By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Why don't western 3rd party developers support Nintendosystems?

Why do western 3rd party developers/publishers not make games for Nintendo systems. Do they hate Nintendo or somthing? Every generation there is a new excuse to not develop for Nintendo. Some developers even troll Nintendo for some unknown reason.   (Cough EpicGames cough)

SNES era- "Nintendo is kiddy, Sega is so much cooler"

N64 era- "Cartridges suck and are outdated" (That one is legit)

GCN era- "Nintendo is still kiddy", "GCN is a toy"

Wii era-  " Motion controls are gimmicky" 

and here is our prime example:

Around the Network

Better options for the kind of stuff they're developing for in Xbox's case, which was made for easy PC Porting, and made more sense for them to focus on over GameCube. Western devs did give N64 pretty good support (as far as N64 third party support went, at any rate)

In Wii's case they again have an easier set to port PC games over from, though that excuse dries up when iPhone and Mobile platforms come into play. Before mobile platforms appeared, the power excuse was valid. Now, however? It bears some thinking

Monster Hunter: pissing me off since 2010.

Because they're Sony biased.

SNES had huge western support.

N64 got pretty great western 3rd party support honestly.  Midway, Acclaim, Factor 5, Ubisoft, Actvision, LucasArts, THQ, EA... lots of western developers and publishers banked on the system and made a lot of cash (while the Japanese almost universally ignored it).  It usually had superior multiplatform games too (007 TWINE, MK4, Rayman 2, Hydro Thunder, etc) when compared to the PS1 versions.

I think a lot of the western enthusiasm for N64 migrated to Xbox instead of GameCube in the next cycle.

an important reason is that 3rd party devs mostly give games for the "core gamers" if they supported the wii dev costs would be less but but the game will flop.

Being in 3rd place never felt so good

Around the Network

I dunno.. They like making games that go "kill kill kill" and games that go "kill kill kill" don't sell very well on Nintendo systems when compared to other systems? Seems reasonable enough.

I mean, even if the GTA/CoD fanbase had been established on Nintendo consoles, I still can't see those games outperforming the franchises' PS2/HD sales on Nintendo consoles.

“These are my principles; if you don’t like them, I have others.” – Groucho Marx

Immortal said:

I dunno.. They like making games that go "kill kill kill" and games that go "kill kill kill" don't sell very well on Nintendo systems when compared to other systems? Seems reasonable enough.

I mean, even if the GTA/CoD fanbase had been established on Nintendo consoles, I still can't see those games outperforming the franchises' PS2/HD sales on Nintendo consoles.

They never tried to begin with.

On N64, FPS's like GoldenEye, Perfect Dark and Turok were quite popular. Why? Because they made major effort in it. Now these kind of games when it comes to a Nintendo console is an inferior version made by a second-grade developer instead of the main developer.

DrYon said:
Immortal said:

On N64, FPS's like GoldenEye, Perfect Dark and Turok were quite popular. Why? Because they made major effort in it. Now these kind of games when it comes to a Nintendo console is an inferior version made by a second-grade developer instead of the main developer.

and they get mad at us, or blame us for not buying them.

we are not stupid.  just like all other products in teh market, if your product is inferior, then price it so. lets see you release a shitty tv and price it the same as the best tv in the market and see how you do selling wise.

same for games, if your not going to do a good job on said game then don't price it at $50

zgamer5 said:

an important reason is that 3rd party devs mostly give games for the "core gamers" if they supported the wii dev costs would be less but but the game will flop.

Wii's flop ratio is probably comparable to PS3 or 360.  For every Red Steel 2 or Spyborgs, there's a Goldeneye or Epic Mickey.  Same deal for 360/PS3... on one hand you've got your Need for Speed or Call of Duty, on the other you've got your Blur or Singularity.  In both cases, a successful core title really seems to come down to how much you invest in your product, though even that's not a failsafe (poor, poor Bizarre Creations).

irstupid said:
DrYon said:
Immortal said:

and they get mad at us, or blame us for not buying them.

we are not stupid.  just like all other products in teh market, if your product is inferior, then price it so. lets see you release a shitty tv and price it the same as the best tv in the market and see how you do selling wise.

same for games, if your not going to do a good job on said game then don't price it at $50

(Cough, EA, NFS Hot Pursuit)