By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Sony reaffirms PS3 2010 sales projections

DirtyP2002 said:

The point that confuses some people is that all the numbers we get point in a totally different direction than Sonys numbers. Please do not point your fingers at someone who is confused by this. This is not a defense mode, just a simple question.

NPD showed PS3 in a very distant 3rd place and more or less flat for the year.
Media Create showed PS3 in decline. Being down YoY I think due to FFXIII last year.
The UK numbers we get show PS3 in third place.

Now Sony reports shipped numbers and suddenly the PS3 is outselling the Wii by quite a big margin. So I want to know where those PS3s are sold. Somewhere in Africa? not a big enough market. South America where you have to pay $1000 per console? Mexico is more a Xbox360 country.

I think nobody really knows including VGC.

I am not saying overshipped stuff, even though I wouldn't be surprised if Sony calculated things differently. It just puzzles me.

I agree, "Others" accounts for quite a large part of the EMEAA sales, if you think about it.. "others" include countries where people resort to living on $1 a day, as if a system will move large numbers...But I guess it adds Zimbabwe, Egypt, India, Sri Lanka, Bangladesh etc etc, if at least 100 consoles are sold in each it'll probably already account for like 20k. It is puzzling but be wary of being accused of being a fanboy for questioning the mighty shipped numbers and for insinuating that Sony stuffs channel!

Disconnect and self destruct, one bullet a time.

Around the Network
pezus said:

Jeez, Sony has been overshipping for 2-3 quarters in a row then? Do stores just pile them up until the piles reach the heavens?

Of course.  I just climbed a pile of them only of find Saint Peter playing Killzone 2.  I was kind of shocked to hear him say, "Die you Helghast Motha F%@#*&!!!"

DirtyP2002 said:

The point that confuses some people is that all the numbers we get point in a totally different direction than Sonys numbers. Please do not point your fingers at someone who is confused by this. This is not a defense mode, just a simple question.

Media Create showed PS3 in decline. Being down YoY I think due to FFXIII last year.

Now Sony reports shipped numbers and suddenly the PS3 is outselling the Wii by quite a big margin. So I want to know where those PS3s are sold. Somewhere in Africa? not a big enough market. South America where you have to pay $1000 per console? Mexico is more a Xbox360 country.

I am not saying overshipped stuff, even though I wouldn't be surprised if Sony calculated things differently. It just puzzles me.

Ummm, the last time those heavy adjustments for the PS3 were made, it was because of Nintendo's data, not because of Sony's shipped numbers.

And somehow you seem to forget about the rest of Europe (you mentioned only UK, NA and Japan, then you "jumped" to Africa). You live in Germany just like me, so you should know that the PS3 is more popular here (honestly, I blame MS for that because they're not doing enough advertising here), and by looking at VGC numbers, it's the same in many other countries in Europe (like Spain, France or Italy).

2012 - Top 3 [so far]

#1                                       #2                                      #3

psrock said:
fighter said:
Wagram said:
psrock said:

They are selling better somewhere not Japan or US i guess.

EMEAA is a huge territory. Honestly Sony hitting the gutter was probably the best thing for them. They are kicking so much ass now. Best 3rd place ever and has an AMAZING category of games on the PS3 now. God the games next year alone could give ya the shakes.

Are you saying 2011 will be the best year of the PS3 ?

Honestly that sounds pretty similar to what was said about 2008/9/10 being the best years of the PS3 (btw when did it, according to you, "hit the gutter" ?).

Are you being ironic or is it really what you think ?

At least look at the numbers before posting, every year has been the PS3'S best year.

Well, yeah every year has been better for the PS3. They started so far at the bottom, there was no place to go but up. If they hadn't released the PS3 Slim when they did, I think they would have actually started dropping back down again. They were lucky really. They still won't catch the Wii. Nintendo will milk the Wii for another 3 years. They are making too much money off of it for them to just pull the plug. Wii is selling for $200 and probably cost Nintendo $125 to make.

'gaming till I'm gone'

M.U.G.E.N said:

the overshippzzzz mantra eh? :D have been here for like, an year or so? and have heard that so so many times it's not even funny anymore...well maybe a little funny

Good to know that Sony are still on track.it's all about EMEAA imo...sales of PS2 and even games like GTASA should give people an idea of how strong the PS brand is in those region...

Yeah.. but the Wii brand appears to be stronger in European countries. In just about every region, it's outselling the PS3. So Sony PS3 is not longer dominate anywhere really. Its days of dominance is over this generation.

'gaming till I'm gone'

Around the Network

lol.  Channel Stuffing versus Phantom Markets.  It's like lose / lose.

psrock said:

Hardware Sales Ap-Jn   Jl-Sp   Oc-Dc  Ja-Mr   FY
FY 2009/10          1.1        3.2       6.5        2.2      13.0
FY 2010/11          2.4         3.5 - -                            5.9

Sony will make this not because of the OCT-DEC period, but the JA-MAR one. Sony had so much issue shipping enough console in that quater althugh demand ws there, I expect them to to ship more than 2.2 milion.

This.

People here didn't get the fact Sony is inline with it prediction.

With LBP2, Killzone 3 and others games the Jan-Mar period will be huge... something like 3.0m plus... more 6.0m on Oct-Dec you get the 15m.

I expected Sony shipping a little more than 15.0m... maybe 15.2m.

LOL Channel Stuffing excuse again... after more than 1 year it became a joke.

pezus said:
XanderZane said:
M.U.G.E.N said:

the overshippzzzz mantra eh? :D have been here for like, an year or so? and have heard that so so many times it's not even funny anymore...well maybe a little funny

Good to know that Sony are still on track.it's all about EMEAA imo...sales of PS2 and even games like GTASA should give people an idea of how strong the PS brand is in those region...

Yeah.. but the Wii brand appears to be stronger in European countries. In just about every region, it's outselling the PS3. So Sony PS3 is not longer dominate anywhere really. Its days of dominance is over this generation.

That's not true, look at the numbers again. Anyways, why did you have to bring the Wii into this? Wii being stronger in Europe doesn't mean the PS brand is not strong.

Don't worry about it too much.  Some people just cannot take the fact that the PS3 has been such a success story of rockY beginnings.  The PS3 is here to stay, and the haters cannot do anything about it.

snfr said:
DirtyP2002 said:

Ummm, the last time those heavy adjustments for the PS3 were made, it was because of Nintendo's data, not because of Sony's shipped numbers.

And somehow you seem to forget about the rest of Europe (you mentioned only UK, NA and Japan, then you "jumped" to Africa). You live in Germany just like me, so you should know that the PS3 is more popular here (honestly, I blame MS for that because they're not doing enough advertising here), and by looking at VGC numbers, it's the same in many other countries in Europe (like Spain, France or Italy).

But France, Italy, Germany and Spain are very tiny markets compared to UK, NA and Japan. The difference between the Xbox360 and PS3 in the US in November was like 800k. That is 300k more than the lifetime gap in Italy. So one month of Xbox 360 outselling the PS3 in the US was almost double the amount of consoles the PS3 outsold the Xbox360 in Italy for 4 years. Xbox is doing quite well in Scandinavia and Australia, but both markets are too small to make a difference.

I agree that MS should market the Xbox 360 in continental Europe. I saw 2 Xbox 360 commercials in the past 12 months. One for CoD Black ops and one for NFS Hot Pursuit. But it is the other way around in NA / UK I guess.

Imagine not having GamePass on your console...

DirtyP2002 said:
snfr said:

But France, Italy, Germany and Spain are very tiny markets compared to UK, NA and Japan. The difference between the Xbox360 and PS3 in the US in November was like 800k. That is 300k more than the lifetime gap in Italy. So one month of Xbox 360 outselling the PS3 in the US was almost double the amount of consoles the PS3 outsold the Xbox360 in Italy for 4 years. Xbox is doing quite well in Scandinavia and Australia, but both markets are too small to make a difference.

I agree that MS should market the Xbox 360 in continental Europe. I saw 2 Xbox 360 commercials in the past 12 months. One for CoD Black ops and one for NFS Hot Pursuit. But it is the other way around in NA / UK I guess.

Well, of course they are tiny markets in comparison. But if you combine many tiny markets (continental Europe plus middle east, etc.) you'll have great sales overall. Anyway, shipped consoles must go somewhere, they will hardly be buried in the desert next to the Atari ET game.

To be honest, I think MS has lost continental Europe this gen overall. And I think here you can see the difference between Sony and MS. MS seems to focus mostly on the US and UK, two huge gaming markets. Sony on the other hand doesn't seem to focus on one market in particular, but on many different markets, also middle, small and tiny ones.

2012 - Top 3 [so far]

#1                                       #2                                      #3