By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Europe is key battleground, says Microsoft

@Famine: Splinter Cell, Left 4 Dead, Huxley, just off the top of my head. They also have been focussing on their lineup for this year, keeping next year close to their chest.

Around the Network

i'm glad they finally figured out that europe is key to their sucess. they have been way to focused on japan lately. japan is an important market but MS stands to gain a lot more from europe.

kitler53 said:
i'm glad they finally figured out that europe is key to their sucess. they have been way to focused on japan lately. japan is an important market but MS stands to gain a lot more from europe.

yes and in fact Japan accounts only for statistics: EU gamers are usually more interested in games produced by western developers...and for western developers the size of  EU and NA userbase is more important than the size of Japanese userbase.

2008 year end sales (made in January 2008):

44.2 M 27.1 M 20.8 M

Lol at MS post-Moore...

Good thing for European gamers I guess. This has to mean they're gonna get aggressive at pricing, particularly around GTA4 time (which I think is going to be the make or break moment in Europe for MS).

Around the Network

Good Luck. LOL.
Unless the will be NO MORE RROD, they won`t increase in sales.
But by THAT time PS3 will BE superior in all ways.

And when by the end of 2008, average PC will outperform x360, NEW users won`t need x360, because most it`s game they will be able to play on PC, while PS3 will attract them with superior line of EXCLUSIVE games.

Every 5 seconds on earth one child dies from hunger...

2009.04.30 - PS3 will OUTSELL x360 atleast by the middle of 2010. Japan+Europe > NA.

Gran Turismo 3 - 1,06 mln. in 3 weeks with around 4 mln. PS2 on the launch.
Gran Turismo 4 - 1,16 mln. with 18 mln. PS2 on the launch.

Final Fantasy X - around 2 mln. with 5 mln. PS2 on the launch.
Final Fantasy X-2 - 2.4 mln. with 12 mln. PS2 on the launch.

1.8 mln. PS3 today(2008.01.17) in Japan. Now(2009.04.30) 3.16 mln. PS3 were sold in Japan.
PS3 will reach 4 mln. in Japan by the end of 2009 with average weekly sales 25k.

PS3 may reach 5 mln. in Japan by the end of 2009 with average weekly sales 50k.
PS2 2001 vs PS3 2008 sales numbers =) + New games released in Japan by 2009 that passed 100k so far

CrazzyMan said:
Good Luck. LOL.
Unless the will be NO MORE RROD, they won`t increase in sales.
But by THAT time PS3 will BE superior in all ways.

And when by the end of 2008, average PC will outperform x360, NEW users won`t need x360, because most it`s game they will be able to play on PC, while PS3 will attract them with superior line of EXCLUSIVE games.

Please, take your finger off that shift key. It makes my eyes hurt, and makes you look like an idiot.

Parokki said:
They'll probably wait and see how 360 and PS3 sales develop. Both had sales boosted by big games, price cuts etc for the last few months, and nobody really knows how big the difference will be and in what direction after January.

Microsoft is in a strong position to cut prices, while Sony can't really do anything except wait and hope people want their third party games really bad, so the 360 winning 08 in Europe isn't entirely out of the question.

exactly what I think... it would be economically stupid to cut it now... when they have still the lead almost everyweek WW... even if it would help in europe.... thay are still doing fairely well for holiday season at least better than last year... the best move is to wait january or any time the sells goes back to normal and then see if they are really threatened in europe and then chose between doing it early or waiting a good occasion like a good game launch...

you can be certain that all of them have already a marketing plan ready for next year and between sony and ms... ms has still more cards in hand than sony, all will depend on how well they play it...

now about japan it is ridiculous indeed... I do believe they can increase sale next year wih good japan market exclu IPs... but lets face it even a gigantic 25% sale increase for Ms would represent a ridiculous total amount of console... but at least it could built some goodwill for MS for eventual 3rd console if the japs who bought the XB are satisfied with it.. which looks like it... because the attach rate seems pretty good and the very small amount of console they sold over there...

shams said:
People are seriously underestimating the 360 for next year. More solid (stable) revisions, cheaper prices, even more games, gamer choice games like Bioshock/Halo3/CoD, movies on demand, etc.

The new announcement/deal with Viacom is HUGE - it gives MS a huge supply of media/content.

I think 360 sales next year will be about 50% higher than this year - its primarily Sony fans who want the competition to vanish ASAP that don't agree (with no good reasoning).

In many ways, 2008 will be the year of the 360 - and 2009 will be the year of the PS3 (taking the Wii out of the equation anyway - pointless to compare to it for now).

I fail to see how the 360 is going to increase its sales by 50% next year when

1) It will still be above mass market price point even with a price cut

2) Its library will still mainly target the core gamer and the hardcore gamer.

Titles like Alan Wake, Too Human, Halo Wars, Fable 2, Banjo Kazooie, are not proven IPs/system sellers. They will probably end up selling well, but they'll sell to the userbase and not really move any hardware in the same way as Lost Planet, GRAW: 2, Forza 2, Madden 08, etc. Some of them could end up flopping outright.

The 360 had a price cut and the extremely-hyped launch of by far its most prominent titles(Halo 3), and it still will have only sold about eitht million units this year, so it's highly unlikely that it's going to see that kind of sales increase when it has nothing anywhere near as big as Halo, no exclusive proven IPs/system sellers, and will still be fairly expensive, especially for a console in its third year.

Consoles owned: Saturn, Dreamcast, PS1, PS2, PSP, DS, PS3