By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - 05/02/11 - Top 200 Software

Ahh, yeah. in terms of all the werid games selling 0.01 (and the weird order) there's not really anything I can do. Of all games that sell between 5000 and 1499 they will be arranged however excel feels like it

@ Thesource - cheers

@yo_john - it's nothing too magical. The software total section of this site gives me the sales for all games (it gives 1000 at a time, you have to choose a current gen console and do them 1 at a time to avoid the hassle of nes games getting in the way). You then have to copy all that data to excel. Then you do exactly the same when the next week's data comes in, so you have lists by console of all games and their sales figure for last week and their sales figure for this week. It's then just a simple matter of sorting by game title, using a fairly simple formula (I'll post it if people are interested), which either compares the higher weeks sales to the lower, or if it is a new release simply takes this week's sales, that gives you the weekly sales of each game. Copy all the different console's lists into 1 big list and sort by highest sales to lowest.

Edit ^ Then if you want to import it into VGChartz you have to firsty copy it to MS Word (or probably open office) before copying it into VGChartz

Around the Network
scottie said:

Ahh, yeah. in terms of all the werid games selling 0.01 (and the weird order) there's not really anything I can do. Of all games that sell between 5000 and 1499 they will be arranged however excel feels like it

@ Thesource - cheers

@yo_john - it's nothing too magical. The software total section of this site gives me the sales for all games (it gives 1000 at a time, you have to choose a current gen console and do them 1 at a time to avoid the hassle of nes games getting in the way). You then have to copy all that data to excel. Then you do exactly the same when the next week's data comes in, so you have lists by console of all games and their sales figure for last week and their sales figure for this week. It's then just a simple matter of sorting by game title, using a fairly simple formula (I'll post it if people are interested), which either compares the higher weeks sales to the lower, or if it is a new release simply takes this week's sales, that gives you the weekly sales of each game. Copy all the different console's lists into 1 big list and sort by highest sales to lowest.

Edit ^ Then if you want to import it into VGChartz you have to firsty copy it to MS Word (or probably open office) before copying it into VGChartz

Wow that still sounds like quite a bit of work lol.

Anyways keep it up man, I really appreciate the hard work you put into this thread.

How is this done?

Maybe we can help.

I'm not sure if this will be much more work, but there's another way of doing this that gives a more precise number.

We still have the full "yearly" from VGChartz. And while we may only appear to have the top 100 games, we actually get far more than that. In fact, I think we might even be getting the top 500, or something like that.

The 100th best selling game so far this year is Batman: Arkham Asylum at 94k. If we search individually by platforms or publishers, however, we can see that Nintendogs has sold 23k, that Gran Turismo 5: Prologue has sold 11k, and that Valkyria Chronicles has sold 9800 copies.

What I'm suggesting is, essentially, that you write all the games, that have sold, say, at least 10,000 units this year. Then, next month (or week, if you want to do it that often), you do it again, and calculate the difference.

This is probably a lot more work (I imagine it should take around 2 hours each time, at least), so I suggest doing it monthly, rather than weekly. You could also arrange a group of people to help you, say for instance making me put all the Square-Enix and Nintendo games into excel, while Gilgamesh puts in Electronic Arts and Activision, and we both mail it to you.

I propose that instead of making it weekly, you do it monthy and quarterly instead (and then possibly weekly during peak seasons, or under special circumstances).  You'd be getting numbers down to the very last digit, instead of just down to the last 1000. It would be far, far more interesting, and overall it shouldn't take any more time (as you'd be doing it far less often, with longer time spent each time).

It essentially means we'll be having a poorer weekly than we used to, but an equally good monthly. And that's really not such a huge loss.