By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - First Nights review (1up)

Way back in 1996, Sega's original Nights into Dreams... for Sega Saturn famously faced off against Nintendo's N64 killer app Super Mario 64...and was inarguably trounced. While Mario's expansive level design, pinpoint controls, and solid presentation established the ground rules for a new era of 3D platformers, Nights' quirky take on airborne trickery inspired no such imitators, fading into obscurity after fostering only a hardcore, cult-classic following. But that doesn't mean that Sonic Team's dreamy harlequin had nothing to offer -- Nights' refined aesthetics and nuanced gameplay definitely deserve another shot at success. And although the Wii-exclusive Journey of Dreams arrives unfashionably late to the proceedings (and squarely in the shadow of yet another genre-redefining Mario offering), it's once again not without its charms.

Journey feels slavishly faithful to its predecessor in every respect, from the parallel mission structure for its two preteen protagonists to its eminently hummable Enya-meets-Disney soundtrack. This time, you assume the roles of William and Helen, two new tykes sucked into the dreamworld of Nightopia in order to better cope with the very modern pressure of living with unloving, often-absent parents. Unfortunately, you'll actually get to know these kids a little too intimately, thanks to an overabundance of heavy-handed, talky cut-scenes that assault the eyes (and ears) with amateurish production values. We definitely liked Nights when he/she was an enigmatic, laconic benefactor 10 years ago...now that it's more of a corny purple Mary Poppins that won't shut up, we're considerably less enamored. None of the game's real-time cinemas impress, and a lengthy, unskippable tutorial (that you're forced to play through even after you've already beaten the other kid's story) feels almost criminally obtuse and outdated.

[Click the image above to check out all NiGHTS: Journey of Dreams screens.]

Try to look past the second-rate trappings, though, because Dreams' gameplay feels surprisingly engaging. If you harbor fond memories of the original Nights into Dreams... for Sega Saturn you'll surely welcome this decade-late sequel with open arms...well, at least once you eschew the abhorrent new Wii-mote control scheme for a Classic Controller or GameCube pad. Despite a few meager tweaks, the core flight mechanic remains intact: As the weirdly asexual Nights, you soar past surreal landscapes on a set, on-rails path, balancing speed, precision, and acrobatic tricks in order to finish with a high score. Whereas the Saturn Nights had you collecting a set number of blue "chips" in order to bust open the "Ideya capture," most levels in Journey have you simply wresting a key from a particular foe. This makes gliding through the levels much faster and more frenzied, but removes the first game's incentive for conducting on-foot exploration as the kids. Luckily, this isn't a deal-breaker (hoofing it around the stages was never that much fun to begin with), as the airborne action offers plenty of depth and potential for mastery. The old-school approach may not click for newbies (or the young tykes who will appreciate its simplistic narrative), but few Wii titles offer such addictive, finesse-driven mechanics and rewarding challenge born from pure skill-based gameplay.

Sadly, consistency isn't one of Journey's strengths. Some areas look astonishingly great, deftly utilizing surreal colors and otherworldly artistry to render impressive landscapes. Meanwhile, other locales appear lackluster or unfinished...and nasty (though infrequent) bouts of choppiness threaten to slow your aerial acrobatics to a crawl. And although the majority of the game's stages do an admirable job aping those in the Saturn original (several sections even steer dangerously close into remake territory), tragedy strikes when the developers try something legitimately new. The worst offense? A handful of Nights-free, kid-only platforming levels that task you with clumsily wandering around lifeless mazes before the 10-minute time limit runs out. (Oh, and run out it will.) Likewise, poor design choices and a ticking clock conspire to create some of the most confusing boss encounters in recent memory. After blazing through three flight stages you're given only one shot at felling a massive opponent -- if you don't clue into how to damage its tricky weak spot within the strict time limit, look forward to doing it all over again.

[Click the image above to check out all NiGHTS: Journey of Dreams screens.]

The other additions that Sega makes to this Nights fail to have much of an impact, either. You earn masks that transform the titular clown into new forms (a rocket, dolphin, and dragon), but these abilities all feel gimmicky and underutilized...you'll likely only bust them out when bosses demand it. And a revamped take on the Saturn original's "A-Life" virtual pet technology manages to seem just as half-baked and uninteresting as it did in 1996, thanks to a still-dreadful interface. At least the new multiplayer online modes focus on playing to the game's strength: flying circles around your friends.

For serious Nights fans, Journey offers a bittersweet reunion that reminds us of what was so singularly special about Sega's airborne dreamweaver. Unfortunately, attempting to evolve the formula creates a host of new problems and issues that ultimately diminish the game's overall appeal. That said, this still represents one of the finest original third-party games available for Wii, and younger players will find a lot to love in this gameplay-rich adventure.

Score 7/10

Link -> http://www.1up.com/do/reviewPage?cId=3165083

Around the Network

Oh if only Sega still had any talent in making good videogames...

They need to sell off their franchises to more worthy developers like Nintendo. Could you imagine the sales of Mario/Sonic at the Olympics if they really put the amount of polish on it that Nintendo had put on SMG?

^^ scary to even think about... O_o

@routsounmanman

Will you still purchase this game?

Even though the review is average I would still purchase this for my Wii if I had one.

VGChartz Member-December 18, 2007

Currently PlayingHalo 3 (X360) Naruto: Rise of Ninja (X360)  Next PurchasesNintendo DS System or PSP Core System
Mass Effect (X360)Blue Dragon (X360)Call of Duty 4: Modern Warfare (X360)

i might rent it.

Around the Network

@Kadaj

Of course :)

routsounmanman said:
@Kadaj

Of course :)

Just making sure. I just thought you base your purchasing habits on reviews, which would be odd to me.

VGChartz Member-December 18, 2007

Currently PlayingHalo 3 (X360) Naruto: Rise of Ninja (X360)  Next PurchasesNintendo DS System or PSP Core System
Mass Effect (X360)Blue Dragon (X360)Call of Duty 4: Modern Warfare (X360)

so it sounds like the reviewer really wouldn't have liked the original NiGHTS, and it sounds like the flying is as magnificent as it was in the original so I'll personally deal with the annoying kids to play the flying sequences,
plus this should be a lesson stop complaining about the lack of voice acting in some games, because frankly if it isn't great, it makes things a whole lot worse

I HAVE A DOUBLE DRAGON CAB IN MY KITCHEN!!!!!!

NOW A PUNISHER CAB!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Oh boy do i love this game... I suggest to ANY Wii owner to buy it cause it's truly a unique experience. I'm really happy with SEGA's offerings on Nintendo platforms so people should just stop dissing them!

SEGA..

mM