By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Confirmed: Guitar Hero killed, True Crime cancelled

Edgeoflife said:
jarrod said:
Edgeoflife said:
jarrod said:
trasharmdsister12 said:

Activision still has that partnership with Bungie that should be profitable and (semi-)annual CoD's will keep them in decent shape.

There's also a major Spyro revival planned, a new Spider-man game, more new IPs in the works and of course their real cash-cow (Blizzard).   Activision's going to do fine financially, and putting Tony Hawk & Guitar Hero to rest (for awhile) was probably a smarter move than anything.  Shame about True Crime though.

Poor, poor spyro his good name is going to get very tarnished very fast, and I don't see any new IP from activision being a good game...

Yeah... the Spyro reveal's been awful to say the least.

I don't understand why Activision didn't just go to Insomniac once the 3rd party word got out, and pay them big bucks to do a AAA Spyro revival.  Or hell, go to one of the Insomniac offshoots like High Impact.  Same deal with Crash actually, I think a new Crash from RAD would probably get a lot of people interested in the series again...

Because Activision doesn't care about the quality of the game just the sales and the name will sell it more then the devs will, most people will run out and buy the game just cuz it's spyro, everything in Activisions hands will get milked until it dies then thrown away 

Milking and quality control are definitely issues for Activision.  Their handling of Blizzard and Bungie though (ie: hands off) gives me some hope they'll recognize the inherent strengths of and do the same for Rockstar if there's a TT takeover.  It really would be the smartest course.

Around the Network
jarrod said:
Edgeoflife said:
jarrod said:
Edgeoflife said:
jarrod said:
trasharmdsister12 said:

Activision still has that partnership with Bungie that should be profitable and (semi-)annual CoD's will keep them in decent shape.

There's also a major Spyro revival planned, a new Spider-man game, more new IPs in the works and of course their real cash-cow (Blizzard).   Activision's going to do fine financially, and putting Tony Hawk & Guitar Hero to rest (for awhile) was probably a smarter move than anything.  Shame about True Crime though.

Poor, poor spyro his good name is going to get very tarnished very fast, and I don't see any new IP from activision being a good game...

I don't understand why Activision didn't just go to Insomniac once the 3rd party word got out, and pay them big bucks to do a AAA Spyro revival.  Or hell, go to one of the Insomniac offshoots like High Impact.  Same deal with Crash actually, I think a new Crash from RAD would probably get a lot of people interested in the series again...

Because Activision doesn't care about the quality of the game just the sales and the name will sell it more then the devs will, most people will run out and buy the game just cuz it's spyro, everything in Activisions hands will get milked until it dies then thrown away 

Milking and quality control are definitely issues for Activision.  Their handling of Blizzard and Bungie though (ie: hands off) gives me some hope they'll recognize the inherent strengths of and do the same for Rockstar if there's a TT takeover.  It really would be the smartest course.

They will just keep jumping properies until they burn, the only reason they don't touch blizzard is because it's stronger then they are as for Bungie halo has always been kinda milked anyways and they are waiting to see if their first game for them even sells if it does they will milk the hell out of it too 

Edgeoflife said:
jarrod said:
Edgeoflife said:
jarrod said:
Edgeoflife said:
jarrod said:
trasharmdsister12 said:

They will just keep jumping properies until they burn, the only reason they don't touch blizzard is because it's stronger then they are as for Bungie halo has always been kinda milked anyways and they are waiting to see if their first game for them even sells if it does they will milk the hell out of it too 

Yeah probably.  On the other hand, we'll probably see long overdue things like GTA on Wii as part of the fallout.

Halo wasn't too milked though.  4 games, 1 spinoff and 1 expansion in 10 years isn't that bad.  Sony tends to milk 1st party franchises way harder, they've got teams like Naughty Dog or Insomniac putting out sequels every 2 years like clockwork...

jarrod said:
Edgeoflife said:
jarrod said:
Edgeoflife said:
jarrod said:
Edgeoflife said:
jarrod said:
trasharmdsister12 said:

Yeah probably.  On the other hand, we'll probably see long overdue things like GTA on Wii as part of the fallout.

Halo wasn't too milked though.  4 games, 1 spinoff and 1 expansion in 10 years isn't that bad.  Sony tends to milk 1st party franchises way harder, they've got teams like Naughty Dog or Insomniac putting out sequels every 2 years like clockwork...

Milked isn't just how many games come out, ODST was suppossed to be a downloadable game but they figured they could get away with full retail, and they did, but you are right about it not being as bad as it could of been but I can't help but feel that had more to do with the lack of manpower then anything, MS doesn't exactly have anywhere they can give bungie help from where Sony has so many studios it's hard to keep track and while Sony does release alot of sequels to alot of games the games never feel like they were rushed or turned out bad or anything, when Sony had spyro they did the same thing and it's still good and Actinivision it's going to ruin it with one game