By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Bulletstorm Dev Talks Xbox 360 Hardware Limitation

Bulletstorm Dev Talks Xbox 360 Hardware Limitation

Hey, we didn't say it. A lot of you have said it before, though, and maybe you've been waiting for a non-PlayStation-affiliated developer to admit it.

During an interview with Xbox Community Network, People Can Fly Creative Director for Bulletstorm Adrian Chmielarz spoke about the limitations of the aging Xbox 360 hardware. In truth, it does indeed affect what they can and can't do, although he says one can still manage to produce quality with that hardware. It's just a matter of ambition. When asked if the 360 was stopping them from doing what they'd like, the director's response was as follows:

"Yes, but any developer in the world will ALWAYS say that, no matter what. We could have 128 GB of RAM and it still won't be enough. Seriously, though, it feels pretty good making games on Xbox 360. As you can see with the exclusive titles like Halo and Gears or multiplatform titles like Bulletstorm, the quality is high enough not to feel any pressure for the next generation. People like the current gen, and I think we still have a lot of room for exploration."

The 360 has been blamed by PlayStation 3 fans for holding developers back and making multiplatform titles...well, less than they could've been. Numerous examples seem to back up that claim, but it's rare to see a developer say anything but, "the game will be identical on both platforms." Maybe it is time to admit it. PS3 exclusives sort of drive the point home.

2/2/2011 8:59:11 PM Ben Dutka

http://www.psxextreme.com/ps3-news/8511.html

Around the Network

"PSX Extreme is a video game website that covers Sony Playstation news 24 hours a day, 7 days a week. In addition, PSX Extreme features cheats, guides, screenshots, videos, previews, reviews, downloads, and more for nearly all Playstation games."

You know you could've just linked directly to the interview itself. Instead of from that Playstation only website.

http://www.msxbox-world.com/xbox360/features/article/507/Bulletstorm-Interview-with-Adrian-Chmielarz-Creative-Director-at-People-Can-Fly.html

This was also pretty interesting:

Many developers speak about Xbox 360 GPU and RAM combination as a more powerful group as PS3 equivalent. Do you have the same impression?

A couple of years ago, I would have given you a different answer to that question, but nowadays most developers have figured out both consoles and can get similar results on either one. Have you noticed that we have more and more games that look identical no matter what the platform is?
For me, currently the strength of the console is not judged by its theoretical processing power or such, but by the answers to a few much simpler questions. Which service do you prefer: Xbox Live or PSN? Which controller do you prefer? Are the games you like available on the console you've chosen? Is your console giving you something you feel is very important to you, but the other console doesn't have? These kinds of things.

starcraft: "I and every PS3 fanboy alive are waiting for Versus more than FFXIII.
Me since the games were revealed, the fanboys since E3."

Skeeuk: "playstation 3 is the ultimate in gaming acceleration"

LivingMetal said:

Bulletstorm Dev Talks Xbox 360 Hardware Limitation

Hey, we didn't say it. A lot of you have said it before, though, and maybe you've been waiting for a non-PlayStation-affiliated developer to admit it.

During an interview with Xbox Community Network, People Can Fly Creative Director for Bulletstorm Adrian Chmielarz spoke about the limitations of the aging Xbox 360 hardware. In truth, it does indeed affect what they can and can't do, although he says one can still manage to produce quality with that hardware. It's just a matter of ambition. When asked if the 360 was stopping them from doing what they'd like, the director's response was as follows:

"Yes, but any developer in the world will ALWAYS say that, no matter what. We could have 128 GB of RAM and it still won't be enough. Seriously, though, it feels pretty good making games on Xbox 360. As you can see with the exclusive titles like Halo and Gears or multiplatform titles like Bulletstorm, the quality is high enough not to feel any pressure for the next generation. People like the current gen, and I think we still have a lot of room for exploration."

The 360 has been blamed by PlayStation 3 fans for holding developers back and making multiplatform titles...well, less than they could've been. Numerous examples seem to back up that claim, but it's rare to see a developer say anything but, "the game will be identical on both platforms." Maybe it is time to admit it. PS3 exclusives sort of drive the point home.

2/2/2011 8:59:11 PM Ben Dutka

http://www.psxextreme.com/ps3-news/8511.html

So did you actually READ the interview and purposefully present the blatantly misrepresented data, or did you just simply cut and paste it, cause you like what it said, I wonder?

To psextreme though -agenda driven "reporting" like this, gives all game journalist a bad name.

Every time I read something written by Ben Dutka, I sort of want to slap him across the face.

If the PS3 is so great, how come it can't handle the Gears 3 beta?

Henever says that the 360's hardware is "limited" in direct comparison to the ps3.

Given this is a UE3 game, I have little doubt it'll perform better on 360, so this topic of discussion is moot.

Around the Network
badgenome said:

Every time I read something written by Ben Dutka, I sort of want to slap him across the face.

Whoa, wait, whaaatt??

Proud owner of the PSone original, PSone slim, PS2 slim, PS3 slim, PSP-3000.

37 PS3 games and counting.

badgenome said:

Errr WHAT?

vr6GOLFr32 said:
badgenome said:

Whoa, wait, whaaatt??

yeah you heard him

End of 2012 prediction:

xbox 360 : 73-75 million  playstation 3 : 72-74 million  wii : 104-105 million 

Most hyped for :

Bioshock: infinte, The Last Of Us, Alan Wake's American Nightmare and Agent

Dr.Grass said:
badgenome said:

Errr WHAT?

It's true. The Gears 3 beta is exclusive to the 360 version of Bulletstorm because the PS3 isn't strong enough.

badgenome said:
Dr.Grass said:
badgenome said:

Errr WHAT?

It's true. The Gears 3 beta is exclusive to the 360 version of Bulletstorm because the PS3 isn't strong enough.

I heard Killzone 3 beta isn't coming out for 360 because the 360 can't handle it.

Money can't buy happiness. Just video games, which make me happy.