By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - L.A. Noire premiering April 5 - Retail Radar

L.A. Noire premiering April 5 - Retail Radar

Amazon, GameFly, GameStop agree on early April date, although Rockstar Games has offered nothing more specific than "spring 2011."

L.A. Noire is a title that has been long in development. First teased as a PlayStation 3 exclusive at the 2005 Electronic Entertainment Exp, Rockstar Games picked up the rights to the title a year later and announced it would arrive for the Xbox 360 as well. Last August, Rockstar parent company Take-Two said the game would miss its 2010 debut. And in November, a new trailer for the title revealed the 1940's detective title would arrive during the vague release window of spring 2011.

Now, retailers agree on a more definitive date. According to listings for L.A. Noire at specialty retailer GameStop, online rental house GameFly, and online retail juggernaut Amazon, the title will land on the Xbox 360 and PlayStation 3 on April 5. That date is a Tuesday, a day when new software typically debuts. As of press time, Rockstar Games has not responded to GameSpot’s request for confirmation or comment on the purported release date, but another online retailer, CD Universe, lists the game as coming out on April 6.

L.A. Noire is in development at Australian studio Team Bondi. The title follows a detective entangled in a violent web of vice, corruption, and crime in 1940's Los Angeles. Players jump into the seedy underworld of the metropolis and are tasked with solving a series of murders in what Rockstar describes as an "open-ended challenge."

The title will also use a new facial animation system called MotionScan. The new technology allows even the most subtle facial expressions to be reflected via in-game animation. According to Team Bondi, reading the faces of characters in L.A. Noire will be a pivotal point of the title. For more on the new technology, check out the tech demo video embedded below.

http://www.gamespot.com/news/6286631.html

Please visit the above link to see video.

Around the Network

I'm there day 1, good timing too.

CGI-Quality said:
Rainbird said:

Looks like major HEAVY RAIN fans are all over this!

Yes.  I plan to buy Heavy Rain... and this.  The madness has to stop.

CGI-Quality said:
Rainbird said:

Looks like major HEAVY RAIN fans are all over this!

Solving crimes adventure game style, big focus on telling a noir thriller story and great focus on characters. Sound familiar (apart from the noir-bit anyway)?

CGI-Quality said:

Indeed it does, just without the magic of Cage!

Still, I expect to be completely immersed and I'm happy it's not an all around open world title. Having to keep an eye on people's expressions is what sold me on this game (you know how I am with the Uncanny Valley/emotion in the face type stuff), so that aspect is key.

I'm hoping to be blown away!

I know how you feel. I'm not as obsessed with the uncanny valley as you are, but L.A. Noire still wows me every time I see those faces in action! I really the hope the story is strong, because going around and trying to find clues for solving crimes and interrogating witnesses on the level we're being promised, sounds like a small dream of mine coming true!

Around the Network

good timing I don't think any other game coming out at the time.

Why is LA Noire going to be similar to Heavy Rain?  I didn't see the resemblance other than the fact that murder cases are solved.

Most anticipated games of 2011:

Uncharted 3,Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword, Rocksmith

Modern Warfare 3, Super Mario 3D