By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Which has more 1080p native games? Xbox 360 or PS3?

Slimebeast said:

Resolution beyond 720p means practically nothing.

720p is beautiful enuff.

My 42" screen knows the difference. I'll take 1080p over 720p anytime, thank you.

Around the Network
Mr Puggsly said:
dahuman said:

you should have made a thread named "Who actually gives a shit if a game is 1080p native or not on the HD consoles?" and have a poll with that, see the results, then decide if you want to make this thread, but no, you didn't do that, so I'm going to say, who gives a shit? everything looks terrible if not on PC outside of a few games anyways.

Well said... PC games do look great when they aren't crashing or bugging out. :-p

But yeah, I don't think it really matters. Very few seem to run at 1080p and they aren't the stand out titles.

most games look run perfectly fine with no glitches

im still getting used to playing Counter Strike Source in 1080p

PC gaming is better than console gaming. Always.     We are Anonymous, We are Legion    Kick-ass interview   Great Flash Series Here    Anime Ratings     Make and Play Please
Amazing discussion about being wrong
Official VGChartz Folding@Home Team #109453

Well this thread turned into a shatstorm rather fast.

I don't really care whether a game is 1080p or 720p...as long as it looks perty on my TV i'm happy.

Snesboy said:
BMaker11 said:

I thought the 360 couldn't even do 1080P natively because you need HDMI for that, and 360 originally didn't have that. Therefore, everything that's "1080P" on the Xbox is merely upscaled, while the PS3 was built with 1080P in mind from the ground up?

If my assumption is correct, the PS3 has more 1080P native games.....because the 360 has 0

Absolutely this. One hundred percent.

I remember reading articles about 360 a few years ago and how it maxed out at 720p or something. Or did that change with newer models?

Well a lot of arcade games are native, thus eliminating this pretend problem. A lot of the articles had issue with the back of most 360 games you will find say 1080 on them. PS3 does it less often.

360 or ps3 neither max out at 720

Bet with Conegamer and Doobie_wop 

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=3879752

poroporo said:
Slimebeast said:

720p is beautiful enuff.

My 42" screen knows the difference. I'll take 1080p over 720p anytime, thank you.

My friend has a 720p 32inch TV, I have a 1080p 32 inch TV and boy can I tell the difference. A friend of mine commented how it looks as sharp as a stanley knife  on my 1080p TV while on the 720p TV it's not that much better than his standard def digital satellite picture quality.

Around the Network

yea wht he/she said

Badassbab said:
poroporo said:
Slimebeast said:

720p is beautiful enuff.

My friend has a 720p 32inch TV, I have a 1080p 32 inch TV and boy can I tell the difference. A friend of mine commented how it looks as sharp as a stanley knife  on my 1080p TV while on the 720p TV it's not that much better than his standard def digital satellite picture quality.

I bet he has a silly JVC TV doesn't he.

kowenicki said:
greenmedic88 said:

This comparison/argument has been rendered essentially pointless as any game that actually pushes the visual envelope on either hardware won't run at a native 1920x1080p anyway. With the exception of games like Wipeout HD and GT5, most 1080p console games are PSN/XBL games or games with small playing levels (sports games) and fewer on screen models.

You will never see a hardware pushing game like Uncharted 3 or Gears 3 running at 1080p native render as neither have the GPU memory or processing power.

The only noticeable difference for the most part is the fact that the PS3 renders its menus at 1080p and the Xbox renders at 720p upscaled to 1080p giving them a softer appearance that most haven't even noticed.

you are pretty much spot on except that GT5 isnt 1080p

1080p means the vertical resolution is 1080 pixels high with progressive scan, you know that full well.

GT5's resolution is 1280 x 1080 and in progressive scan.  GT5 is thus a 1080p game. ^_-

But it is not what people refer as FULL HD (1920 x 1080).

Now, I know that greenmedic88 specifically mentioned the 1920 x 1080 resolution, and he was wrong.  But so are you when you claim that GT5 isn't 1080p. ^_-

kowenicki said:
Hynad said:
kowenicki said:
greenmedic88 said:

This comparison/argument has been rendered essentially pointless as any game that actually pushes the visual envelope on either hardware won't run at a native 1920x1080p anyway. With the exception of games like Wipeout HD and GT5, most 1080p console games are PSN/XBL games or games with small playing levels (sports games) and fewer on screen models.

You will never see a hardware pushing game like Uncharted 3 or Gears 3 running at 1080p native render as neither have the GPU memory or processing power.

The only noticeable difference for the most part is the fact that the PS3 renders its menus at 1080p and the Xbox renders at 720p upscaled to 1080p giving them a softer appearance that most haven't even noticed.

you are pretty much spot on except that GT5 isnt 1080p

1080p means the vertical resolution is 1080 pixels high with progressive scan, you know that full well.

GT5's resolution is 1280 x 1080 and in progressive scan.  GT5 is thus a 1080p game. ^_-

But it is not what people refer as FULL HD (1920 x 1080).

no... it really isnt.

1080p refers to 1920x1080  (the 1920 matters as part of the definition)

the 1080p DOES NOT just refer to the vertical resolution....

Because you say so?

What you mention is the 1080p resolution of a 16:9 display.   Other shapes of displays can be 1080p, while being of different width.

dahuman said:

you should have made a thread named "Who actually gives a shit if a game is 1080p native or not on the HD consoles?" and have a poll with that, see the results, then decide if you want to make this thread, but no, you didn't do that, so I'm going to say, who gives a shit? everything looks terrible if not on PC outside of a few games anyways.

Wow...I know we're not supposed to use the term fanboy to insult others...but I'm really tempted to call you a PC fanboy right now. 

I'm not calling you a PC fanboy, I'm just saying you're really coming off as a PC fanboy. Like I mean REALLY coming off a s a PC fanboy. If I had less restraint I'd go ahead and call you a PC fanboy.