By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - NGP: How long before security is broken?

Onibaka said:

Sony need to put a chip that destroys some minor essential components of the system when activates...

Then when hackers crack the system and millions of people start to hack, Sony should remains silent and activates a countdown in this chip and let they play on PSN. When the countdown reaches to zero(after weeks or months) all pirated NGPs stop working in the same time. Or at least destroy the Wifi/3GP chip to stops from playing online.

That would be the most awesome event in the gaming history.

It would be poetic justice, but also highly illegal.

Around the Network
Narishma said:

First of all the PSP2 won't use Android, I don't know where you got that. It will run the Playstation Suite, which will also be available on some Android phones, but that's about it.

Second, the PS3's security was very lacklustre. The PS3 is completely cracked now because of a stupid mistake by Sony, and they can't do much about it. I don't see why you would call that good security. The only thing that protected them the first few years was the availability of OtherOS as it satisfied the majority of the hackers who could do their things with it. Once Sony removed it it didn't take long for them to crack it open.

in terms of PS3's security, what you said is not entirely true. The random number mistake is very stupid. I still cannot believe Sony actually compromise the keys themselve. but now think about this, what if Sony didn't make this simple mistake? what are the chance that PS3 can be completely compromised then?  Actually, the security of PS3 is in a decent shape (not perfect) until the hackers surprisingly found out that the random number isn't random at all.

So for NGP, do you think Sony will make the same mistake again? I believe NGP will be more secured than PSP at least.

nobody said Android is the main OS, it's just speculation

Narishma said:

First of all the PSP2 won't use Android, I don't know where you got that. It will run the Playstation Suite, which will also be available on some Android phones, but that's about it.

Second, the PS3's security was very lacklustre. The PS3 is completely cracked now because of a stupid mistake by Sony, and they can't do much about it. I don't see why you would call that good security. The only thing that protected them the first few years was the availability of OtherOS as it satisfied the majority of the hackers who could do their things with it. Once Sony removed it it didn't take long for them to crack it open.

You really believe them? Really? lol, the other OS sent them down a blind alley and when they finally made some progress Sony removed it to prevent it, it was only then that someone stumpled upon to the stupid mistake Sony made, which if they hadn't made the ps3 would have been still pretty hack proof, then once they finally did it in order to save face they said, yeah we weren't trying thats why it took so long 

It is hard to know, though hopefully SONY will of learnt from the mistakes with the PS3 and PSP. Realistically SONY's main goal has to be to keep games from being pirated for as long as possible - if they can protect games for 2 or 3 years then its a victory for SONY.

Around the Network

I think it all centers down to that service mode USB dongle that appeared in/around September. That had to be some stolen official piece of hardware that Sony themselves use, because it seemed too easy, too powerful, unlike Geohot's hack with the Other OS where you had to actually open the Ps3 itself.

I'm a conspiracy theorist, and if Sony prevents something like a stolen piece of hardware, or even some stolen code that made it onto some USB stick and sold for a hundred-something dollars, then the NGP has a chance.

"Being single is easier on the gaming life, and the wallet."

I think this depends on Sony's persistance to keep pirates off their platform. PSOne, PS2 were both easily hacked and before the PSP had even launched it was running NES,SNES,GBC,GBA emulators I remember seeing screens in a gaming magazine before the console even launched.

With PSOne and PS2, piracy probably helped Sony sell millions of hardware units. I think with PSP Sony thought by giving consumers an easy to hack platform they would repeate the success they found with PSONe, PS2. Then again thats just my theory. Infact thanks to piracy the PSP has shifted a shit load of hardware units, the downside? Software sales have been extremely low for a system with that many units.

In the end I think with PS3 Sony realized it can't just let people hack their systems anymore. It isn't profitable when your selling hardware at a loss and expecting software royaltees to turn a profit. So I think the NGP will be one of the most secure platforms we've seen in years.

As for the 3DS, I think Nintendo will have updates to the software to stop hackers. The rumour that its hacked already and its not even on store shelves. Nintendo has the remainder of the month to fix these loop holes and release an update at launch.

I think Nintendo and Sony are going to try their hardest to fight pirates in the coming years both on handhelds and home units.

-JC7

"In God We Trust - In Games We Play " - Joel Reimer

Joelcool7 said:

I think Nintendo and Sony are going to try their hardest to fight pirates in the coming years both on handhelds and home units.

Why would Nintendo care?

They get healthy profit on hardware and still have milions of people ready to buy Nintendogs.

PROUD MEMBER OF THE PSP RPG FAN CLUB

Crazymann said:

3DS certainly hasn't lasted very long, if you believe the claims of R4 and acecard, but (then again) security has never been Nintendo's strong suit.  

That rumour was proven false, no?

Crazymann said:

With the PS3, Sony did a very good job on system security.  It may be hacked now, but it took an enternity (in hacking time) to do this.  However, with the PS3 compromised and with Android being the main OS, will NGP hold up for as long?  Nearly as long?

3DS certainly hasn't lasted very long, if you believe the claims of R4 and acecard, but (then again) security has never been Nintendo's strong suit.  

I haven't heard of the claims about the R4 and acekard, but I'm assuming that they are claiming the 3DS can still play back-up DS games. If that is the case, I wouldn't say that this is a failing of the 3DS' security simply because it is too late to add security to the DS game-carts that would allow the 3DS to tell the difference between a legitimate DS game and the pirated DS game.

With that said, the time it takes hackers to exploit systems seems to be very varied; and what they seem to be able to accomplish with initial exploits is also very varied. Some times the hackers are able to think outside of the box and do something the system designers never though of, and this tends to result in massive success early on; and other times they must figure out how to bypass all security one measure at a time.