By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - I'm thinking Nintendo might offer a later 3DS model without the 3D.

Before any of you go "That's ridiculous! It's in the name!" no game will require it, due to the slider, so it's not going to be vital for any game.

The big reason is that it would offer a lower price model down the line in the event that sales after the launch don't keep up, the way that the PSP and PS3 prices hurt their sales being too high for the market used to lower prices for handhelds and home systems.

Yes, this means I think the price is too high for the system. Not a hell of a lot too high, but too high nonetheless. I know Nintendo has dreampt of 3D since the Virtual Boy failed, but aside from the possibility of adding depth perception, it doesn't actually improve the games themselves, same as 3D in movies (save possibly for Avatar) and HD for movies and TV shows (sports are an exception, since you can't stage them to make everything visible).

This seems to be more about the obsession the gaming industry has with making gamers forget they are playing a game, without considering that might NOT be what the mainstream wants. We want better games, not games that try to pretend they are something else (as in the former is the reason games sell, while the latter seems to be what gets good reviews). Here, the cost is too high, while the content gain is too little to make up for it.

A flashy-first game is awesome when it comes out. A great-first game is awesome forever.

Plus, just for the hell of it: Kelly Brook at the 2008 BAFTAs

Around the Network

Will never hapen. 

It would be like releasing a DS model without a touch screen or even a second screen.  

While 3D isn't necessary for every game, many games do plan to utilize it as a requirement.

The rEVOLution is not being televised

The 3D is the thing that is making the system unique in the marketplace.  Without it, a lot of people  will just see it as 'another handheld doodad'.  People already have their phone, their iPod, etc.  They need a truly unique feature (not just good games) in order to consider getting yet another handheld device.

Could I trouble you for some maple syrup to go with the plate of roffles you just served up?

Tag, courtesy of fkusumot: "Why do most of the PS3 fanboys have avatars that looks totally pissed?"
"Ok, girl's trapped in the elevator, and the power's off.  I swear, if a zombie comes around the next corner..."

^^^^ Again, the 3D will not actually add to the game. The touchscreen did. And any game that can't be played with the 3D off is going to have problems with people who prefer the 3D off on their games.

^^^ You're assuming that tech is what makes competion, not games?

^^ You're assuming that newer games people want won't be enough?

You all are falling for the gimmick. Is't the games that will sell this system. The 3D will not add to them. You can't play Elite Beat Agents without the touch screen, so that actually added to the game. That will not be the case with a gimmick that only adds to the visuals, not the content.

^ Sales for the systems were not good when the prices were too high, so you can't really assume people are used to it. And just because the prices will go down doesn't mean you can make an even less expensive system without the 3D at all, which is my point.

A flashy-first game is awesome when it comes out. A great-first game is awesome forever.

LordTheNightKnight said:

^^^ Again, the 3D will not actually add to the game. The touchscreen did. And any game that can't be played with the 3D off is going to have problems with people who prefer the 3D off on their games.

^^ You're assuming that tech is what makes competion, not games?

^ You're assuming that newer games people want won't be enough?

You all are falling for the gimmick. Is't the games that will sell this system. The 3D will not add to them. You can't play Elite Beat Agents without the touch screen, so that actually added to the game. That will not be the case with a gimmick that only adds to the visuals, not the content.

You do know that several developers have already publically stated they plan to use 3D as a gamplay element, don't you?

Around the Network

My apology for the double post.

Don't forget the 3D movies, augmented reality cards, 3D camera system, and more.  Removing 3D doesn't just affect games but a wide variety of system functions. 

They'd never do that.

Viper1 said:
LordTheNightKnight said:

^^^ Again, the 3D will not actually add to the game. The touchscreen did. And any game that can't be played with the 3D off is going to have problems with people who prefer the 3D off on their games.

You do know that several developers have already publically stated they plan to use 3D as a gamplay element, don't you?

As in the games will not work without the 3D on? If so, I can honestly see some people being turned off, as even if the 3D doesn't give everyone headaches, there can be a major PR problem if the games force this.

Plus the DSi cut off GBA pack support, so don't assume that cutting off some games makes this not an option (not that it's certain to happen, just that your reason doesn't rule it out).

EDIT: That applies to the other tech you mentioned as well?

"Yeah, I'm sure Wii Sports sold a ton just because it's a sports game and not because of motion controls..."

That actually added to the game. This will not. It's just going to be a bunch of interactive viewmasters.

LordTheNightKnight said:
Viper1 said:
LordTheNightKnight said:

As in the games will not work without the 3D on? If so, I can honestly see some people being turned off, as even if the 3D doesn't give everyone headaches, there can be a major PR problem if the games force this.

Plus the DSi cut off GBA pack support, so don't assume that cutting off some games makes this not an option (not that it's certain to happen, just that your reason doesn't rule it out).

The DSi removal of the GBA slot is cutting off backwards compatibility.  Not current generation content.

And yes, some games are already in development that require the use of 3D.   Maybe that might upset some people as they can't utilize the 3D features due to whatever medical reason (no different that parapalegics being unable to play the Wii) but that's far better than releasing a model that shuts out certain games entirely.  And with no visible packaging method to represent which games require 3D and which don't...again, will never happen.

EDIT: Interactive viewmasters?  Oh come on now.  Have you even played the damn thing?  No?  Well, I have.  Stop berrating the 3D whilst simultaneously suggesting the release of an outrageous model.

Kind of defeats the purpose of going from the DS to the 3DS.

LMAO.