By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - NoA Call Conference Transcript

Chadius said:
Synopsis for the tl;dr types. Obviously this is my biased translation:

1) We are manufacturing more home consoles than anyone has ever done before. And we're still sold out. Really sorry about that. We can't rely on our old projections, sorry! We have no stockpiles.

2) Gamestop will be selling Wii rainchecks. Buy the raincheck now, pick up your Wii before January 29th. *kicks eBay in teh groin*

3) We've asked all the retailers to give a big end-of-season push with our most recent shipment. Stores that had 15-20 should have around 100 Wiis. Gimme money.

4) Oh yeah, the DS...prints money, lol

Q&A TIME!

Q: I've heard retired/elderly folk play the Wii.
A: Yup.

Q: More details on the raincheck program plz?
A: Talk to Gamestop. We'll use this to gauge demand though.

Q: Did you shift 50% of your manufactured Wiis to North America during November?
A: Yes. Japan & Europe don't have Thanksgiving shopping insanity.

Q: Will people stop buying new games like SMG because they're satisfied with WiiSports + WiiPlay?
A: We sold 1.2 million copies of SMG! We're beating the PS2's attach rate at 1 year after its launch! SMG has a 97 on Metacritic! We're doing OK.

Q: What about 3rd party publishers? Are they worried about people not buying new games?
A: Nope. Look at Guitar Hero, Mario & Sonic at the Olympics, they're selling great!

Q: Is the raincheck program only for Gamestop?
A: Yes.

Q: Wait, what about 3rd party shovelware?
A: Quality is a subjective term, we don't test based on that. But remember, 3rd party games at launch on the DS were shovelware too, and now they're great!

Q: Do you really think you're expanding the player market?
A: Yes, look at the ESA studies, and the stories at launch. The elderly too.

Q: DS?
A: Still prints money. And NOT sold out.

Q: Online VC games? Voice chat?
A: No online VC games, we don't want to modify the old code (much.) Voice chat maybe.

Q: What about stores that charge more than $250 for the Wii?
A: We break their legs -er, give them fewer Wiis for the next shipment.

Q: Software sales?
A: 6.4 attach ratio, lookin' good!

Q: So, why only 1.8 million?
A: Manufacturing constraints. Oh, and no console has ever done this well, sorry!

Q: O RLY?
A: YA RLY!

Q: What about Latin America and Canada?
A: We're shipping Wiis to those ASAP.

END TRANSMISSION

Lol, that was great. But what happens when people sell the vouchers on ebay? (afterthought, maybe they'll be region limited)

And what's with the vouchers really? I wonder if this is just gamestop not disclosing any info until it happens. Maybe to stop people from waiting until the vouchers are available and not visiting their stores?

Currently playing: Civ 6

Around the Network

Ah, the rainchecks are locked by serial number and by store. You would only be able to sell to someone who lives within car range of the store you bought it from. This is MUCH harder to pull off over eBay.

Second thought about the company email: Gamestop may want to prevent employees from telling people about the raincheck program. So your manager may get an email next week saying "Oops, I guess it wasn't cancelled! Sell those puppies!"

There is no such thing as a console war. This is the first step to game design.

I believe 616 is becoming the more accepted "number of the beast".

6.4 attach rate!!!123abc *checks VGC Americas numbers*
No stockpiles, gits... even so 18.5 million is a sure thing before 2008.

After Halo3 people are really confused about how great games usually sell... 1.2 million in 2/3 weeks is incredible [or was he referring to WW 1st week?]

Bah Reggie, i hate tge term "touched on" It's a good job you are in big business, and thus excused, else i'd fly over and kick your arse.

Great synopsis Chadius.

@chadius; regards Ebay... An old issue of Official Nintendo Magazine here in UK had an issue with a cardboard cut-out of the Wii-remote to glue together in 3D.
On the ONM forums [i went there a lot before coming here] a girl by screenname "Peach" sold this cardboard remote over Ebay for £20.

What i am saying is that many people will be stupid enough to buy this certificate, the seller won't put "only redeemable here" in the info.

Holy cow.

Favorite Companies: Nintendo, Blizzard, Valve.
Recent New Favorites: Grasshopper, Atlus. (R.I.P. Clover.)
Heroes/Homies: Shigeru Miyamoto, Gunpei Yokoi, Will Wright, Eric Chahi, Suda51, Brian Eno, David Bowie.
Haiku Group: Haiku Hell.
Nemeses: Snesboy, fkusumot. 
GameDaily Article that Interviewed Me: Console Defense Forces.

Around the Network

Oops, forgot the principle rule of the internet: Buyers are stupid.

There is no such thing as a console war. This is the first step to game design.

Chadius said:
Oops, forgot the principle rule of the internet: Buyers are stupid.

Not necesarrily stupid, they just don't read the auction pages or do any of their own research.

"You are bidding on an "e-envelope" which could have a Wii!" lmao

Edited for spelling

Currently playing: Civ 6

Nice summary Chadius.  Well done.

Very informative information. Like someone previously said earlier in this thread...I wish someone spoke of some sort of EXTERNAL STORAGE unit. Oh well. Good read by the way. Another reason why I like this site.

Generation 8 Predictions so far.....(as of 9/2013)

Console that will sell most: Nintendo Wii U

Who will sell more consoles between Microsoft/SONY: SONY

Oh and what was that bit about Canada not having thanksgiving?

The only teeth strong enough to eat other teeth.