By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - Microsoft is "World's MOST Innovative Company"

NotStan said:
libellule said:

they were not the first and they just bought the israelien technology, that is it.

I still think kinect is "innovative"

but MS, overall, is THE MOST NON INNOVATIVE COMPANY EVER
they just created (stolen) Window and made tonne of money on it

So now BIll Gates stole windows, from whom?

OT, I don't think that it deserves this award as it's most likely subjective as been pointed out before, therefore means jack overall, but comparing EyeToy to Kinect is just silly, it's like comparing a PS1 to PS3, the concept may be along the same lines but the latter is far better than the first.

What MS brought to consoles so far:

Online capabilities(Original Xbox Live)

Internal Hard Drive(Idea akin to the PC hard drives, but they were the first to introduce it to consoles), unless there was a console before that did that and I am mistaken.

What about wireless controllers? Who's idea was that? <- that is not a flamebait question, I am genuinely not sure.

I think it was the Wavebird for the Nintendo Gamecube.

Around the Network
PizzaFaceGamer said:
dtewi said:

Yeah, it is pretty innovative.

Too bad Microsoft didn't make it first.

Microsoft didn't make what first?  Windows phone? Kinect? Windows 7?  XBOX 360?  XBOX LIVE? 

I'm not following your logic

Not the first one to make smart phone OS, not the first one to utilize IR camera, not the first one to have an OS with GUI, not the first to make a gaming console, and sure as hell not the inventors of online gaming. Follow those logics.

Innovation is the wrong word btw, it's evoluition, evolutionary would be a fine word to use for a company like Microsoft, it's never innovation since they haven't invented  or really introduced something that's really new. It's just that people are oblivous to such things before and MS is the one advertising them. Advertising is in conjunction with spending power, and that's one power MS has, money. So innovation my ass.

dtewi said:
PizzaFaceGamer said:
dtewi said:

Microsoft didn't make what first?  Windows phone? Kinect? Windows 7?

The tech behind Kinect... and in essence Kinect itself.

Sony's Eyetoy? Do you remember that?

Webcams, do you remember those?

huaxiong90 said:
dtewi said:
huaxiong90 said:

As usual, the VGC community continues to disappoint me.

Stop criticizing us, hot boob lady.

Lol. But seriously, is it so hard to have a decent discussion? Never mind the fact that the OP is bad enough as it is.

It's a bit hard to have a decent discussion when the facts are so blatantly wrong.

Even though my first few posts were rather non-constructive, I have been implied to be biased for saying Kinect isn't innovative. I just don't see any decent discussion to be had here. Maybe it's just me though... 

@guy-above-me

Errr... yeah. You can definitely play video games with body movements with a webcam.

Kimi wa ne tashika ni ano toki watashi no soba ni ita

Itsudatte itsudatte itsudatte

Sugu yoko de waratteita

Nakushitemo torimodosu kimi wo

I will never leave you

Around the Network
dtewi said:
huaxiong90 said:

Lol. But seriously, is it so hard to have a decent discussion? Never mind the fact that the OP is bad enough as it is.

It's a bit hard to have a decent discussion when the facts are so blatantly wrong.

Even though my first few posts were rather non-constructive, I have been implied to be biased for saying Kinect isn't innovative. I just don't see any decent discussion to be had here. Maybe it's just me though... 

I wasn't really criticizing you. Mostly the OP, and also people who are being completely uncivilized about this.

Rockstar: Announce Bully 2 already and make gamers proud!

Kojima: Come out with Project S already!

huaxiong90 said:
dtewi said:
huaxiong90 said:

I wasn't really criticizing you. Mostly the OP, and also people who are being completely uncivilized about this.

I wasn't responding to your criticism really. Just thinking about the thread in general.

Kimi wa ne tashika ni ano toki watashi no soba ni ita

Itsudatte itsudatte itsudatte

Sugu yoko de waratteita

Nakushitemo torimodosu kimi wo

I will never leave you

dtewi said:
PizzaFaceGamer said:
dtewi said:
PizzaFaceGamer said:
dtewi said:

Microsoft didn't make what first?  Windows phone? Kinect? Windows 7?

The tech behind Kinect... and in essence Kinect itself.

Sony's Eyetoy? Do you remember that?

No i never owned an eyetoy...but i have heard of them.  They seems cool but nothing like kinect

ever heard of an atari video game system?

Ya know the one sony and nintendo copied? 

They're exactly like Kinect.So the the idea that Kinect is innovative isn't true.

Eyetoy is nothing like Kinect.

• The Eyetoy is much simpler than the Kinect
  • The Eyetoy does not have the ability to perceive depth while Kinect does
  • The Eyetoy does not have noise suppression voice location  while the Kinect does
  • The Eyetoy cannot recognize voices while the Kinect can
  • The Eyetoy is pretty much fixed while the Kinect moves to track

• EMULATION is the past.....NOW.......B_E_L_I_E_V_E

dtewi said:
    huaxiong90 said:

I wasn't responding to your criticism really. Just thinking about the thread in general.

In that case, I agree. His comment at the end of the OP scrapes the bottom of the barrel.

darklich13 said:

Eyetoy is nothing like Kinect.

• The Eyetoy is much simpler than the Kinect
  • The Eyetoy does not have the ability to perceive depth while Kinect does
  • The Eyetoy does not have noise suppression voice location  while the Kinect does
  • The Eyetoy cannot recognize voices while the Kinect can
  • The Eyetoy is pretty much fixed while the Kinect moves to track

• It doesn't change the fact that Kinect is evolutionary technology.

To innovate is to do something nobody has ever done before, down to the fundamentals. Kinect doesn't do that. I'm not trying to downplay Kinect when I say this, as the Kinect hacks are pretty damn impressive, but Kinect isn't innovative, especially to the point of calling Microsoft the most innovative company. It's called a refinement.

Just like Gears of War. It refined the cover system concept from kill.switch and this other game, I forgot its name.

Or like LBP...or Heavy Rain (which is a hybrid between Dragon's Lair and point and click adventure games on the PC).

With that said, people aren't giving Microsoft enough credit, as Microsoft actually scrapped the earlier depth sensor device in favor of a cheaper device from PrimeSense (I think), and it's the software that Microsoft developed for it which does most of the work.