By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - So what will you get? 3DS or PSP2.

3DS will be the first game console I buy day1.

NGP will not be the last game console I buy daynever.

Around the Network
Icyedge said:
freebs2 said:

I'll get 3DS.

NGP looks more like a portable version of Ps3 (just like PSP was a portable version of Ps2)...I already have a Ps3, I don't need another one atm, also I spent too much money this gen, I'm downsizing, I can't afford 2 portables.

Though, PSP was a downgraded version of PS2. NGP is more like an upgraded PS3 that also allows remote access to your PS3.

The only upgrade I see is touch-pad, that's cool but on the onther side being portable means that the console less immersive and it can't play blu-rays (one of the main reasons why I bought Ps3), but that's not the point, the point is that it is similar, you can already see it from the games shown in videos LBP, Killzone, Uncharted, Resistance, Wipeout....

Roar_Of_War said: 

Second, the second touch screen looks pretty gimmicky. I realize people said the same thing about the DS when it first released, but using two touch screens at the same time - Can you even imagine that? How the hell is that "revolutionary"? Not only does it sound awkward to control, it sounds inaccurate.

Aside from those two things, what else does the NGP have over 3DS? Nothing aside from horse-power, which will come at a cost (being more expensive), and horse-power only has you graphic junkies excited. I'd take 3D over stronger graphics any day. =/ After this, it comes down to which system has the better games. So far, 3DS is clearly winning this, and since its got the jump on NGP, it's gonna get tons of 3rd party support which means NGP is going to get left out to certain extents.

The idea behind the horse power is that it allows developers to port their regular console games to it. It also allows a synergy between the home and portable console, which is a great novelty. Its not simply for "graphic junkies".

Between, the back touch panel isnt to be used at the same time as the touch screen. Its meant to be used as a complement to the regular control method. Like for casting a spell, reloading a gun ect., think of it as replacing the R2/L2 shoulder button as well as allowing more flexibility.

Pristine20 said:
Icyedge said:
freebs2 said:

I'll get 3DS.

NGP looks more like a portable version of Ps3 (just like PSP was a portable version of Ps2)...I already have a Ps3, I don't need another one atm, also I spent too much money this gen, I'm downsizing, I can't afford 2 portables.

Though, PSP was a downgraded version of PS2. NGP is more like an upgraded PS3 that also allows remote access to your PS3.

Did they really claim it was more powerful than the ps3? I'll believe it when I see it.

I didnt meant more powerful than the PS3, im not talking of better graphics or more memory storage. Its upgraded in the sense that there are more features available on the NGP that arent on the PS3.  It wasnt the case with the PSP and its 1 analog. Every game possible on PS3, beside Move title, will be possible on NGP (maybe with downgraded graphics) and them some more using the touch panel.

Icyedge said:
Roar_Of_War said: 

Second, the second touch screen looks pretty gimmicky. I realize people said the same thing about the DS when it first released, but using two touch screens at the same time - Can you even imagine that? How the hell is that "revolutionary"? Not only does it sound awkward to control, it sounds inaccurate.

Aside from those two things, what else does the NGP have over 3DS? Nothing aside from horse-power, which will come at a cost (being more expensive), and horse-power only has you graphic junkies excited. I'd take 3D over stronger graphics any day. =/ After this, it comes down to which system has the better games. So far, 3DS is clearly winning this, and since its got the jump on NGP, it's gonna get tons of 3rd party support which means NGP is going to get left out to certain extents.

The idea behind the horse power is that it allows developers to port their regular console games to it. It also allows a synergy between the home and portable console, which is a great novelty. Its not simply for "graphic junkies".

Between, the back touch panel isnt to be used at the same time as the touch screen. Its meant to be used as a complement to the regular control method. Like for casting a spell, reloading a gun ect., think of it as replacing the R2/L2 shoulder button as well as allowing more flexibility.

Which is exactly what Sony did with the PSP. Only now its PS3 games. Should it be anymore exciting now since then? Not really, since at least the PSP was porting an older generation, and we had the PS3 for a new generation. Now Sony will have a handheld and a home console with the exact same games.

There -has- been talk of using the back touch panel at the same time as the front one for "new gameplay experiences". I don't know if someone was falsely reporting this or not.

Around the Network
freebs2 said:
Icyedge said:
freebs2 said:

I'll get 3DS.

The only upgrade I see is touch-pad, that's cool but on the onther side being portable means that the console less immersive and it can't play blu-rays (one of the main reasons why I bought Ps3), but that's not the point, the point is that it is similar, you can already see it from the games shown in videos LBP, Killzone, Uncharted, Resistance, Wipeout....

Yes that is the upgrade I was talking about. Basicaly my point is that, it was wrong for the PSP to try being a PS2 when the control scheme wouldnt allow the games to play correctly. Its not a problem anymore with the NGP, it even allows more control scheme from the get go then PS3.

Roar_Of_War said:
Icyedge said:
Roar_Of_War said: 

Which is exactly what Sony did with the PSP. Only now its PS3 games. Should it be anymore exciting now since then? Not really, since at least the PSP was porting an older generation, and we had the PS3 for a new generation. Now Sony will have a handheld and a home console with the exact same games.

There -has- been talk of using the back touch panel at the same time as the front one for "new gameplay experiences". I don't know if someone was falsely reporting this or not.

What are you talking about, It wasnt possible to port PS2 games to PSP.

Icyedge said:
freebs2 said:
Icyedge said:
freebs2 said:

I'll get 3DS.

Yes that is the upgrade I was talking about. Basicaly my point is that, it was wrong for the PSP to try being a PS2 when the control scheme wouldnt allow the games to play correctly. Its not a problem anymore with the NGP, it even allows more control scheme from the get go then PS3.

True, infact I think that NGP is already more tempting than PSP. But in any case I'm not all that interested into a ps3-like experience, even if is very close, or in some way better than the original one.

@Icyedge:  I didn't say literal porting. Many PSP games felt like downgraded PS2 games. The PSP2 looks like it will do this job better than the PSP did since the controls are better, but it is still the same concept - A console experience on a handheld, and now its PS3 games on both platforms. The DS was never like this - Most DS games felt like an individual experience compared to the Wii (Like Nintendogs, Brain-age, Tetris, and even Zelda on DS was vastly different than console Zelda)

The 3DS is porting too much as well, but it's still getting many brand new experiences, and getting games meant for "on-the-go" type of play. (Again, Nintendogs, or Pilot Wings now maybe).

(Edit: Missed the quote button somehow. Sorry about that.)

freebs2 said:
Icyedge said:
freebs2 said:
Icyedge said:
freebs2 said:

I'll get 3DS.

True, infact I think that NGP is already more tempting than PSP. But in any case I'm not all that interested into a ps3-like experience, even if is very close, or in some way better than the original one.

Fair enough ; ).