By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Can Someone Please Explain Final Fantasy to Me?

misteromar mk4 said:
I still dont get it, so they are both totally different games? Why not just make one FF14? surely this would cause some consumer confusion. It reminds me of the angry nintendo nerds, chronlogically confused.

they are set in the same universe around the same crystals.

PC gaming is better than console gaming. Always.     We are Anonymous, We are Legion    Kick-ass interview   Great Flash Series Here    Anime Ratings     Make and Play Please
Amazing discussion about being wrong
Official VGChartz Folding@Home Team #109453

Around the Network
ssj12 said:
misteromar mk4 said:
I still dont get it, so they are both totally different games? Why not just make one FF14? surely this would cause some consumer confusion. It reminds me of the angry nintendo nerds, chronlogically confused.

they want more money.

Fixed.

twesterm said:
ssj12 said:
misteromar mk4 said:

they want more money.

Fixed.

sorry but no. they have two different gameplay styles. Pus theres a rumor the FFXIV will be another MMO.

PC gaming is better than console gaming. Always.     We are Anonymous, We are Legion    Kick-ass interview   Great Flash Series Here    Anime Ratings     Make and Play Please
Amazing discussion about being wrong
Official VGChartz Folding@Home Team #109453

ssj12 said:
twesterm said:
ssj12 said:
misteromar mk4 said:

they want more money.

Fixed.

sorry but no. they have two different gameplay styles. Pus theres a rumor the FFXIV will be another MMO.

I don't see how that makes him wrong.  Half the cost of development is concept and world design.  What Square is doing is quite brilliant.  Create the world once.  Ctrl C + Ctrl V.  Add new main characters and a different combat system and voila.

ssj12 said:
twesterm said:
ssj12 said:
misteromar mk4 said:

they want more money.

Fixed.

Way to kill a joke. 

Around the Network
Sicilian4391 said:
yeah but i was watching with a person who knows a lot about it and they where all like "OMG THIS PERSON IS BACK" and stuff like that..

I feel pretty left out not knowing who anybody is....

You were likely watching the PS3 tech demo of the Final Fantasy 7 intro.  Cloud, the main character from that game and legend among rpg geeks, would definitelye elicit that kind of response.  Sadly, it has been clarified many times that it is only a tech demo.

Perhaps you were watching something about FF Crisis Core or FF12 Revanant Wings?

Square Enix has gotten really really good at making tons of spin-offs and sort of sequels.

naznatips said:

I don't see how that makes him wrong.  Half the cost of development is concept and world design.  What Square is doing is quite brilliant.  Create the world once.  Ctrl C + Ctrl V.  Add new main characters and a different combat system and voila.

It costs $10 Million to concieve a derivitive scifi/fantasy world? Thats pretty... well there is no way to put it nicely: pathetic. If you look at the worlds since FF8 they are pretty much the same just different names for some kingdoms take out a school add in a band of pirates or add in a church of the summon.

naznatips said:
Sicilian4391 said:
yeah but i was watching with a person who knows a lot about it and they where all like "OMG THIS PERSON IS BACK" and stuff like that..

I feel pretty left out not knowing who anybody is....

Nobody is back... the only recurring character in FF games is Cid, and he's a completely different character in each game. Your friend may have swallowed some paint chips. >_>

Cloud is in Final Fantasy Tactics! But yeah... basically new IPs with the Final Fantasy brand name to sell more copies. Wonder what would of happened if they would of called Lost Odessy "Final Fantasy 13" and FF13, FF14. Had they thrown in a few moogles i bet it would of sold much better in japan.

ssj12 said:
twesterm said:
ssj12 said:
misteromar mk4 said:

they want more money.

Fixed.

Yup, they say SCEE are testing some new servers for an MMO, nothing official though. I've never played FFXI myself, but I hear good things (occassionally...).