By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - I have a few questions about the "Custom brewery" scene on sony consoles

Euphoria14 said:
dystopia said:
Euphoria14 said:
dystopia said:
Euphoria14 said:
dystopia said:

I think most of these have been answered fully, except for #1. There are actually a lot of great little applications that the PSP can run, aside from emulators. Specifically things like a screenshot tool, cheat devices that also allow you to load saves from PS1 memory card formats (especially great if you have a dexdrive like me, and transfer your PS1 saves to your PSP.), little tools like battery life management, etc. However emulation is the big draw of modding a PSP.

I could have showed all of those but I am not sure if VGC wants links to threads I have made in the past that contain hundreds of homebrew PSP applications as well as emulators.

I agree, that would probably get you banned. But the point is, there are actually a lot of really useful homebrew apps besides emulators, most people just aren't going to be aware of them.

They are not aware of them because the media only focuses on the negatives and from that only piracy gets the spotlight. Homebrew is in reality a very very good thing.

Yeah, and I think most people probably don't realize that most pirates probably buy more software than anyone. Sure there are always a percent that buy nothing, but it's not the majority by any sense.

Nobody will believe you though, even though that holds a lot of truth. I've said for a while that the claims of what piracy does to hurt the industry is overblown.

Not saying I support it fully, even though I have done my fair share, but I just think people need to keep more of an open mind on things.

I know people won't believe it, there is a taboo around the subject on a lot of mainstream gaming sites, but I think the general idea of how much damage piracy does to the industry is way off base.

Around the Network
dystopia said:
Euphoria14 said:
dystopia said:

Yeah, and I think most people probably don't realize that most pirates probably buy more software than anyone. Sure there are always a percent that buy nothing, but it's not the majority by any sense.

Nobody will believe you though, even though that holds a lot of truth. I've said for a while that the claims of what piracy does to hurt the industry is overblown.

Not saying I support it fully, even though I have done my fair share, but I just think people need to keep more of an open mind on things.

I know people won't believe it, there is a taboo around the subject on a lot of mainstream gaming sites, but I think the general idea of how much damage piracy does to the industry is way off base.

Did you know that Black Ops has been pirated less than Modern Warfare 2 in the same time span and also sold much more?

I guess some of those who pirated (And possibly purchased later on) last year went ahead and flat out purchased it this time around.

iPhone = Great gaming device. Don't agree? Who cares, because you're wrong.

Currently playing:

Final Fantasy VI (iOS), Final Fantasy: Record Keeper (iOS) & Dragon Quest V (iOS)     

Got a retro room? Post it here!

Euphoria14 said:
dystopia said:
Euphoria14 said:
dystopia said:

Did you know that Black Ops has been pirated less than Modern Warfare 2 in the same time span and also sold much more?

I guess some of those who pirated (And possibly purchased later on) last year went ahead and flat out purchased it this time around.

Doesn't mean piracy is justified at all. You keep defending piracy when it doesn't help and only serves to hurt.

(The only time I think it is justified to pirate is when you can't get the game anymore because it isn't being sold anymore.)

yay for Euphoria

good answers

OoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoO

stopstopp said:
Euphoria14 said:
dystopia said:
Euphoria14 said:
dystopia said:

Doesn't mean piracy is justified at all. You keep defending piracy when it doesn't help and only serves to hurt.

(The only time I think it is justified to pirate is when you can't get the game anymore because it isn't being sold anymore.)

I am not justifying it, I am only showing how the claims of what it does it overblown and I would like someone to prove it wrong instead of only responding with "Stop defending it, it hurts the industry".

I remember when people said it was going to kill the Music industry, even when things started to go digital. 

Then the Music industry grew.

Do remember, even if you chose to not believe it, the pirates who so many hate tend to purchase more games than majority of the people on this site.

Currently playing:

Final Fantasy VI (iOS), Final Fantasy: Record Keeper (iOS) & Dragon Quest V (iOS)     

Around the Network
stopstopp said:

he didn't justify it, he showed the argument that piracy is not only hurting sales, but can also promote them.

if there is no piracy and you have no money, you won't play MW2... but if you play it and are hooked on it, despite having troubles to play online properly with your pirated copy, then the next year you have money and BO comes out, then you don't think twice and just buy BO.

it's not a justification, it's showing an ignored aspect of piracy.

Hephaestos said:
stopstopp said:

he didn't justify it, he showed the argument that piracy is not only hurting sales, but can also promote them.

if there is no piracy and you have no money, you won't play MW2... but if you play it and are hooked on it, despite having troubles to play online properly with your pirated copy, then the next year you have money and BO comes out, then you don't think twice and just buy BO.

People agree that borrowing a game from your friend can possibly lead to a future purchase.

People agree that renting a game from Gamefly can possibly lead to a future purchase.

People don't think that piracy can lead to future purchases? *scratches head*

All of these have the same effect on the industry initially, which is no new game sales or revenue to the developers or publishers. Same goes for the used game market.

We should hate them all.

Currently playing:

Euphoria14 said:
Hephaestos said:
stopstopp said:

People agree that borrowing a game from your friend can possibly lead to a future purchase.

People agree that renting a game from Gamefly can possibly lead to a future purchase.

All of these have the same effect on the industry initially, which is no new game sales or revenue to the developers or publishers. Same goes for the used game market.

We should hate them all.

I'll answer by public libraries as an other wonderfull bend to copyright laws...

used game market is different though... it should be only between individuals, as making a business of it (like of used books) is basically one less sale for the publisher (editor)

Hephaestos said:
Euphoria14 said:
Hephaestos said:
stopstopp said:

We should hate them all.

I'll answer by public libraries as an other wonderfull bend to copyright laws...

used game market is different though... it should be only between individuals, as making a business of it (like of used books) is basically one less sale for the publisher (editor)

Oh I absolutely agree with you. I was just showing how all of them do technically "hurt" the industry according to the thoughts of so many here going by their stance on piracy.

Public Library is also a very good example by the way since they also allow rentals for games and movies while having zero subscription cost.

Currently playing:

Hephaestos said:
stopstopp said:

That aspect is not big and it still hurts more than it helps. Games with small margins die because of piracy.

Software Piracy rates are huge in some countries, upwards of over 80%. Even countries in Eurpoe like Spain have huge amounts of piracy. Piracy is a problem, and it most definitely is not a small problem that if you act like it is small, it might become that way.