those highly rated titles actually suck" every time I mention them on here.

Why do you continually perpetuate the notion that 'Nintendo kiddies' prefer Other M over Metroid Prime? Have you actually read any of the threads on here? Other M has taken an absolute beating from Nintendo fans here. Hell, some have chosen to pretend the game doesn't exist because it's tarnished the series so badly...

Furthermore, this site that is supposedly full of Nintendo fans has rated Other M the lowest of any of the home console Metroid games.

Quite frankly, what you're suggesting is nonsense.

For the record, I bought Eternal Darkness, I bought Chinatown Wars, and I bought Dead Space Extraction. I also bought MadWorld, Red Steel 2, No More Heroes 1&2... I could keep going here, but I need not bother. I didn't buy Wii Music, or Wii Fit, and there are plenty of Nintendo franchises that I do not enjoy.

Not everybody is a stereotype, perhaps if you understood this you wouldn't be getting banned every five minutes...

VGChartz

LordTheNightKnight said:

Other M wasn't because of the targeting but because it was loaded with a bad story, when the game is about blasting aliens in a vast world.

I've always felt that the Metroid franchise was very much more Western than anything else Nintendo made.  In large part, due to it's history that the franchise has typically been much more popular outside Japan than within.  All the Prime games (including Hunters) solidified this Western appeal, and built upon it crafting some of the most Western-styled games Nintendo ever published.  Other M upends this, and dumps the more mature and Western narrative and style for a flash-in-the-pan, largely immature anime-hued (and broken) plotline.  I have, in all my years, never felt anything anime-like in Metroid.  And seeing it in Other M, among other things, just felt out of place.  Wrong, even.

Kinda the way the anime-themed new Hard Corps: Uprising doesn't look or feel anything like the Contra games I know and love.  I played the demo and it left a foul taste in my mouth.  Contra ReBirth on the Wii, however--is fucking awesome.  

(If only Konami would release the ReBirth games together on a disk...)

milkyjoe said:
Resident_Hazard said:

Why do you continually perpetuate the notion that 'Nintendo kiddies' prefer Other M over Metroid Prime? Have you actually read any of the threads on here? Other M has taken an absolute beating from Nintendo fans here. Hell, some have chosen to pretend the game doesn't exist because it's tarnished the series so badly...

Furthermore, this site that is supposedly full of Nintendo fans has rated Other M the lowest of any of the home console Metroid games.

Quite frankly, what you're suggesting is nonsense.

For the record, I bought Eternal Darkness, I bought Chinatown Wars, and I bought Dead Space Extraction. I also bought MadWorld, Red Steel 2, No More Heroes 1&2... I could keep going here, but I need not bother. I didn't buy Wii Music, or Wii Fit, and there are plenty of Nintendo franchises that I do not enjoy.

Not everybody is a stereotype, perhaps if you understood this you wouldn't be getting banned every five minutes...

Actually, I once abandoned this site for about a month because the "Nintendo kiddies" wouldn't stop trying to tell me that the childish storyline and totally gimped exploration of Other M was "ever so superior to the Prime games."  If what you're saying is true, that Other M has fallen quite low in the ratings on this site, then what I originally said back then (right after I finished the game when it launched) has turned out to be true:

I said that if people give it time and let the initial happiness of Other M sink in for a while, and if they think on it for a while, they'd start disliking, hating, or even resenting the game.  I was initially really happy with it... the first two hours or so maybe.  After it sunk in, and as I physically cringed at the design of the game and that wretched storytelling, it didn't take long before my initial joy was buried by reeling hatred and pained disappointment.  

I would also note that stereotypes don't come from nowhere, unfortunately.  Quite literally, near every time I've mentioned some of the better third party games for the Wii or DS, I've been attacked on all fronts as to why I'm a moron and how they actually suck.  Seriously, people on here told me Chinatown Wars sucked just because it wasn't another exact clone of GTA3 or San Andreas.  "No, that's not what we wanted, we wanted the same old GTA with some kind of touch-screen controls."  That would've been lame!

And, doesn't it piss you off that a true classic like Eternal Darkness never found the audience it deserved?  For what it's worth, I do consider myself a Nintendo fan and I do buy all kinds of 3rd party games--often I find Nintendo's choices irritating (like, again, Other M).  I almost bought Dead Space Extraction during a GameStop sale, but I wanted it in it's original case, and they didn't have it that way.  Next time, maybe.

Resident_Hazard said:
LordTheNightKnight said:

I've always felt that the Metroid franchise was very much more Western than anything else Nintendo made.  In large part, due to it's history that the franchise has typically been much more popular outside Japan than within.  All the Prime games (including Hunters) solidified this Western appeal, and built upon it crafting some of the most Western-styled games Nintendo ever published.  Other M upends this, and dumps the more mature and Western narrative and style for a flash-in-the-pan, largely immature anime-hued (and broken) plotline.  I have, in all my years, never felt anything anime-like in Metroid.  And seeing it in Other M, among other things, just felt out of place.  Wrong, even.

Kinda the way the anime-themed new Hard Corps: Uprising doesn't look or feel anything like the Contra games I know and love.  I played the demo and it left a foul taste in my mouth.  Contra ReBirth on the Wii, however--is fucking awesome.  

(If only Konami would release the ReBirth games together on a disk...)

And bad anime at that.