By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - So Vgchartz Pro has arrived...

ioi said:
  • The 4% of "in-depth" users (you guys) haven't really lost much if you look at the big picture. Many of you are speaking as though we've gone and removed all data from the site. The key with VGChartz Pro is that all data on the site is still free, we just charge for easier access to it (seems like a subtle difference but it is significant). You can still see the topline sellers each week, you can still see the weekly sales for any game in any region on its game page and we will be releasing regular analysis articles which delve deeper into the data and show trends that are not immediately accessible. The move to limit filtering by publisher and platform on weekly charts is to make the data more secure. With the old setup, it would be pretty easy to crawl the site and quickly pull in most of the weekly data - with the new system we protect that data and make it only fully accessible to paid subscribers.

As far as I'm aware, all data on the game pages is rounded to the nearest ten thousand units.  As such, weekly sales figures are essentially indiscernable for games selling 5k or less.

Even for games selling in the tens of thousands per week, if it's still below 100k, you won't get a very accurate representation of the figures via a game's dedicated page.

Around the Network
trestres said:
ssj12 said:
trestres said:
ssj12 said:
Wagram said:

Wait so 20 people according to you are meaningless, but 1 person can prove a point? I'm  not following.

no my point being people have joined for other reasons than the sales numbers. im pretty sure that there are more like wagram on this subject than people who aren't.

This thread shows the total opposite. I'm sure the majority do care about sales.

21 now. I came to VGChartz when www.nexgenwars.com stopped updating sales data, andthat is still one of the two big draw cards of this site for me.

I can understand the reasoning behind VGChartz Pro, I think that Brett has every right to make some money from providing extra features and analysis to paying customers.

But taking away features that were free is never a popular move.

Surely the sales of the 41st - 200th games are of much much more interest to the 4% (forum dwellers) rather than those who would pay for VGChartz pro. By all means give them some extra analysis tools and reports. But not this one feature. This one feature that we were promised would not be taken from us.

makingmusic476 said:
ioi said:
  • The 4% of "in-depth" users (you guys) haven't really lost much if you look at the big picture. Many of you are speaking as though we've gone and removed all data from the site. The key with VGChartz Pro is that all data on the site is still free, we just charge for easier access to it (seems like a subtle difference but it is significant). You can still see the topline sellers each week, you can still see the weekly sales for any game in any region on its game page and we will be releasing regular analysis articles which delve deeper into the data and show trends that are not immediately accessible. The move to limit filtering by publisher and platform on weekly charts is to make the data more secure. With the old setup, it would be pretty easy to crawl the site and quickly pull in most of the weekly data - with the new system we protect that data and make it only fully accessible to paid subscribers.

As far as I'm aware, all data on the game pages is rounded to the nearest ten thousand units.  As such, weekly sales figures are essentially indiscernable for games selling 5k or less.

Even for games selling in the tens of thousands per week, if it's still below 100k, you won't get a very accurate representation of the figures via a game's dedicated page

I would never expect any more accuracy.  For a game only selling that much, you shouldn't need to look any more than every month anyways, as it is insignificant what the sales to the 100 are.  You can look every 10 weeks and see for instance it averaged 5k per week or something along those lines.

Money can't buy happiness. Just video games, which make me happy.

I hope there's a Pro Membership available to me like other normal site/forum members

Baalzamon said:

I would never expect any more accuracy.  For a game only selling that much, you shouldn't need to look any more than every month anyways, as it is insignificant what the sales to the 100 are.  You can look every 10 weeks and see for instance it averaged 5k per week or something along those lines.

Well, I'd like to know if it's still pulling a good 5k consistantly, or if it's dropped into the mere hundreds, ya know.

For more niche games like Tales, those numbers can mean a lot.

Around the Network
scottie said:
trestres said:
ssj12 said:
trestres said:
ssj12 said:
Wagram said:

Wait so 20 people according to you are meaningless, but 1 person can prove a point? I'm  not following.

no my point being people have joined for other reasons than the sales numbers. im pretty sure that there are more like wagram on this subject than people who aren't.

This thread shows the total opposite. I'm sure the majority do care about sales.

21 now. I came to VGChartz when www.nexgenwars.com stopped updating sales data, andthat is still one of the two big draw cards of this site for me.

I can understand the reasoning behind VGChartz Pro, I think that Brett has every right to make some money from providing extra features and analysis to paying customers.

But taking away features that were free is never a popular move.

Surely the sales of the 41st - 200th games are of much much more interest to the 4% (forum dwellers) rather than those who would pay for VGChartz pro. By all means give them some extra analysis tools and reports. But not this one feature. This one feature that we were promised would not be taken from us.

Same story for me haha i remember being there when the site had 360 like at 6.20m something for 360 and then it started updating ps3 and wii but i somehow ended up stumbling on this site and wow i loved it from the start especially since its sales were definately more updated and also because they showed software as well.

makingmusic476 said:
Baalzamon said:

Well, I'd like to know if it's still pulling a good 5k consistantly, or if it's dropped into the mere hundreds, ya know.

For more niche games like Tales, those numbers can mean a lot.

Oh, I know exactly what you mean, but it can still be done in all reality.  You just have to see how long it takes for a game to move by 10k sales.  If its taking 2 weeks each time, its at 5k per week.  If its taking 50 weeks to move 10k units higher each time, then its in the lower 100's.

Money can't buy happiness. Just video games, which make me happy.

mantlepiecek said:
Slimebeast said:

$5000 per year?

(ioi said a yearly subscription would be in the thousands).

That's like 100 years of Xbox live subscription.

IMO. That's quite affordable if not cheap, in term of corporate pricing, that is.

radiantshadow92 said:

I don't see what the big deal is. Its like PS plus, the free users stay with what they had, and the plus  users get more. Ill probably pay, just to help the site out.

Ummmm. you do know that introducing PSN didn't take anything away from PSN users right? So the changes in VGC are nothing like the PSN/PSNplus.

I think only giving access to top 40 SW per week is too gimped for what we used to get. Heck lurkers used to get top 50, now active members don't even get what lurkers used to? I think top 100, or if not top 75, is reasonable for us. The forum community is partly what makes VGC VGC (warts and all). Our site traffic is what earns VGC its advertising revenue. So it's not like we're just freeloading.

“The fundamental cause of the trouble is that in the modern world the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt.” - Bertrand Russell

"When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace."

Jimi Hendrix

Damn, im more missinformed than i thought lol