By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Why Wii shortages in America

I just think it's odd that there are such huge shortages in America, and not in Others... Of course it's possible (even likely) that there are shortages in Others aswell, but this kinda shows Nintendo's priorities. Why prioritize Others more than the biggest video game market out there? I'm not complaining since I'm european, but I just find it strange.

Around the Network

proably b/c they are gearing up for release in china and teh market has picked back up in japan

Because it has been in short supply all the time in US. But Wii is not sold out everywhere in Europe.

Yojimbo said:
Because it has been in short supply all the time in US. But Wii is not sold out everywhere in Europe.

After a few weeks that explanation doesn't make sense anymore... It's selling continously high, and we know that it's selling out in the biggest European countries. Obviously, Nintendo is shipping a lot to Europe.

They're also shipping a lot to USA but it seems that this week, many retailers withheld their Wii stock for Sunday. According to ioi, he has received early data which seems to point at 600k Wiis being sold on Sunday in USA alone.

My Mario Kart Wii friend code: 2707-1866-0957

@ NJ5

You are correct. They hold Wiis to coincide with ads they are going to publish. They do it that way because otherwise, the ad would run and there wouldn't be a single Wii. The other problem, and the main reason for the shortage? Scalpers. They will buy 5-6 Wiis at a time and flip them for $500 a pop. And folks would pay that much for them! The scalpers have created a supply-and-demand shortage for the Wii. Yeah, it's a great system, so great, scalpers have gotten folks totally worked up for them.

Around the Network

Wrong, high prices don't create demand. Scalpers are an issue, but in the end a side issue. The demand and the supply aren't controlled by them.

I think Nintendo want to have a successful Christmas season everywhere. In the US the consoles sell whenever they're shipped to retailers, no matter if it's December or July. The place to be for them right now is Europe, since in Europe there's competition and they have to make sure people can buy a Wii for Christmas. Otherwise, some people may end up not buying a Wii until next Christmas, or even worse, get another system.
In the US, they will sell all the consoles they ship, even if they ship them in January.

Mark2008 said:
Wrong, high prices don't create demand. Scalpers are an issue, but in the end a side issue. The demand and the supply aren't controlled by them.

In the U.S., scalpers don't control supply - but they affect demand. What do you think happens? Folks buy the Wii and think it's the best thing since sliced bread. Their friends want one. The scalper buy up as many as they can - offer to sell them for 2X. Folks want to buy lil Jimmy and Suzy a Wii but can't find one - trust me, there's still a huge drought - because scalpers have bought them all. Jimmy and Suzy still want a Wii and folks break down and buy one. And the only way it will stop is with the raincheck program at Gamestop. That will just ease the pain, overall. Folks will still want the Wii and the scalpers will still keep getting paid. Yes, there is a customer demand for it, but scalpers are really making out like bandits in this situation.

Madskillz

Yes scalpers do make it harder to find the Wii, but the demand has to be crazy for people to be willing to pay the 500 dollar price, by the thousands. It is a free market economy, since nintendo using price fixing the economy finds a way to level things out.

psn- tokila

add me, the more the merrier.

Madskillz

Yes scalpers do make it harder to find the Wii, but the demand has to be crazy for people to be willing to pay the 500 dollar price, by the thousands. It is a free market economy, since nintendo using price fixing the economy finds a way to level things out.

psn- tokila

add me, the more the merrier.