By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Interesting milestone...

Faxanadu said:
Picko said:
Mountie said:
Picko said:
Mountie said:
If end of gen Wii has sold the most, then yes it is the best. Buying a Wii = 1 vote. Buying a PS3 = 1 vote. Pretty simple really.

OT, GTA:SA is still by far the highest selling 3rd party console game.

Since when has mass popularity been a sign of superiority? The highest selling movies and music tend to cater towards the lowest common denominator. The most popular television shows tend to do the same thing. Why would videogames be any different?

Popularity is in no way an accurate indicator of quality. The highest selling console could just as easily be one of the worst as it could be one of the best. In terms of the quality of its game library it is unlikely that the Wii will even approach the quality of SNES let alone be considered the best console ever.

Quality is subjective. The easiest definition of the best console is the one that the most people want to own and play. I think Sony, Nintendo, and Microsoft would ALL agree with that definition.

More often then not, things that are "mainstream" are superior.

"The highest selling console could just as easily be one of the worst as it could be one of the best."

I disagree. Selling tens of millions of consoles is not a fluke or a fad.

You've essentially said that the Wii caters to the lowest common denominator. Ouch. A bit elitist don't you think?

Actually I think you'll find that Son, Nintendo and Microsoft all believe that their particular console is the best console.

Things that are "mainstream" are rarely superior. Is a Ford superior to a Ferrari? Is Star Wars superior to Citizen Kane? Has Britney Spears ever released an album musically superior to The Beatles? Console A selling more than Console B says nothing about quality whatsoever. It has no value as an indicator of quality or superiority. Hence it has no value in determining what the best console is.

"I disagree. Selling tens of millions of consoles is not a fluke or a fad."

Nobody argued that it was (well at least not in this thread).

"You've essentially said that the Wii caters to the lowest common denominator. Ouch. A bit elitist don't you think?"

I believe you'll find that I said no such thing. However the "blue ocean" strategy indicates that Nintendo is directly appealing to the lowest common denominator. There's really no way that one can argue against that seeing as Nintendo has made its strategy very clear.

Now the Wii could become the greatest console of all time but it is not as simple as seeing more copies that those consoles that came before it. Consoles are about the quality of the games and that is how consoles must be judged and for that reason alone the Wii has a long way to go before it can even be mentioned in the same breath as the Nintendo consoles that came before it, let alone the consoles from other manufacturers.

At the end of the day sales are a good indicator for whether a console is successful, its not a particularly good indicator of whether a console is better than another.

ouch at the brit vs beatles analogy. If there is the word bestseller defined in a dictionary, it would say bestseller = beatles music. They were a very high selling pop group.

I figured that Britney may have a had at least one album sell more than some Beatles album. Hence the language I choose. The analogy only required a Britney album to outsell a Beatles album whilst simulatenously being inferior musically. According to Wikipedia I was correct.

But yet the analogy would work better if it was "Is [insert generic pop band] better than [insert critically acclaimed indie act]?" Unfortunately, music isn't one of my more knowledgable areas :D

But whatever, there's plenty of evidence that sales are not necessarily a good indicator of quality, which is all I wanted to point out. 

Debating with fanboys, its not
all that dissimilar to banging ones
head against a wall 
Around the Network

Holy crap! We've got the Beatles = Wii! How the heck did that happen!

Britney Spears? Ford vs. Ferrari? We're talking about VIDEOGAMES. I didn't say the theory worked everywhere!!!! Actually, I specifically said it didn't work for games!!!

Picko, my theory is that best selling console = best console. And let's limit it to a single generation? Sheesh, no one's comparing the Wii to the SNES!!

Sorry for the de-rail......yay Wii Sports!

Prediction:

The PS2 & PS3 will outsell the Wii in 2008.

Lifetime sales of PS3 in Japan will be at least 8 million consoles.

Mountie said:
Bundled games count. The problem with sales records are that they doesn't tell you how good a game is. Duck Hunt is number 4........

I think

best selling console = best console

but

best selling game =/= best game

You can argue for Mario, Pokemon, Tetris, and Wii Sports, but not Duck Hunt.

Duck Hunt was the only NES game my dad would play.

Picko said:
Mountie said:
If end of gen Wii has sold the most, then yes it is the best. Buying a Wii = 1 vote. Buying a PS3 = 1 vote. Pretty simple really.

Since when has mass popularity been a sign of superiority? The highest selling movies and music tend to cater towards the lowest common denominator. The most popular television shows tend to do the same thing. Why would videogames be any different?

Popularity is in no way an accurate indicator of quality. The highest selling console could just as easily be one of the worst as it could be one of the best. In terms of the quality of its game library it is unlikely that the Wii will even approach the quality of SNES let alone be considered the best console ever.

Yeah, cause it's not like they don't already have a game ranked higher then every other game on the SNES... and it's only their first year.

Mountie said:
Holy crap! We've got the Beatles = Wii! How the heck did that happen!

Britney Spears? Ford vs. Ferrari? We're talking about VIDEOGAMES. I didn't say the theory worked everywhere!!!! Actually, I specifically said it didn't work for games!!!

Picko, my theory is that best selling console = best console. And let's limit it to a single generation? Sheesh, no one's comparing the Wii to the SNES!!

Sorry for the de-rail......yay Wii Sports!

You didn't really include all those different qualifications in your initial post. Although I still disagree with you so we'll just have to agree to disagree :D

Anywho ... Wii Sports getting some good sales I hear. Woo hoo and stuff.

Debating with fanboys, its not
all that dissimilar to banging ones
head against a wall 
Around the Network

I think its time to start a new thread......

Game consoles by their very nature, improve with more sales. Bigger install base equates to better 1st, 2nd and 3rd party support and in the end, its games that count.

Doesn't this put consoles in a unique category? Hasn't the best selling console ALWAYS become the superior one even if it didn't start that way?

Prediction:

The PS2 & PS3 will outsell the Wii in 2008.

Lifetime sales of PS3 in Japan will be at least 8 million consoles.

Mountie said:

It's that simple if you only have one console, not two or more.  I have all three and I in no way think they are equal.

One note about Wii Sports.
It is only bundled in NA and EU. It is a separate purchase in Japan.
Also, the Wii pricepoint is higher (relatively speaking) in NA and EU.
Thus, you are actually PAYING for that game. So it SHOULD and DOES count.

Mike from Morgantown

I am Mario.

I like to jump around, and would lead a fairly serene and aimless existence if it weren't for my friends always getting into trouble. I love to help out, even when it puts me at risk. I seem to make friends with people who just can't stay out of trouble.

Wii Friend Code: 1624 6601 1126 1492

NNID: Mike_INTV

Did someone say Duck hunt?

Get your Portable ID!

My pokemon brings all the nerds to the yard. And they're like, "You wanna trade cards?" Damn right, I wanna trade cards. I'll trade this, but not my charizard.

Duck Hunt was the first FPS game to be successful on a home console, and deserves every sale it got. It was sold in 3 different formats: Duck Hunt alone, Duck Hunt/SMB, and Duck Hunt/SMB/World Class Track Meet.

I have all 3!

Favorite Companies: Nintendo, Blizzard, Valve.
Recent New Favorites: Grasshopper, Atlus. (R.I.P. Clover.)
Heroes/Homies: Shigeru Miyamoto, Gunpei Yokoi, Will Wright, Eric Chahi, Suda51, Brian Eno, David Bowie.
Haiku Group: Haiku Hell.
Nemeses: Snesboy, fkusumot. 
GameDaily Article that Interviewed Me: Console Defense Forces.