By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - So what will Sony do to fix the exploit?

snakenobi said:
thismeintiel said:

I was under the impression every PS3 had its own unique set of "keys."  Is that wrong, and these keys are the same ones in every PS3?

yes the keys are different

there are public keys(same all over) and private keys(unique to each console

but the hackers have public keys and know how to get private keys.

sony can still fix it if they change all the private keys by firmware update

Not true at all.

The private keys are stored in Sony headquarters and used to sign all the code that runs on the PS3 (games, netflix, psn titles, firmware updates, ect.) The private keys are on every PS3, but are supposed to be impossible to find as they normally are exposed only in a protected SPU.

Because of an exploit, the public keys could be pulled out of the console. And because Sony used the same number over and over for the nonce, instead of a random number, figuring out the private key was only a matter of algebra.

Leo-j said: If a dvd for a pc game holds what? Crysis at 3000p or something, why in the world cant a blu-ray disc do the same?

ssj12 said: Player specific decoders are nothing more than specialized GPUs. Gran Turismo is the trust driving simulator of them all. 

"Why do they call it the xbox 360? Because when you see it, you'll turn 360 degrees and walk away" 

Around the Network
sieanr said:
snakenobi said:
thismeintiel said:

I was under the impression every PS3 had its own unique set of "keys."  Is that wrong, and these keys are the same ones in every PS3?

Not true at all.

The private keys are stored in Sony headquarters and used to sign all the code that runs on the PS3 (games, netflix, psn titles, firmware updates, ect.) The private keys are on every PS3, but are supposed to be impossible to find as they normally are exposed only in a protected SPU.

Because of an exploit, the public keys could be pulled out of the console. And because Sony used the same number over and over for the nonce, instead of a random number, figuring out the private key was only a matter of algebra.

go check again

what are you all expert hacker's are something. Sony can do something if they want,simply ban these moron's from the PSN. There's always something sony can do,but I don't think it's worth the effort on Sony's at this point,since there supposely making a profit at this point.lol

snakenobi said:
sieanr said:
snakenobi said:
thismeintiel said:

Not true at all.

go check again

He's right. Sony can't fix it by firmware without rendering useless everything released on the PS3 so far.

I'm sure there would be a system that Sony could develop to protect new systems and new games... it essentially becomes a game of cat and mouse like it did with the PSP... which would also mean an increased demand in second hand consoles, and make us all muchos moneys.

Around the Network
haxxiy said:
snakenobi said:
sieanr said:
snakenobi said:
thismeintiel said:

Not true at all.

go check again

He's right. Sony can't fix it by firmware without rendering useless everything released on the PS3 so far.

when did i say sony can?

but if they retrieve all the private keys,they still can with a firmware upgrade,that way they will change the way of verify and calculation of keys

snakenobi said:
haxxiy said:
snakenobi said:
sieanr said:
snakenobi said:
thismeintiel said:

Not true at all.

go check again

when did i say sony can?

but if they retrieve all the private keys,they still can with a firmware upgrade,that way they will change the way of verify and calculation of keys

Retrieving every single key released so far on games and DLC, patching it so only these ones are legit and locking away the rest would be a monumental task, and then probably a upgrade in the GBs...

Not to mention a try to fix it could render new and old games alkike unplayable even in legit, older consoles due to the nature of the code being altered. Whose person at Sony would authorize the expensive research and programming of updates that could possibly cause brickage in hundreds of thousands of consoles? 

Not to mention patches with such fundamental programming and orders on the handling of private keys would be a feast for hackers.  It could make matters even worse at the end.

I say that Sony let this one go... Maybe ban consoles from PSN, but no more attempts to fix what is really, really, phreaking really broken...

Then on the PS4, use a phreaking random number on the ECDSA and don't remove features, this all started with Linux removal from the Slim...

when they release a new console, lock it down tigher than ever, propiratary HD's, 3rd party blu tooth devices, web browser, etc, will all a thing of the past thanks to these people.

but hey, atleast you get to run custom themes..... -__-

leatherhat said:
A Bad Clown said:
leatherhat said:

Cats outta the bag. But its impressive Sony was able to hold it off for 4 years.

I still blame Geohot, if people didn't think he could do it, someone would have tried themselves!

You should be thanking him, its good for platforms to be open

And now PS4 won't be open, yeah we should be thanking him.