By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Will the 3DS sell 300 million+ ?

Will the 3DS sell 300 million+ ?

Yes it will!!! 90 22.17%

No...Just no!!! 315 77.59%

Total:405

No , If it reaches 200M it will be a gigantic achievement, 300M how much will the growth of the market be to predict such a thing, sorry Just No is the simple answer. 

Around the Network

Color me surprised if it gets past 100 million. The thing will sink the day Apple releases a 3D iPhone, for people will start to see what it really is: a dual screen Dreamcast. Sorry but it is true. I doubt it will have the third party support the DS gathered with PS suite and App store roaming around.

haxxiy said:

Color me surprised if it gets past 100 million. That thing will sink the day Apple releases a 3D iPhone, for people will start to see what it really is: a dual screen Dreamcast.

Portable SNES with wii graphics

Not even the Wii and DS combined has $250 Million, and everybody and their mother has a Wii / DS.

"Being single is easier on the gaming life, and the wallet."

Ninpanda said:
Immortal said:

Can't believe how much some of you wish it would fail, :P. Under DS, really? Save for the inexistent threat that is the iOS device family, nothing indicates that it'll do less than DS.

This is like DS, except with awesome features, third party support and the world's largest userbase on its back. And competition (not iOS, NGP) that isn't nearly as strong as before.

...300m is a really funny joke, though. More like 200-225m.

Sit down, kid, and let me tell you a story.

*Ahem*

A company, confident after breaking numerous records, and creating the best-selling video game system of all time, announces a new gaming device. Hardcore gamers left and right begin proclaiming it to be a raging success, that will utterly destroy it's competition.

And why not? It's just like it's massively successful predecessor, after all. It has third-party support, and the world's largest user-base on it's back. It also has awesome features, that nobody else in the market has. What could go wrong?

Nintendo and the 3DS? No. I'm talking about Sony and the Playstation 3.

(Semi-stolen from Metallicube's sig.)

Is it priced at $599? Is it lacking software that's enough to take over the world (Nintendogs, MK3DS 2D Mario coming eventually)?

Bad analogy, :P. Those were the things that destroyed the PS3 and, fortunately, 3DS, doesn't seem to have the same disease.

“These are my principles; if you don’t like them, I have others.” – Groucho Marx

Around the Network
Chibi.V.29 said:

how do you know the competition isnt a strong as before/ the only games we have announce are from what a 45 min conference? yh because they going to anounce 10  million games in that time xD

And the NGP is a psp with loads of fealy awesome featurs :P 

Finally the ps3 had a fanbase of over 100 million from ps2 ;) didnt help them much. Why help know? I do believe that 3ds will outsell the NGP but not the 10:1 figure you said in a  different thread xD i think more like 100 million 3DS and 60 - 70 million NGP.

Sony doesn't have any huge games to release when compared to Nintendo. Nothing bigger than what they had with the PSP, anyway. Whilst 3DS has plenty more stuff than the DS.

Also, really awesome features don't cut it alone. If they did, Dreamcast would've crushed the PS2.

Finally, you can't be serious if you say that the PS2 base didn't help PS3 sales. Why the heck do you think a $600 console with little appealing software sold at all at launch? It was because of all the PS2 gamers waiting to jump at the new PlayStation. Without them, it  wouldn't have crossed 5m till it reached a less proposterous price and got some of the decent software it got later in its life, which it wouldn't have because third parties wouldn't care to support a new player launching at $600 without the massive PS-history behind it.

“These are my principles; if you don’t like them, I have others.” – Groucho Marx

Joelcool7 said:

Am I the only one who sees this thread as wrong?

No offence but calling a user less intelligent then the rest of VGChartz is sort of a low blow, especially since he isn't present to defend himself

Michael Pachter makes worse predictions every day and he is a proffesional analyst who gets paid to advise people on where to spend their money. Well maybe he's a bad example cuz we all make fun of him but he is not a member of VGChartz (That I know of).

I think attacking another users intelligence by creating a thread to poke fun at his prediction is sort of low.

Am I the only one who thinks its wrong to try and make another user look like an idiot and have fun at his expense? If Chibi had something to say he should have replied in the thread these comments were made. Even if he wanted people's real opinion on whether we think it could sell 300-mill then he shouldn't have named the user in the post.

chibi was insulted. he came and made a thread. elcabrenze or whatever hes called is present to defend himself. he clrealy knows he did as stupid predictin and is hiding in the corner. serces him right.

Being in 3rd place never felt so good

Immortal said:
Chibi.V.29 said:

how do you know the competition isnt a strong as before/ the only games we have announce are from what a 45 min conference? yh because they going to anounce 10  million games in that time xD

And the NGP is a psp with loads of fealy awesome featurs :P

Finally the ps3 had a fanbase of over 100 million from ps2 ;) didnt help them much. Why help know? I do believe that 3ds will outsell the NGP but not the 10:1 figure you said in a  different thread xD i think more like 100 million 3DS and 60 - 70 million NGP.

Sony doesn't have any huge games to release when compared to Nintendo. Nothing bigger than what they had with the PSP, anyway. Whilst 3DS has plenty more stuff than the DS.

Also, really awesome features don't cut it alone. If they did, Dreamcast would've crushed the PS2.

Finally, you can't be serious if you say that the PS2 base didn't help PS3 sales. Why the heck do you think a $600 console with little appealing software sold at all at launch? It was because of all the PS2 gamers waiting to jump at the new PlayStation. Without them, it  wouldn't have crossed 5m till it reached a less proposterous price and got some of the decent software it got later in its life, which it wouldn't have because third parties wouldn't care to support a new player launching at $600 without the massive PS-history behind it.

you make good points but then again you must remember that the whole alligiance of gamers behind the ds arent core gamers, their peole working at mcdonalds, their kids playing a dog simulator, and their grandmas and grandpas trieng to fight alzeheimer. 3ds will have a great launch. but weahter it sells more or less then the 3ds depends on the support of the casuals. a casual group which prefers low prices, and which is leaning toward ios devices. so yes their is more competition this time, and the higher launch price of the 3ds also wont help. the 3ds will attract more core gamers then the ds because of its software line up, but it needs to pull the casual toward it.

zgamer5 said:

you make good points but then again you must remember that the whole alligiance of gamers behind the ds arent core gamers, their peole working at mcdonalds, their kids playing a dog simulator, and their grandmas and grandpas trieng to fight alzeheimer. 3ds will have a great launch. but weahter it sells more or less then the 3ds depends on the support of the casuals. a casual group which prefers low prices, and which is leaning toward ios devices. so yes their is more competition this time, and the higher launch price of the 3ds also wont help. the 3ds will attract more core gamers then the ds because of its software line up, but it needs to pull the casual toward it.

I agree with you on that much. The 3DS needs to reduce price to be able to sell liike the DS in the long term, which it will, eventually. I really think that the iOS devices aren't actually moving into DS territory, but rather, preventing it from expanding further. I expect that, as its price decreases, the 3DS will be able to recapture the ~175m DS base and that it will fill the gap to 200m-225m with what little expansion it can afford with the iOS devices waiting to kill it right outside and those who went with PSP this generation.

A bit optimistic, I suppose, but certainly not unrealistic.

Immortal said:
zgamer5 said:

I agree with you on that much. The 3DS needs to reduce price to be able to sell liike the DS in the long term, which it will, eventually. I really think that the iOS devices aren't actually moving into DS territory, but rather, preventing it from expanding further. I expect that, as its price decreases, the 3DS will be able to recapture the ~175m DS base and that it will fill the gap to 200m-225m with what little expansion it can afford with the iOS devices waiting to kill it right outside and those who went with PSP this generation.

A bit optimistic, I suppose, but certainly not unrealistic.

the ds sold 145 million. what are you on talking about 175. and yes the ios devices are a threat because they grab the casuals. if nintendo didnt have the casuals the ds would have sold less then the gameboy advance.