By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Which will sell more Lifetime: 360 or PSP?

Which will sell more Lifetime: 360 or PSP?

PSP 70 35.90%

360 125 64.10%

Total:195

I'd rather wait til the next financial reports are released to make a prediciton, as this may lead to some adjustments for this years final numbers.  But if I have to give a prediction now, I guess I'd still go with PSP.  Though, I doubt the gap will be that much in the end.  I think the PSP will stay afloat and just ahead for a few of reasons. 

1. The PSP will most likely be dropping to $99 next year.  This will cause a nice little bump in all regions. 

2. There should be a few extra sales of newer units once the PSP-3000 and Go are 100% hackable.  Now, I'm not acting like this will cause a huge boost, but it should keep sales pretty steady, especially in smaller markets. 

3. I think Sony will support the PSP longer than MS will support the 360 when their respective successors are released.  Sony just has way more resources to spread out amongst numerous platforms.  MS, on the other hand, only has a few studios itself, which will probably be busy making exclusives to help push the next Xbox.  And third parties will most likely be focusing on the new consoles, as well as making a few games for this gen's winner, the Wii.

Around the Network
homer said:
mantlepiecek said:

I think 360 might sell more. PSP is going to have a successor this year.

I agree, although, I could see it being extremely close if they release a psphone, if we count that sku as a psp hardware sold. Also, it may depend on how early the other gets a successor, which by  the way it currently looks, the psp will probably be succeeded before the 360.

Why would the PSphone count as a PSP sku? Would they fundamentally be the same hardware?

Chibi.V.29 said:
Immortal said:
Chibi.V.29 said:

You just stated yourself why there random xD its based on info from last 2 or 3 months. I coudl base on past information that the PS360 could end up beating the wii LTD. Not saying it will but using same logic i could ^^

Of course, but in that case, I could counter your argument by looking at historical trends which showed that Wii always rises phenomenally during the holidays and how it had already done so last year in the exact same situation, outselling PS360 in the process. The PS360 situation, on the other hand, is always changing -- the only reason one starts gaining on the other is because the company does something to make it happen. It isn't "natural". With no real reason for PS3 to overtake the 360 randomly right now, and no information from Sony regarding a game changer that'll give them the lead again, there is currently no reason whatsoever to believe that PS3 will reduce the gap. 3 months or so ago, when Wii was performing loserishly, there was still plenty of reason (holidays) for Wii to outdo PS360 later on. That doesn't exist with PS3 for the moment.

The moral of this story is if you predict LTD sales of a console no matter what the figures i think your moderately stupid ^^ Know if you'll excuse me im not in the mood to argue with a 13 year old at 5am ^^

The OP is asking for predictions of lifetime sales of two consoles on a video-game sales discussion forum.  How exactly does that make any member posting their prediction of lifetime sales of said consoles stupid?

360 - 85m

PSP - 78m

360- 85 m

PSP- 78 m 

Around the Network

Honestly. I really don't know.

They will sell exactly the same number of units. :P

Sol said:
Chibi.V.29 said:
Immortal said:
Chibi.V.29 said:

You just stated yourself why there random xD its based on info from last 2 or 3 months. I coudl base on past information that the PS360 could end up beating the wii LTD. Not saying it will but using same logic i could ^^

Of course, but in that case, I could counter your argument by looking at historical trends which showed that Wii always rises phenomenally during the holidays and how it had already done so last year in the exact same situation, outselling PS360 in the process. The PS360 situation, on the other hand, is always changing -- the only reason one starts gaining on the other is because the company does something to make it happen. It isn't "natural". With no real reason for PS3 to overtake the 360 randomly right now, and no information from Sony regarding a game changer that'll give them the lead again, there is currently no reason whatsoever to believe that PS3 will reduce the gap. 3 months or so ago, when Wii was performing loserishly, there was still plenty of reason (holidays) for Wii to outdo PS360 later on. That doesn't exist with PS3 for the moment.

The moral of this story is if you predict LTD sales of a console no matter what the figures i think your moderately stupid ^^ Know if you'll excuse me im not in the mood to argue with a 13 year old at 5am ^^

The OP is asking for predictions of lifetime sales of two consoles on a video-game sales discussion forum.  How exactly does that make any member posting their prediction of lifetime sales of said consoles stupid?

I'm aware of what it sais i dont have to agree with it ^^ And i find it to be stupid as your trying to predict something with a huge number of variables. Predicting 1 years time makes scene as you can use current logic but to guess an even in lets say 4 years time is just stupid :P

Yeah i know my spelling sucks but im dysgraphic so live with it :3    

---------------------------------------------------Bets--------------------------------------------------

Conegamer - I say that the PS3 will beat the DS next week in Japan  (for hardware sales) Forfeit is control over others avatar for 1 week.

Chibi.V.29 said:
Sol said:
Chibi.V.29 said:
Immortal said:
Chibi.V.29 said:

The moral of this story is if you predict LTD sales of a console no matter what the figures i think your moderately stupid ^^ Know if you'll excuse me im not in the mood to argue with a 13 year old at 5am ^^

I'm aware of what it sais i dont have to agree with it ^^ And i find it to be stupid as your trying to predict something with a huge number of variables. Predicting 1 years time makes scene as you can use current logic but to guess an even in lets say 4 years time is just stupid :P

Why? We might not be completely precise, and often miss completely but that doesn't mean that it's stupid or futile to do it.  The fact that we find it entertaining is more than enough reason by itself to do it, and to not make it stupid.

Now, entering a thread and calling the people in it stupid, now that is stupid. It's needlessly insulting and possibly upsetting people. If you want to talk about stupid, that's a whole other league than predicting the sales 4 years into the future.

Chibi.V.29 said:
Sol said:
Chibi.V.29 said:
Immortal said:
Chibi.V.29 said:

No, it's not stupid, it's just fun. If you don't like such unsafe predictions without using 'current logic' then leave this thread and STFU calling other people stupid. :P