By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Can the Ps2 take the crown for the longest supported console?

People love to bring up the long life of the ps1 and ps2, but it really isn't that uncommon for a console to be supported for 10 years,this is ignoring revival support or community development (the new atari/sega plug and plays will be excluded and nothing could touch the 2600's homebrew support as it has always had homebrew support)

The genesis had new games for nearly 10 years, with the last releases being in 1998, and majesco continued to sell the official genesis 3 until the year 2000, some 11 years of console manufacturing under the official approval of Sega, if you want to go into the wacky antics of TechToy in Brazil the genesis/MD's lifespan becomes even longer, same goes for the master system

The intellivision was officially support for 11 years, with the last games and consoles trickling out for the 79 super system in 1990

Every very successul nintendo console lasted about 10 years (GB, NES, SNES)

right now the reigning king depends one what you consider support

For Hardware manufacturing and sales from the manufacturer I doubt it can touch the Famicom's rediculous 20 years of support from 1983 to 2003 (yes nintendo sold and manufactured famicoms until 2003) games had stopped roughly a decade earlier

If you go by production of officially licensed new games it needs to take out the Neo Geo which Snk (or its successors) and third parties (sort of with the neo geo) delivered new games for 14 years  from 1990 until late 2004, though hardware manufacturing stopped in '97

If you require both then the reigning king is still the golden child, the atari 2600, having new games and consoles from 1977 all the way until 1990, 

So will the ps2 be able to see new games for 4 more years? will madden 2015 still hit the ps2?

will it be able to see manufacturing for the next 10 years?

I HAVE A DOUBLE DRAGON CAB IN MY KITCHEN!!!!!!

NOW A PUNISHER CAB!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Around the Network

I'd expect PS2 to last through next year at least, though I'm not sure if it'll last till 2014. I'd give it 25/75 odds against it.

If we're counting handheld consoles though, the DS is definitely gonna win easily by the time it dies.

“These are my principles; if you don’t like them, I have others.” – Groucho Marx

I believe that king is one of the Atari's...

And the SNES lasted longer than 10 years didn't it?

Also, PS2 will probably see its last sport series from EA and some other shovelware in 2011.

The Wii is gonna replace it on emering markets as the "best" cheap console.

Mr.Metralha said:

I believe that king is one of the Atari's...

And the SNES lasted longer than 10 years didn't it?

Also, PS2 will probably see its last sport series from EA and some other shovelware in 2011.

The Wii is gonna replace it on emering markets as the "best" cheap console.

I said the current king, depending on view

the nes saw consoles for 20 years, but games for only 12

the neogeo saw games for 14 years but consoles for only 7

and the atari 2600 saw and consoles for 13 years

Of the current batch , I am guessing PS3 barely edges out the Wii due to built in wifi blu ray playing netflix box potential.  that oh yeah can play madden in HD for the next 10 years from now.

Around the Network

I think it will last til they drop the ps3 down in price.... I think once that happens they will drop production of ps2..... But doing great... good job sony

BradyBunch80 said:

Of the current batch , I am guessing PS3 barely edges out the Wii due to built in wifi blu ray playing netflix box potential.  that oh yeah can play madden in HD for the next 10 years from now.

I don't think you understood the point, the question is will sony continue to manufacture and official license games for the ps2 for 4 more years and be supported with new hardware and software longer than the atari 2600, or will they retire it before? the wii and ps3 are inconsequencial in this respect.

but to your point usually the system that can be manufactured and distributed for the least money can grind on forever and that usually requires making very small hardware because keeping a console on shelves demand ones with very litte shelf space/shipping costs/ manufacture and up keep costs, every marathon span console eventually became tiny- 2600, nes,genesis, snes, ps1, sms, gameboy and ps2 all became very, very small, the only 2 that didn't were the intellivision, which survived because it weathered the crash and carved a distribution niche, and the neo geo, but it was a completely different beast compared to any other console

do you really think that the ps3 will ever get small enough and the power requirements will get low enough to be of comparable size to the ps2? no one is going to want a bulky low demand product on shelves, if the ps3 can't get very small, it can't stay on shelves.  remember retailers decide what stays on shelves, not manufacturers

FIFA Soccer 11 (Wii)
EA Sports
0.11 0.00 0.31 0.42
FIFA Soccer 11 (PS2)
EA Sports
0.06 0.00 0.35 0.41

This should answer your question.

its likely

Boutros said:
FIFA Soccer 11 (Wii)
EA Sports
0.11 0.00 0.31 0.42
FIFA Soccer 11 (PS2)
EA Sports
0.06 0.00 0.35 0.41

This should answer your question.

I didn't ask if EA terribly mismanaged their sports games on the wii, if I did I would have proposed they are kicking themselves right now for the idiocy with madden, I asked if the ps2 will see longer support than any other console, A more useful comparison would be the first 11 weeks of fifa10 ps2 to fifa11 ps2, which shows a substantial drop YoY, which had a substantial drop from 09,

looking at EA history they seem to drop major sports titles when sales hit about lower than 300k (looking at madden ds, madden xbox, Tiger woods ps2, nba live wii, NCAA ps2 and wii) so If Fifa has a drop to 12 as it did to 11 it probably won't make it as 13 will probably be the last release,

so obviously your answer is probably not,