By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - PC Discussion - New Laptop Question

I'm ordering a laptop with a budget, what I can get between alternating between processors and RAM are the following:

Laptop 1:

Intel® Core™ i5-560M Processor (2.66 GHz,3M)

- 3072MB 1333MHz Dual Channel DDR3 SDRAM [1x2048 + 1x1024] 

Laptop 2:

-Intel® Core™ i5-460M Processor (2.53 GHz,3M)

-4096MB 1333MHz Dual Channel DDR3 SDRAM

Both are about the same price.

I'm using it for work and light gaming (World of Warcraft some old strategy games etc.) and I'd like to get the best performance I can. So which should I go for?

Around the Network

how much is your budget and doesn't help because your not showing the graphics cards (if any) on those laptops. you still need an graphics card (cant be added later on) to play games like World of Warcraft (not that good but todays games)

You can get an good decent gaming laptop from Asus for around 1000ish, or if feeling like buying an total beast (i mean HUGE despite 11" screen) you can go the Alien-ware M11x for around 1000ish 

Of Course That's Just My Opinion, I Could Be Wrong

mchaza said:

how much is your budget and doesn't help because your not showing the graphics cards (if any) on those laptops. you still need an graphics card (cant be added later on) to play games like World of Warcraft (not that good but todays games)

You can get an good decent gaming laptop from Asus for around 1000ish, or if feeling like buying an total beast (i mean HUGE despite 11" screen) you can go the Alien-ware M11x for around 1000ish 

Oh the graphics card is fine it's a 1GB NVIDIA GeForce GT 420M. I'm not looking for a very powerful system, just something that can play WoW in close to high settings and some other less demanding games.

I'm just wondering if it's better to get a slightly better processor or go for more memory with the money I have left?  

Also, I read a few things about 3GB of memory actually not being very more useful then 2GB, and so you should go for even numbers of it?

Yeah, I saw that Alienware laptop you mentioned, an 11" screen is tiny though, I measured it out with a tape measure.

I would go for the second one if it was me. 4 GB RAM is awesome, and the processor as it is, is amazing, even for playing some of the recent games. I think you can possibly play some games on full settings on both of them, especially the second one.

But hey, I am not an expert in this.

I would go for the 4GB of RAM, the processor looks good enough anyway, I think RAM is probably more useful, but I am not technical enough to give you a proper answer

Around the Network

i got an asus gaming laptop for 1.6 k.

you should try it.

Being in 3rd place never felt so good

zgamer5 said:

you should try it.

If I had a 1.6k budget I'd be buying something a lot different! but I don't.

What I'm buying though should suit my needs fine.

Just not sure about the memory vs processor can anyone would a good knowledge of computers give me an answer?

Dallinor said:
zgamer5 said:

you should try it.

If I had a 1.6k budget I'd be buying something a lot different! but I don't.

What I'm buying though should suit my needs fine.

Just not sure about the memory vs processor can anyone would a good knowledge of computers give me an answer?

whats your budget then? you can find much cheaper gaming laptops.

you should pm shio about your situation hes the pc expert here. or that guy who has an amazing gaming setup, i think he is desulusion or something like that.

Being in 3rd place never felt so good

The GT 420 looks fine since all you're doing is WoW on High.

I don't think it matter between those two if that's the only difference; you won't notice. I do wonder how a dual-channel setup can use 3GB of RAM, normally it's either 2 or 4.

See if you had an budget of 1400 you could get the Asus G53jw or G73jw latops which are beast gaming laptops and overall good laptops. 

Of Course That's Just My Opinion, I Could Be Wrong