By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Sony drops 20GB PS3 in North America.

This is dumb by sony.  Only hardcore gamers would spend $500 or $600 on a game console.  Of course if you are going to spend that much you'll buy the $600 unit.  The problem is the PS3 doesn't sell because of price.  They have now taken one step further from a mainstream unit.  The PS3 doesn't stand a chance of catching on until its $300, 20 gig or 60 gig.

Around the Network

Its a bad move, and almost certainly triggered because they were making a bigger loss on the cheaper model.

MS give consumers more choice, and Sony give consumers less. Nice work!!

I also heard that they were *forcing* retailers to primarily stock the more expensive version (again, due to profit reasons). And retailers also made a larger "cut" on the $600 model, giving them a greater incentive to stock and sell those.

If I was going to buy a PS3, it would be to play games - nothing else. I would go for the cheapest model I could find that would play those games. Lucky for me there aren't any PS3 titles I want to play...

Gesta Non Verba

Nocturnal is helping companies get cheaper game ratings in Australia:

Game Assessment website

Wii code: 2263 4706 2910 1099

cleveland124 said:
This is dumb by sony. Only hardcore gamers would spend $500 or $600 on a game console. Of course if you are going to spend that much you'll buy the $600 unit. The problem is the PS3 doesn't sell because of price. They have now taken one step further from a mainstream unit. The PS3 doesn't stand a chance of catching on until its $300, 20 gig or 60 gig.

your joking right... the 20GB did sell at all.. the 60GB sold 100% better. Honestly I hope they lower the 60GB price to $500 soon and release the 80GB version for $550

@ Shams - Sony lost about  $250 a console on both version before they cut manufacturing costs. Now who knows how much the lose.  

PC gaming is better than console gaming. Always.     We are Anonymous, We are Legion    Kick-ass interview   Great Flash Series Here    Anime Ratings     Make and Play Please
Amazing discussion about being wrong
Official VGChartz Folding@Home Team #109453

ssj12 said:
cleveland124 said:
This is dumb by sony. Only hardcore gamers would spend $500 or $600 on a game console. Of course if you are going to spend that much you'll buy the $600 unit. The problem is the PS3 doesn't sell because of price. They have now taken one step further from a mainstream unit. The PS3 doesn't stand a chance of catching on until its $300, 20 gig or 60 gig.

your joking right... the 20GB did sell at all.. the 60GB sold 100% better. Honestly I hope they lower the 60GB price to $500 soon and release the 80GB version for $550

@ Shams - Sony lost about $250 a console on both version before they cut manufacturing costs. Now who knows how much the lose.

His point was only the hardcore is going to spend over $400 on a console. Those people are the sorts who would pick the 60gb over the 20gb -  because the cost is irrelevant to them.

I think if the 20 was $400 and the 60 $500 then we would have a very different story.

Leo-j said: If a dvd for a pc game holds what? Crysis at 3000p or something, why in the world cant a blu-ray disc do the same?

ssj12 said: Player specific decoders are nothing more than specialized GPUs. Gran Turismo is the trust driving simulator of them all. 

"Why do they call it the xbox 360? Because when you see it, you'll turn 360 degrees and walk away" 

According to iSupply, the 20GB has a $300 loss, and the 60GB has only a $240 loss. Now these may have gone down from manufacturing volume, but not enough to make the 20GB worth it.

And BTW, their gushing about the motherboard doesn't take into account that it doesn't do anything. It was originally meant for the planned two HDMI ports and four eathernet ports. That's one of several uncessary costs to the system.

A flashy-first game is awesome when it comes out. A great-first game is awesome forever.

Plus, just for the hell of it: Kelly Brook at the 2008 BAFTAs

Around the Network
shams said:

Its a bad move, and almost certainly triggered because they were making a bigger loss on the cheaper model.

MS give consumers more choice, and Sony give consumers less. Nice work!!

I also heard that they were *forcing* retailers to primarily stock the more expensive version (again, due to profit reasons). And retailers also made a larger "cut" on the $600 model, giving them a greater incentive to stock and sell those.

If I was going to buy a PS3, it would be to play games - nothing else. I would go for the cheapest model I could find that would play those games. Lucky for me there aren't any PS3 titles I want to play...

OHH the PURE BS

"will no longer produce the 20 GB PlayStation 3 because the 60 GB model is outselling it at a 10-to-1 ratio" ... http://www.gametrailers.com/viewnews.php?id=4401

get it now ....... the CONSUMER made the choice, and overwhelmingly chose the MORE expensive model. 

MS bitch slaped its early adopters by releseing a new upgraded 360 with hdmi and a big ass hard drive.

Hus said:

OHH the PURE BS

"will no longer produce the 20 GB PlayStation 3 because the 60 GB model is outselling it at a 10-to-1 ratio" ... http://www.gametrailers.com/viewnews.php?id=4401

get it now ....... the CONSUMER made the choice, and overwhelmingly chose the MORE expensive model.

Yes, I imagine the model you can find in stores would sell at a 10-to-1 ration over the one that can't be located. You're funny.

P.S. Maybe my resolution is set too high, but am I the only one that can't tell what on earth this guy is supposed to be doing ?

I'm a mod, come to me if there's mod'n to do. 

Chrizum is the best thing to happen to the internet, Period.

Serves me right for challenging his sales predictions!

Bet with dsisister44: Red Steel 2 will sell 1 million within it's first 365 days of sales.

stof said:
Hus said:

OHH the PURE BS

Yes, I imagine the model you can find in stores would sell at a 10-to-1 ration over the one that can't be located. You're funny.

P.S. Maybe my resolution is set too high, but am I the only one that can't tell what on earth this guy is supposed to be doing ?

keep dreamin.

you could buy the 20 gig online and pick it up at best buy or where ever.

does it hurt youl that majority of peope prefer and can afford a $600 console ? 

"you could buy the 20 gig online and pick it up at best buy or where ever."

http://www.bestbuy.com/site//olspage.jsp?type=category&cmp=&id=pcmcat104100050000

No 20GB in stock.

http://www.amazon.com/Sony-Playstation-3-PlayStation-20GB/dp/B000IZWNLG/ref=pd_bbs_2/104-2396704-8239163?ie=UTF8&s=videogames&qid=1176348444&sr=8-2

Brand new 20GBs, but cost more than the 60GB version. It's not so much that the "majority of peope [sic] prefer and can afford a $600 console?" as "are people stupid enough to buy the low-end version at a higher price than the high-end version?"

http://www.walmart.com/search/search-ng.do?search_query=ps3&search_constraint=0&ic=24_0&ref=&search_sort=3

"OUT OF STOCK" - as in, when was it ever in stock?

http://www.circuitcity.com/rpsm/Ntt/ps3/Ntk/All/catOid/-16622/Ns/net_price|1/N/90000111/rpem/ccd/categorylist.do

Not even a mention of the 20GB model.

Nice try, FUDMaster.

Hus said:

OHH the PURE BS

MS bitch slaped its early adopters by releseing a new upgraded 360 with hdmi and a big ass hard drive.

true the consumer made the choice. that's cuz majority of the ps3 consumers are hardcore gamers.  as a non-hardcore gamer, i'd rather buy the 20 gig for cheaper price. but too bad they stop making it.

Currently loving my Wii x2, Xbox 360 Pro & Xbox 360 Arcade, and Final Fantasy 7 Advent Children Limited "Cloud Black" 160GB PS3

GAMEFLY & GOOZEX FTW