By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - Kinect is the new Tickle Me Elmo

Kinect Bingo

Around the Network

Any idiot can write a post on the Internet and think it is a fact.

Here is a real post with real content.  Microsoft is making three types of games that involve Kinect.

1) Casual only Kinect games - These are the launch games to get people into Kinect.  The slogan "You are the controller" is the slogan that fits these people best and they don't play video games because the controller is too complicated for them.

2) Hardcore Kinect Only games - Games that are made for the hardcore to be innovative and only use Kinect as it's main way to Interact.  These are some of the games from Japan and a few western games as well

Some of these games are listed here:

Codename D
   Project Draco
   Haunt
   Rise of the Nightmares
   Steel Battalion: Heavy Armor

3) The third and last type of Kinect games are games that are hybrids which use both a 360 controller and Kinect in game.  This is going to be very popular.

An Example of this is using Forza Motorosport 4 using a controller to control the car in game and then using Kinect for head tracking while you sit on the sofa in the dark and then using your voice to change the music while you are racing.

So as you can see at launch Kinect really isn't for the core, but overall it will be used in many different ways and you may scoff at it now, but a year or two from now you will be sucking it down like the rest of us.

Official NPD November 2010 United States Sales Numbers

Source: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=415414

Hardware:

Nintendo DS: 1.5 Million (-11.8%)
Xbox 360: 1.37 Million ( 68%)
Wii: 1.27 Million ( 0.8%)

PS3: 530k (-25%)
New! PSP: 288K (-2%)
New! PS2: ~80K (-61%)

Edouble24 said:

That's because Kinect isn't a console, it's an add on made to appeal to casual players. The Wii sacraficed things the hardcore valued such as HD/good graphics, buttons, and accurate controls. If 360 owners don't want casual gaming they can continue playing the stuff they've loved for the past 5 years, and with 360 looking to have it's best lineup ever next year, Kinect support shouldn't bother anyone if the good games are still rolling in. 

What accuracy are you referring to?  Playing Metroid Prime with the Wii Remote was mighty impressive and accurate.  I bought COD WAW 2 (or whatever the one that came out last year is called) on 360 and was the biggest waste of money in the world.  Press a button and target just goes directly on your enemy.  I don't have to do anything but press a button which my 1 yr old son can do.  If what you mean by accuracy is the game does everything for me then I would rather not have that accuracy.

Biggest Pikmin Fan on VGChartz I was chosen by default due to voting irregularities

Super Smash Brawl Code 1762-4158-5677 Send me a message if you want to receive a beat down

Tickle me Elmo is not a fad!

Around the Network

Last night was our annual day for Christmas where my nieces and nephews come over and bake Christmas cookies. While they were over we put on Dance Central and had a blast for a few hours.  After they left we put in Halo Reach and me and my boys had a blast playing co-op for a couple of hours.

See this is all fun. Different kinds of fun, but fun nonetheless (not to mention Dance Central helped burn off some of the cookie sampling we did). Now with the 360 we get the best of both worlds.

Its libraries that sell systems not a single game.

Joke thread or not. I agree with it. This casual gaming era is destroying the market with trash games with no future. Kinect like stated is nothing mroe than a glorified over-priced eye toy. I don't believe the Wii is causing the destruction of the gaming world though. I believe that is more of the developers/publishers fault due to wanting to make quick and easy (also shitty) games.

I have seen Wii, Kinect, and even Move in action. I'm not going to lie at the current time i'm not a big fan of any of them due to them mainly catering an audience that is completely 180 degress opposite of me on the gaming spectrum line. Though out of ANY of them I see Move having the biggest potential due to the diverse line-up Sony will provide as well as the accuracy and precision of the product.

Wii is great for certain games don't get me wrong. Kinect is a cool "tech." Though the current line-up sucks a horses ass. The lag combined with the boring routines of already released re-hashed games (excluding dance central) isn't cutting it. Now the product is still in its infancy and people once stated the PS3 had shit software so maybe in time it will get better. I just don't see myself buying one unless there is an AMAZING killer app. I don't find doing repeated actions over and over fun, and I don't find getting my picture taken *cute*.

These casuals are eventually going to get over the fact that motion controls exist. Then they will leave or stop playing. As shown by the frequent buying Wii and shelfing it statement.

Unfortunately your whole argument falls apart as Kinect is a lot more capable than Tickle me Elmo and so can evolve. It will be the constantly evolving nature and the fun that Kinect generates that will mean that regardless of the number of words you put together on a page or however much you want Kinect to fail this will not come to pass.

I have kept my response to two sentences in order to demonstrate how futile your task was.

W.L.B.B. Member, Portsmouth Branch.

(Welsh(Folk) Living Beyond Borders)

Winner of the 2010 VGC Holiday sales prediction thread with an Average 1.6% accuracy rating. I am indeed awesome.

Kinect as seen by PS3 owners ...if you can pick at it   ...post it ... Did I mention the 360 was black and Shinny? Keeping Sigs obscure since 2007, Passed by the Sig police 5July10.
welshbloke said:

Unfortunately your whole argument falls apart as Kinect is a lot more capable than Tickle me Elmo and so can evolve. It will be the constantly evolving nature and the fun that Kinect generates that will mean that regardless of the number of words you put together on a page or however much you want Kinect to fail this will not come to pass.

I have kept my response to two sentences in order to demonstrate how futile your task was.

People are inclined to have their opinions. Just because you don't agree with it doesn't mean that others are genuinely putting the technology down over spite/hate. It isn't futile. It is a exceptionally well thought out arguement.

Very interesting OP and a compelling argument, I feel.

Would just point out that, if the rumour out today about Microsoft increasing the compression of data through Kinect such that it can actually sense fingers & wrists -as the E3 2009 propaganda (misleadingly) promised- is true, then it could potentially also allow for tracking of four players rather than just two (as the E3 2009 propaganda... well, you get the idea). But that's all just speculation on my part for now.

Certainly going to be interesting to see how Kinect performs throughout 2011. I have no idea how things will pan out lol.