By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - PC Discussion - Steam Holiday Sale! Hundreds Of Deals EVERY DAY!

Are high pings in Bad Company 2 normal?

I'm connecting to servers with the lowest pings I can find (ie - 10-30ms) and even though my ping is on the low end compared to everybody else, it's still 100 .

So far I've overcome a few issues with Bad Company 2 already.

1- Horrible default FOV which was tweakable in the .ini file. Thank god because the default FOV might be passable for playing on the PS3/360 on a TV across the room, but it was making me sick trying to play it at the default setting on a computer monitor.

2- Low performance - forcing DX9 did the trick. Instead of 30fps at best, I'm getting 40fps at the very worst. In fact, the smoothness of playing this game now feels weird for some reason. Maybe it's because I've only played it prior on consoles where it's 30fps?

Around the Network
IllegalPaladin said:

1- Horrible default FOV which was tweakable in the .ini file. Thank god because the default FOV might be passable for playing on the PS3/360 on a TV across the room, but it was making me sick trying to play it at the default setting on a computer monitor.

2- Low performance - forcing DX9 did the trick. Instead of 30fps at best, I'm getting 40fps at the very worst. In fact, the smoothness of playing this game now feels weird for some reason. Maybe it's because I've only played it prior on consoles where it's 30fps?

1. field of view? as in how much you see on screen (like a zoom?). I'd be interested in knowing how to modify that ^^. is it just a single line in the .ini ?

2. do you have a good comp? (haven't tried my copy yet :p)

OoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoO

Antabus said:
Foamer said:
Antabus said:
Foamer said:

You can install the games where you want.

Okay, I buy a game and I can pick a folder for it? No?

I see that you feel it is trolling for a paying customer to complain about the bad service he gets...

Hush now, you're making an utter fool of yourself. Either use the solutions given to you, or stop using Steam in a butthurt rage because you're not bright enough to follow some simple instructions and can't work out how to copy and paste. Either way, bugger off and troll somewhere else.

Those solutions are simply unacceptable for any reasonable customer.

I just read the thing as i'm at 400/450 on my drive with only half my new games installed.... Junction seems easy as hell with the program, it's basically just creating a shortcut manually through a tiny program.

-> Way easier for the average customer than actually installing a new hard drive.... and if you can do that then you can do a shortcut... and since you have 3, you definitely didn't get that at your quickiemarkt.

Heck this can be usefull for many things other than steam if you have many hard drives and partitions.... for example, say you have a small SSD as your boot drive, you can virtually extend it's space by moving useless junk to an other slower drive while keeping it in the correct path for the system. Or say you have a media hard drive with your songs/movies/whatever and need more space... then instead of destroying your whole archiving architecture, you can just move that "country songs" folder to an other drive and do a junction... or move the "A-D" movie folder and do a junction...

I wouldn't bother- he's determined to make a 'point'. It's funny though that someone who affects such disdain for Steam looks to be considering buying new games from it, you'd think they'd just not use it. Unless of course, they're just making shit up for trolling purposes, which I strongly suspect.

Antabus said:

In other words, you've been shown that it can be done, so you're falling back to the old 'yeah, but it's too complicated for a normal person' position- which is a particularly weak position as Hephaestos has pointed out,  as all it involves is copying and pasting or creating a few shortcuts.

I don't assume to speak for everyone, but I'd imagine during a reinstall that backing up one folder and copying it into a new location is a damned sight easier than hunting all over the place for all your other game folders, saved games and app settings. Which is probably why Valve did it this way, of course, and I'm glad they did as it made upgrading to Windows 7 last year a bit of a breeze for me.

Around the Network
Foamer said:
Antabus said:

In other words, you've been shown that it can be done, so you're falling back to the old 'yeah, but it's too complicated for a normal person' position- which is a particularly weak position as Hephaestos has pointed out,  as all it involves is copying and pasting or creating a few shortcuts.

I don't assume to speak for everyone, but I'd imagine during a reinstall that backing up one folder and copying it into a new location is a damned sight easier than hunting all over the place for all your other game folders, saved games and app settings. Which is probably why Valve did it this way, of course, and I'm glad they did as it made upgrading to Windows 7 last year a bit of a breeze for me.

No, that is just unacceptable because Valve could easily let you pick the install folder for games and that has to be done pretty soon. I bet a lot of people will have the same problem soon or have it at the moment.

Hephaestos said:
Antabus said:
Foamer said:
Antabus said:
Foamer said:

You can install the games where you want.

Okay, I buy a game and I can pick a folder for it? No?

I see that you feel it is trolling for a paying customer to complain about the bad service he gets...

Hush now, you're making an utter fool of yourself. Either use the solutions given to you, or stop using Steam in a butthurt rage because you're not bright enough to follow some simple instructions and can't work out how to copy and paste. Either way, bugger off and troll somewhere else.

I just read the thing as i'm at 400/450 on my drive with only half my new games installed.... Junction seems easy as hell with the program, it's basically just creating a shortcut manually through a tiny program.

-> Way easier for the average customer than actually installing a new hard drive.... and if you can do that then you can do a shortcut... and since you have 3, you definitely didn't get that at your quickiemarkt.

Heck this can be usefull for many things other than steam if you have many hard drives and partitions.... for example, say you have a small SSD as your boot drive, you can virtually extend it's space by moving useless junk to an other slower drive while keeping it in the correct path for the system. Or say you have a media hard drive with your songs/movies/whatever and need more space... then instead of destroying your whole archiving architecture, you can just move that "country songs" folder to an other drive and do a junction... or move the "A-D" movie folder and do a junction...

Sure, it might be easy. It would be much easier to install the games where you want, just like you do on better DD-services like GFWL.

Antabus said:

Sure, it might be easy. It would be much easier to install the games where you want, just like you do on better DD-services like GFWL.

sure, but you like using easy geeky twists to make things work, makes you feel technically knowledgable when you help your friends out for their "big" computer problems, so it's not truely a problem for you now is it? =)

anyways we'll all be using GFWL soon as Windows8 will be gaming oriented (or stay on Win7 ^^)

Hephaestos said:
Antabus said:

sure, but you like using easy geeky twists to make things work, makes you feel technically knowledgable when you help your friends out for their "big" computer problems, so it's not truely a problem for you now is it? =)

anyways we'll all be using GFWL soon as Windows8 will be gaming oriented (or stay on Win7 ^^)

Actually helping my friends with their computer problems makes me feel frustrated in humanity. :P

Antabus said:

No, that is just unacceptable because Valve could easily let you pick the install folder for games and that has to be done pretty soon. I bet a lot of people will have the same problem soon or have it at the moment.

I take it you're 'betting' on this assertion because of the fantastic sale going on at the moment featuring hundreds upon hundreds of discounted games (as opposed to the GfWL 'sale', which appears to have, erm... Mahjong), and not just making a sweeping statement based on nothing?

Either way, I bet if and when it happens, then said people will look for an answer and find two trivial ways to get round the problem. Or, you know, just delete some stuff.

Anyway, good job, you've managed to derail another thread. Until the next batch of daily deals at least.