By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Zelda:SS is half done

It does not have a jump button because it is not a platformer game

Around the Network

...I guess this topic's over.

DavidValbu said:
Cactus said:

If you link back (haha) to the original interview, Miyamoto says that the game is "over half complete." Very poor reporting by Eurogamer. For all we know, the game could be at 70%, 80%, 90%, etc, not strictly 50%.

I remember telling everyone that Zelda would be released next Christmas. Yes, Nintendo lie tu us...again.

I don't think they are lying. The game was planned for Christmas 2010. But it got pushed back. Here is what I think happened.

Spirit Tracks, a main Zelda series, didn't sell very well and wasn't well received by fans (trains were a big reason). It wasn't good for a Zelda game and Skyward Swords was going the same direction. Remember that the game was originally planned to not have motion plus, and probably not even a sword. Iwata probably assigned Miyamoto to the game to fix it, which is where we get the focus on motion plus, as well as things like bowling bombs and potions on the fly. This is a stark contrast to no motion plus.

You also have to wonder: if this has been in production since after Twilight Princess (as said by Aonuma), then why is it only over half way done. Shouldn't it be more. Iwata even said at the begginning of this year that it was due by the end of 2010. Yet now it's in 2011. 

It's obvious. Nintendo saw what happened to Spirit Tracks and is trying to fix it. The question is where Nintendo will go next. Zelda wasn't in dire straights yet. This is why Skyward Swords can continue. They need to tweak it (a lot though). Yet, Metroid is dying thanks to Sakamoto. Both Aonuma and Sakamoto are running series into the ground. The question is what will be on these core series. I think that Zelda will continue, but either someone else will do it or Miyamoto will have more involvment.

Spirit Tracks sold about on par with the average Zelda game.

But I do believe like you it was delayed, but not because of Spirit Tracks not being well received but primarily because they were trying to work the controls to feel more natural. Nintendo knows it can possibly win the hardcore crowd with this Zelda, but they also don't want to alienate the casual and sometimes nostalgia fueled audience that has been built up on the Wii.

Right now, a scenario writer is probably crapping himself trying to tie this game into Ocarina of Time, along with a bunch of other older Zelda games, while still making it original. I can only hope that it is closer to Spirit Tracks in originality then other console Zeldas have been since Wind Waker. Can't keep ripping off Ocarina of Time and expecting it to sit with the Zelda faithful forever.

Smashchu2 said:
DavidValbu said:
Cactus said:

If you link back (haha) to the original interview, Miyamoto says that the game is "over half complete." Very poor reporting by Eurogamer. For all we know, the game could be at 70%, 80%, 90%, etc, not strictly 50%.

I remember telling everyone that Zelda would be released next Christmas. Yes, Nintendo lie tu us...again.

I don't think they are lying. The game was planned for Christmas 2010. But it got pushed back. Here is what I think happened.

Spirit Tracks, a main Zelda series, didn't sell very well and wasn't well received by fans (trains were a big reason). It wasn't good for a Zelda game and Skyward Swords was going the same direction. Remember that the game was originally planned to not have motion plus, and probably not even a sword. Iwata probably assigned Miyamoto to the game to fix it, which is where we get the focus on motion plus, as well as things like bowling bombs and potions on the fly. This is a stark contrast to no motion plus.

You also have to wonder: if this has been in production since after Twilight Princess (as said by Aonuma), then why is it only over half way done. Shouldn't it be more. Iwata even said at the begginning of this year that it was due by the end of 2010. Yet now it's in 2011. 

It's obvious. Nintendo saw what happened to Spirit Tracks and is trying to fix it. The question is where Nintendo will go next. Zelda wasn't in dire straights yet. This is why Skyward Swords can continue. They need to tweak it (a lot though). Yet, Metroid is dying thanks to Sakamoto. Both Aonuma and Sakamoto are running series into the ground. The question is what will be on these core series. I think that Zelda will continue, but either someone else will do it or Miyamoto will have more involvment.

I'm gonna need proof on the bolded paragraph, because A: the motion-plus Zelda (or at least a far more motion-intensive Zelda) was the obvious move from the beginning, and B: Zelda without a sword, when discussed, was discussed in the context of a momentary thing, a la the first run through the Foresaken Fortress in the Wind Waker)

Monster Hunter: pissing me off since 2010.