By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - YLOD - Anyone tried the heat-gun method ?

It really depends on what the damage is, I can't say I'm too experienced in this, but if it's just the solder joints cracked, I don't see why resoldering them wouldn't fix the issue for a while; or rather until they crack again.  But if it's a motherboard damage, or CPU/GPU damage, then nothing's gonna fix it permanently.  I know my friend PS3 yellow lighted on him, he got it repaired at a game center and he plays it heavily and it's running strong.  You can even take it one step further and completely replace the solder with a lead based solder, redo your thermal paste with that arctic silver, change the power supply to a 40 gig PS3 power supply, replace the fan with the 19 blade (17 blade?) from a launch jap PS3, I'm sure that'll turn your PS3 into a tank.

Around the Network

The 19 blade fans are installed in the factory refurbs. Most of the original 60GB NA SKUs were assembled with 15 blade fans.

greenmedic88 said:

The YLoD is a general hardware failure that is typically either fatal MoBo damage due to thermal cycling through repeated use (solder joint failure) or PSU failure (power supplies do die as well). If it's the latter, you have an easy and permanent fix. If it's the former, you get a temporary fix at best.

I've been through three YLoDs on three separate consoles, so I am familiar with the repair process.

The heat gun reflow repair does work, but it is and should be treated as a temporary fix. If you can successfully repair a PS3 this way, IMMEDIATELY copy and back up your data and treat anything on the repaired PS3 as disposable information.

I've had repairs last anywhere from a couple months to a couple weeks to a couple days to give you an idea of how unreliable repaired consoles can be.

Using higher quality TIM (thermal interface material) won't magically ward off future harware failures as even the best ones are only good for single digit temp drops. What they will do is provide the same level of thermal tranferance (or slightly better) as when the console rolled off the assembly lines. Over time, the stock TIM SCE used dries out, losing its effectiveness, leading to overheating.

I figure that if it's the powersupply it wont have any light at all when powered on right ? Like a pc.. If that's not the case, i would presume the failure would be that the transformer has become unable to send enough power through the system.. and if that is the case, is a way to determine if it's the powersupply ?.. (Presuming it would somehow magically show the led lights with a malfunctioning powersupply)

Check out my game about moles ^

it did work on my first PS3 and give the chance to back up all my saved games and than i send it to sony for a refurbished one just like my original (60 gb model) ... i too don't like the slim version over the original...

Proudest Platinums - BF: Bad Company, Killzone 2 , Battlefield 3 and GTA4

The UK Watchdog programe did a series on the YLOD and I think demonstrated that in most cases you could reflow the solder but in all likelyhood this will be a temporary solution. Having said that I do not believe Sony have recognised the problem so you may have to fork out for a repair in which case depending on funds the desire to fund Sony more or some other moral scrupples you may want to try the advice in the You Tube video which is effectively the reflow technique.

Found the article which includes a snippet from the TV show. It was a little sensationalist as is the way with Watchdog but ultimately it sounds like your problem.

BBC Watchdog Show link

W.L.B.B. Member, Portsmouth Branch.

(Welsh(Folk) Living Beyond Borders)

Winner of the 2010 VGC Holiday sales prediction thread with an Average 1.6% accuracy rating. I am indeed awesome.

Kinect as seen by PS3 owners ...if you can pick at it   ...post it ... Did I mention the 360 was black and Shinny? Keeping Sigs obscure since 2007, Passed by the Sig police 5July10.
Around the Network

My PS3 got the YLOD 5 months ago. On it I had a million save fise that I needed. Anyway I bought a new PS3 last month.

I didn't know about this procedure till last week. I tried it on my YLOD PS3 and believe it or not it worked perfectly. I was almost crying from joy cause I got my 88% trophy in FFXIII file back.

Here's the exact video and set of instructions I used: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xHMW7XR59Fw

Staude said:
greenmedic88 said:

The YLoD is a general hardware failure that is typically either fatal MoBo damage due to thermal cycling through repeated use (solder joint failure) or PSU failure (power supplies do die as well). If it's the latter, you have an easy and permanent fix. If it's the former, you get a temporary fix at best.

I've been through three YLoDs on three separate consoles, so I am familiar with the repair process.

The heat gun reflow repair does work, but it is and should be treated as a temporary fix. If you can successfully repair a PS3 this way, IMMEDIATELY copy and back up your data and treat anything on the repaired PS3 as disposable information.

I've had repairs last anywhere from a couple months to a couple weeks to a couple days to give you an idea of how unreliable repaired consoles can be.

Using higher quality TIM (thermal interface material) won't magically ward off future harware failures as even the best ones are only good for single digit temp drops. What they will do is provide the same level of thermal tranferance (or slightly better) as when the console rolled off the assembly lines. Over time, the stock TIM SCE used dries out, losing its effectiveness, leading to overheating.

I figure that if it's the powersupply it wont have any light at all when powered on right ? Like a pc.. If that's not the case, i would presume the failure would be that the transformer has become unable to send enough power through the system.. and if that is the case, is a way to determine if it's the powersupply ?.. (Presuming it would somehow magically show the led lights with a malfunctioning powersupply)

Not necessarily.

If the supply has blown out catastrophically (you would have heard a "pop" and smelled burnt insulation, maybe even seen smoke) then the unit would produce no power at all.

But PSUs also degrade over time, depending on quality of components and duration of use over time.

Even though the earlier PS3s has PSUs that were overengineered for normal use, it is still possible for them to degrade enough over time that they no longer pass the initial hardware check on boot up, at which point the unit would power down to avoid potential damage to the circuitry.

As far as I know, the PS3 doesn't indicate *what* the hardware failure is via the amber light/red blinking lights, only that it is in a terminal condition and will not boot up.

You'd have to talk to someone who specifically had power related problems with the PS3; all of mine were MoBo related.

Well I can always hope it is the powersupply then. If it is i'll fix up the thermal paste and clean it while i'm at it. Should prolong it's life quite a bit. :P

As for anyone I've not answered directly. I did read your replies. And appreciate the comments.. I have also taken all the advice and the stories into concideration regarding what i'm gonna do.

Need to find a mili meter and get some thermal paste. Then i'll test the psu. If it's the psu good times.. If not.

Well i'm not gonna fix it and return it. Cause then I would be an asshole towards the next guy who gets the machine.. I'll probably try to fix it. ... If I manage or not.. Well time will tell :P

Just hope it's ready be the time killzone 3 comes out.

Check out my game about moles ^