By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Forced Wii bundles: An independent game store's perspective

JMan said:
Yeah, but this is absolute BS:

http://www.toysrus.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2967682

$700 for an absolutely craptastic bundle. Sorry, absolutely NO EXCUSE for that. At the very least, we should get to pick the games. "Wii: $250 with a 3 Wii Game purchase" would be better. What does the store care if it is going to be sold on ebay, the store gets the same amount of money either way.

well, you got...

Zak and Wiki (great!)

Geometry Wars (good) 

Rayman:Raving Rabids (could be fun for a bit)

Soul Calibur:Legends (ugh)

the rest (double ugh)

Around the Network
JMan said:
Yeah, but this is absolute BS:

http://www.toysrus.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2967682

$700 for an absolutely craptastic bundle. Sorry, absolutely NO EXCUSE for that. At the very least, we should get to pick the games. "Wii: $250 with a 3 Wii Game purchase" would be better. What does the store care if it is going to be sold on ebay, the store gets the same amount of money either way.

speaking from a business side of things, you wouldn't let people get the good/great games with the bundle, because even though they get the same amount of money from the bundle no matter what, it would mean that the customer wouldn't need to go back to buy those good/great games

i don't think its right of them though

Of course none of this would be a problem if there wasn't restriction on price that didn't enable price to rise so that demand equals supply. In absurd situations like this one must necessarily blame the producer, Nintendo.

If I was the retailer I would simply buy the Wii and immediately sell it on ebay at a massive mark-up.

Anyway, this is a delightful example as to why interfering in market forces can often be bad.

Debating with fanboys, its not
all that dissimilar to banging ones
head against a wall 

Yeah Toys R Us is definitely using the Wii's demand for exploitative purposes.

They are selling mostly poorly selling titles (regardless of quality) they probably have to move their inventory.

Usually they are pretty good, but this is pretty bad what they are doing.

Its not what people say that is offensive, it is how we react to it that determines offense or not- REBT theory of Albert Ellis.

Competing in online FPS since 1999.

Currently own a supreme gaming PC playing CoD4

Currently own a Wii with Mario Party 8, Resident Evil 4, Trauma Center: New Blood, Wii play, Mario Strikers Charged, and Wii sports. Looking forward to Super Smash Bros Brawl.

Http://www.onlinebrawlcommunity.com    Online Super Smash Bros Brawl Tournament Series!  Feel free to sign up and chat with fellow smashers using our forums.  Casual competitions (i.e. HomeRun Contest) to come soon!

The reason he complains about not getting Wiis, despite losing cash on them is software.

No hardware sales = no bundles = no software revenue.

Sucks that they are forcing him to buy bundled software with the Wii. I wonder what his comments for the X360/PS3 are?

Back from the dead, I'm afraid.

Around the Network

mrstickball, your first statement is very appropriate and true. You can't sell software at a high enough rate to keep open if you don't also sell hardware. Additionally, indie stores usually get more core and hardcore gamers, or people just looking for a hard-to-find system. Most (more casual) people stick to the larger chains for their everyday game purchasing, so these indie stores lose out a lot.

The second (about forcing HIM) is incorrect. He's talking about why HE forces CUSTOMERS to purchase games in bundles because it's the only way he can make a decent profit off of selling games and actually keep his business running.

SW-5120-1900-6153