By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Will my computer run DC Universe Online?

I heard in an IGN preview that it's very scalable (i.e. if you tone down the graphics settings it'll run on anything). They were playing the game on a gaming laptop and it ran great.

Around the Network

I am going to go out on a limb and say low is the best you can hope for I am afraid, you are barely scraping the barrel on minimum with your CPU and GPU. 

It says you have 2 CPUs because the Pentium 4 chips have a feature called Hyper-Threading that allows a second virtual core, slight performance boost in some applications but no ware near as good as an actual second core, you can read more about it here http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hyper-threading.

@TheVoxelman on twitter

Check out my hype threads: Cyberpunk, and The Witcher 3!

Left 4 dead and COD games can run pretty good on most pc's so i dont think u should use that as a bench mark. Same thing with world of warcraft, u should atleast be able to run that game at full settings(ultra) because its not very taxing at all.

In addition to this being a new game, so im assuming it requires better specs than wow does, as well as it being more action orientated, lag is the last thing u want as the delay will make things worse. And from what u said(wanting to run it on medium /high settings) i would recommend a few upgrades.

That being said i have not played the game or the beta :( so im just giving u my opinion in general. I have a better spec pc than u and i myself woudnt risk getting it on pc :)

Intel Core i7 3770K [3.5GHz]|MSI Big Bang Z77 Mpower|Corsair Vengeance DDR3-1866 2 x 4GB|MSI GeForce GTX 560 ti Twin Frozr 2|OCZ Vertex 4 128GB|Corsair HX750|Cooler Master CM 690II Advanced|

Oh yeah if u let us know what resolution u play your games at, that would be helpful too.

Intel Core i7 3770K [3.5GHz]|MSI Big Bang Z77 Mpower|Corsair Vengeance DDR3-1866 2 x 4GB|MSI GeForce GTX 560 ti Twin Frozr 2|OCZ Vertex 4 128GB|Corsair HX750|Cooler Master CM 690II Advanced|

i've got a pretty decent computer but even i dont run my games on 1920x1080. I go for maximum playability so i usually have an fps of 50-70. even if it means i have to go down to low/mid whatever and use 1360x768

Around the Network

SRL is a crap site. It claims I can't run:

Left 4 Dead

The Orange Box

Star Wars Battlefront

StarCraft II

GTA: San Andreas

Star Wars Republic Commando

Halo: Combat Evolved

And I can with my crappy onboard graphics. Because I'm a fucking boss and the Vista OS is my personal bitch. The site just isn't reliable at all. If you know nothing about computers, then it's okay, I guess.

As for you, you've got a dual core clocked at 3GHz and a pretty good graphics card. You're fine with running DCUO. If you are running Vista, I recommend turning off some stuff to make game playing more smoothly. And since I'm nice, I will even link you to a guide to make Vista run more efficiently:

http://www.ehow.com/how_5146437_make-vista-run-faster-efficiently.html

You also might want to turn off some background stuff like anti-virus software and pretty much everything that is not necessary to run the operating system. Then you should be able to run it on high.

Bristow9091 said:
Snesboy said:

SRL is a crap site. It claims I can't run:

Left 4 Dead

The Orange Box

Star Wars Battlefront

StarCraft II

GTA: San Andreas

Star Wars Republic Commando

Halo: Combat Evolved

And I can with my crappy onboard graphics. Because I'm a fucking boss and the Vista OS is my personal bitch. The site just isn't reliable at all. If you know nothing about computers, then it's okay, I guess.

As for you, you've got a dual core clocked at 3GHz and a pretty good graphics card. You're fine with running DCUO. If you are running Vista, I recommend turning off some stuff to make game playing more smoothly. And since I'm nice, I will even link you to a guide to make Vista run more efficiently:

http://www.ehow.com/how_5146437_make-vista-run-faster-efficiently.html

You also might want to turn off some background stuff like anti-virus software and pretty much everything that is not necessary to run the operating system. Then you should be able to run it on high.

See, this is a more reassuring post since you're in the same boat as me, SRL tells me I can't run quite a few games, but I sure can, lol. Although I don't have Vista, just XP, I'm not quite ready to make the jump into 7 yet, lol, I feel old...

Make XP run faster:

http://www.ehow.com/how_4741772_windows-xp-run-faster.html

It also still helps to open Task Manager and close all non-essential processes.

Bristow9091 said:
zarx said:

I am going to go out on a limb and say low is the best you can hope for I am afraid, you are barely scraping the barrel on minimum with your CPU and GPU.

It says you have 2 CPUs because the Pentium 4 chips have a feature called Hyper-Threading that allows a second virtual core, slight performance boost in some applications but no ware near as good as an actual second core, you can read more about it here http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hyper-threading.

Really, with the GPU too? It said the minimum was 256MB, mine is double that, and the minimum card is a 3870, surely my card is leaps better, I mean, it's not exactly amazing by todays standards, I'd just call it a budget card, but it can run Left 4 Dead 2 on high and World of Warcraft on ultra, but I have it set to mid/high.

My CPU really does let me down on most games, but then again, on quite a few games I have, when checking SystemRequirementsLab, and the gamecase itself, my processor didn't even make the minimum, however, I can still run the games fine (Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2 is an example)

You really think I'll only be scratching low with this, not even mid? Ouch.

http://www.overclock.net/graphics-cards-general/502403-graphics-card-ranking-5th-time-last.html

your card is actually about the same as a 3870 but slightly slower. 

It all depends whether the minimum requirements they released are conservative, accurate or overly optimistic...

@TheVoxelman on twitter

Check out my hype threads: Cyberpunk, and The Witcher 3!

I say good choice, atleast u know ur game will be working now :)

I'm actually surprised people are having problems running this.  My home PC isn't anything amazing but I'm able to run it 1900x1200 with all the highest settings and don't notice any problems.

The real odd thing is the settings defaulted most everything to normal and when I changed everything to high I couldn't even notice a difference.  I played this afternoon on my work PC that should still have everything on normal and I didn't notice any differences at all (in fact, it ran a little slower but that was problabmy because I had many other memory hog programs running).