By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Final Fantasy XIII's Musical Score

Ok, so I'm sitting at work today and listening to some random music on my laptop and the XIII soundtrack pops up. After while, I start to listen to more and more of it, and I'm extremely impressed. Masashi Hamauzu did a fantastic job with this game. I'm more surprised that it goes entirely unnoticed. It doesn't have any super identifiable main track like FFX with Suteki da ne or FFVIII with Eyes on me, but there's are tons of great pieces (many of which are performed by the Warsaw Philaharmonic!).

Do you think the reaction to the game hurt the recgonition to the music? Or am I alone in these setiments as well as my opinion on the game?

"We'll toss the dice however they fall,
And snuggle the girls be they short or tall,
Then follow young Mat whenever he calls,
To dance with Jak o' the Shadows."

Check out MyAnimeList and my Game Collection. Owner of the 5 millionth post.

Around the Network

I was personally not impressed with the soundtrack. I was expecting more perhaps.

Boutros said:

I was personally not impressed with the soundtrack. I was expecting more perhaps.

What did you want more of? It has tons of orchestral stuff, would rather stuff a bit more varied?

I can understand expecting more. I certainly don't think it has the best soundtrack ever, but it certainly is up there imo.

Definitely an excellent musical score, one of the most underrated in gaming, its a shame this musical score, excellent battle system, great setting and decent cast of characters had to be tied up into a terrible story, nausea inducing dialogue and terrible level design. In the end I still enjoyed it more than FF12 though.

outlawauron said:
Boutros said:

What did you want more of? It has tons of orchestral stuff, would rather stuff a bit more varied?

I can understand expecting more. I certainly don't think it has the best soundtrack ever, but it certainly is up there imo.

I don't really know...FFX had some awesome musics.

It doesn't help that I didn't like the combat music :/

I liked a couple of them but I already forgot most.

Around the Network
Rob-Ot said:

Definitely an excellent musical score, one of the most underrated in gaming, its a shame this musical score, excellent battle system, great setting and decent cast of characters had to be tied up into a terrible story, nausea inducing dialogue and terrible level design. In the end I still enjoyed it more than FF12 though.

I enjoyed the story and especially the ending. I thought it was much more orginial than your typical JRPG story/ending. I play a lot of JRPGs with much, much worse dialogue so I didn't quite notice the writing issues. By terrible level design, I'm assuming you're talking about the linearity at the start of the game?

Rob-Ot said:

Definitely an excellent musical score, one of the most underrated in gaming, its a shame this musical score, excellent battle system, great setting and decent cast of characters had to be tied up into a terrible story, nausea inducing dialogue and terrible level design.

Perfectly described the game. Music was definitely underrated though. =/

All of this, of course, is just my opinion.

Skyrim 100%'d. Dark Souls 100%'d. 
Dark Souls > Skyrim.
Halo 4 is the best damn FPS since Halo 3.
Proud pre-orderer of 2 PS4's and an Xbox One. 

Currently Playing: Dark Souls II, South Park
Playstation 4: MGS V GZ, Killzone: Shadow Fall, NBA 2k14.

Boutros said:
outlawauron said:
Boutros said:

I don't really know...FFX had some awesome musics.

It doesn't help that I didn't like the combat music :/

I liked a couple of them but I already forgot most.

That's understandable, but I absolutely love the combat music. I'm a sucker for violins and it has electric violins at about the ~35 second point, which immediately won me over.

outlawauron said:
Rob-Ot said:

I enjoyed the story and especially the ending. I thought it was much more orginial than your typical JRPG story/ending. I play a lot of JRPGs with much, much worse dialogue so I didn't quite notice the writing issues. By terrible level design, I'm assuming you're talking about the linearity at the start of the game?

Story - Yes the idea is original, thats why I said the setting was great, the premise was different from most JRPG's. However the story just wasn't told well, the datalog told a good story, the game didn't. This angers me more, the developers had a good story but it wasn't told in game.

Dialogue - I know what you mean, star ocean 4 dialogue makes FF13 seem like shakespeare, but just because others do it worse doesn't mean this game doesn't do it bad on an objective level.

Linearity - Yes, I hated the linearity in X and hate it here. Thats not all, by design I mean lack of variety (sure on gran pulse it wasn't linear but now I ran around in circles fighting enemies) and variety in side content. Then the games battle system is developed too slowly. I would welcome a FFXIII-2 because from interviews I think developers have realized where they went wrong.

This is the most un-great game I've played, for everything done well there was something I didn't like. Just to give you my background with the series, my favourite is IX and since X turned out to be mediocre for me I have felt they have dropped a lot in quality.

outlawauron said:

Ok, so I'm sitting at work today and listening to some random music on my laptop and the XIII soundtrack pops up. After while, I start to listen to more and more of it, and I'm extremely impressed. Masashi Hamauzu did a fantastic job with this game. I'm more surprised that it goes entirely unnoticed. It doesn't have any super identifiable main track like FFX with Suteki da ne or FFVIII with Eyes on me, but there's are tons of great pieces (many of which are performed by the Warsaw Philaharmonic!).

Do you think the reaction to the game hurt the recgonition to the music? Or am I alone in these setiments as well as my opinion on the game?

Look I understand you may have liked it, but at the same time I am shocked and appalled! I never heard an intense or interesting track in that entire game. The only music that even stuck with me is that fucking awful woman singing "La-da-da-da-dah-da". Seriously if that game had a better soundtrack I might have been able to forgive some of its lesser faults. But there were literally times where I muted my TV in disgust. Barf barf BARF barf BaRf bArF.

Pardon the barfing.