By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - General Discussion - artwork pricing (i need some help) art lovers opinions needed!! urgent

i need help in pricing my artwork, i do vector art and some people are now interested in me doing some artwork for them. how much is a fair rate in uk pounds? i know there are a few things i have to consider such as the print size and the complexity of the work and a few other things but i just want a guideline that i can work with, im kind of clueless. if anyone does art or sells their artwork i would be grateful for your help and even if you dont, how much would call a reasonable price?

here is a link to some of my work: http://nickvasko.deviantart.com/gallery/

thanks in advance

PLAYSTATION®3 is the future.....NOW.......B_E_L_I_E_V_E

Around the Network

Considering it's digital artwork, you really can't price it as anything but a print. Obviously if you're doing a commission you can charge for that, but for the prints themself, you're not going to be able to charge very much, it's going to come down to the size, the quality of paper, etc.

dystopia said:

Considering it's digital artwork, you really can't price it as anything but a print. Obviously if you're doing a commission you can charge for that, but for the prints themself, you're not going to be able to charge very much, it's going to come down to the size, the quality of paper, etc.

Not true if you give them the original vector file. It depends on what they're using it for.

As for pricing, it ENTIRELY depends on your region and what others are working for. But don't shortchange yourself; if they want an original piece of art (and yours is quite nice), they will have to pay handsomely for it. Hand-drawn work is far too time-consuming to give away for 100 pounds.

Or check out my new webcomic: http://selfcentent.com/

rocketpig said:
dystopia said:

Not true if you give them the original vector file. It depends on what they're using it for.

As for pricing, it ENTIRELY depends on your region and what others are working for. But don't shortchange yourself; if they want an original piece of art (and yours is quite nice), they will have to pay handsomely for it. Hand-drawn work is far too time-consuming to give away for 100 pounds.

thanks for your input guys... so im guessin i should do commission then?     

I made some illustrations for magazines (not the big ones)  in the past.. they would pay me around 400 to 500 euro's per illustration.. I also sold some work on canvas print (around 80 by 80 cm) which fetched me around 250 euro while the cost were like 50 euro's.. and I got like 3 euro's a Tshirt whenever a local shop sold my Tshirt, I only made the design ,they printed it... So it really depends on the what job you are doing and if you sell or keep the rights to the image..

Face the future.. Gamecenter ID: nikkom_nl (oh no he didn't!!) 

Around the Network
NiKKoM said:

I made some illustrations for magazines (not the big ones)  in the past.. they would pay me around 400 to 500 euro's per illustration.. I also sold some work on canvas print (around 80 by 80 cm) which fetched me around 250 euro while the cost were like 50 euro's.. and I got like 3 euro's a Tshirt whenever a local shop sold my Tshirt, I only made the design ,they printed it... So it really depends on the what job you are doing and if you sell or keep the rights to the image..

well im just starting out so its nothing big like a magazine lol, ive got someone who wants me to do a vector of their family