By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Sonic Colors Wii - did it bombed?

Joelcool7 said:

I'm confused as to why I'm hearing Sega Sammy announced Sonic Colours has sold over 1.8-million copies but VGChartz has it at 600K? I was just talking to a Sega fan andhe laughed at me when I said it only sold 600K.  He gave me this link.

I think Sega combined the sales of The DS and Wii versions. The DS one sold a little less so far but still over 600,000 thouand copies.

I love fighting games !!! Come on challenge me !

Around the Network

It wasn't a massive success, but by those numbers it wasn't a failure either.  The average Wii game needs 500k sold to break even, Sonic Colors (Wii) seems well on its way to a million.

You do not have the right to never be offended.

Neh but I still think it was a mistake to release this 1 month after Sonic 4...

Face the future.. Gamecenter ID: nikkom_nl (oh no he didn't!!) 

ChichiriMuyo said:

It wasn't a massive success, but by those numbers it wasn't a failure either.  The average Wii game needs 500k sold to break even, Sonic Colors (Wii) seems well on its way to a million.

lol where did you hear they need to sell 500K to break even? A Wii game is fairly cheap to develop a high end Wii game can be developed for as little as 4-million and thats a high end game. I talked to HVS last year and they said that they made a killing on the Conduit. Now The Conduit did not break 500k and it is considered a massive success at High Voltage Software.

UbiSoft said if Red Steel 2 had sold 500k they would consider it a success, not breaking even a success. Developers and Publishers often set numbers for success, take EA they said if Medal Of Honour sold over 3-million copies it would be considered a success. Does that mean they had to sell 3-million to break even? No it meant 3-million was their bench mark.

I bet if a regular Wii game breaks 100K the developer is probably breaking even or doing better then even. A title that breaks 100K sold could make upwards of 2-million USD. Consider that a low budget Wii game can be made for around 400K sometimes less, a developer shifting 100K of those games is turning a wicked profit.

I'm sure Sonic Colors cost a couple Mill, it isn't the biggest budget game on Wii , but its not cheap. Either way it has made Sega millions and most definatly been profitable.

-JC7

"In God We Trust - In Games We Play " - Joel Reimer

Joelcool7 said:

I'm confused as to why I'm hearing Sega Sammy announced Sonic Colours has sold over 1.8-million copies but VGChartz has it at 600K? I was just talking to a Sega fan andhe laughed at me when I said it only sold 600K.  He gave me this link.

Guessing it includes DS sales.

Edit - too late.

Rockstar: Announce Bully 2 already and make gamers proud!

Kojima: Come out with Project S already!

Around the Network
RolStoppable said:

Well done, Galaki.

Despite the thread being totally obvious, you still confused a hell of a lot of people. VGC members can be so gullible at times that it is mindboggling. If Thread Creator =/= Rol, then it must be serious topic. *shakes head in disbelief*

Problem is, there is no wit behind this thread.

RolStoppable said:
huaxiong90 said:
RolStoppable said:

Well done, Galaki.

Despite the thread being totally obvious, you still confused a hell of a lot of people. VGC members can be so gullible at times that it is mindboggling. If Thread Creator =/= Rol, then it must be serious topic. *shakes head in disbelief*

Problem is, there is no wit behind this thread.

What has been posted is absolutely sufficient for a well executed parody.

I guess, if YOU say so. :-|

When combining the Wii and DS version, it sold 1.85 million. The game is definently a success by Sega's standards.

Wii Friend Code: 0073-1348-5095-6720

Other Wii Friend Codes: Ask via PM.

PSN ID: Limelight788

I think it sold more than the sonic unleashed.

^^^ as well as it should, unleashed was meh to say the least, the werehog was the worst thing ive seen from the franchise. That includes all the tv shows, comics, etc.