By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - Kinect is the new Tickle Me Elmo

I know people that have Kinect. They are happy, but they tell me they want a library like the WIi (they're casuals). So, I told them they need to wait for new games.

I'm not sure if they will wait...

Proud to be the first cool Nintendo fan ever

Number ONE Zelda fan in the Universe

DKCTF didn't move consoles

Prediction: No Zelda HD for Wii U, quietly moved to the succesor

Predictions for Nintendo NX and Mobile

Around the Network

I remember people saying the samething about the Wii, in fact, we still do.

Next Gen 

11/20/09 04:25 makingmusic476 Warning Other (Your avatar is borderline NSFW. Please keep it for as long as possible.)

"Everyone likes to call the Wii a mere party machine that people only get out of the closet when friends are over, but how is Kinect any different?"

Not really, no.  Except there's a fully featured, current gen console that its attached to called the Xbox 360 that people will continue to play when the parties over and most of the Kinect games get put away.

But then I read the rest of your rant and your hopeless bias against Microsoft is hopeless.  Have a nice life.

RolStoppable said:

Nintendo kicked off the casual gaming boom with the Wii and Microsoft obviously wants to have their share of that cake. For that purpose they created a glorified Eyetoy (which they sell for a big markup, Kinect supposedly only costs $56 to produce) to attract the casual masses which are a threat to serious gaming, because "casual" means dumbed down gameplay, so that even grandma can play a game.

I'm disappointed in you, Rol.  I thought you knew better!  But your entire rant is filled with lies and inaccuracies.  Take this portion, for instance.  Here you state that "casual" means "dumbed down," that it means something bad.  But had you taken just a few seconds, you would have realized that some of the best things in life fall under the Casual category. 

For example, everyone who's ever gone to a formal occasion can tell you that the collared shirts, fancy suits, and worst of all the ties, make for an unhappy and uncomfortable experience.  Worse, mens' fashion is so constrained that it makes every guy look identical to one another.  By contrast, Casual Dress means everyone is free to be comfortable, happy, and expressive. 

And I think we can all agree that relationships can often be a drag, as the girl that started out all happy and eager to please quickly degenerates into a demanding shrew who cuts into your Call of Duty time.  But with a Casual Relationship, you get to enjoy all of the benefits of women, while still hanging out with your bros instead of wasting time watching reruns of Desperate Housewives.  And do I even need to point out that Casual Sex is the best kind of all?  I rest my case, your honor.

In short, "Casual" is our friend, not our foe.  I, for one, welcome our new Casual Gaming overlords.

RolStoppable said:

Everyone likes to call the Wii a mere party machine that people only get out of the closet when friends are over, but how is Kinect any different? The launch lineup is full of (crappy) minigames, because Kinect itself is too limited to support proper motion controlled hardcore games like the PS3 and Wii are capable of.

The disappointment continues.  You state this like it's a fact, and yet I worry that Kinect games might be TOO hardcore for our children.  Kinectimals is rated for children 4-8, but just look at what type of behavior it teaches!  And if Kinect wasn't suited for hardcore games, why are we seeing press releases like this?!  "Too limited to support proper motion controlled hardcore games" indeed!

RolStoppable said:

Third parties aren't really on board yet (talking about their big franchises)...

Harmonix made Dance Central exclusively for Kinect.  Considering how their other franchise, Rock Band, is selling like condoms at a D & D convention, I'd say Dance Central is very much their big franchise.

RolStoppable said:

Most people seem to be content with just Kinect Adventures and maybe Kinect Sports and show no interest in other software. What will happen when people lose interest in these games? Kinect will stop selling, of course.

You say people will stop buying Kinect once their bored of Kinect Adventures and Kinect Sports.  NPD figures prove you're wrong.

RolStoppable said:

Nintendo was accused of destroying the industry with the Wii, but Kinect takes it one step further. If it's going to be successful, it will destroy gaming altogether.

Let's look at the biggest selling games this generation. 

They are, in order, Wii Sports, Wii Play, Mario Kart Wii, Nintendogs, New Super Mario Bros., Wii Fit, Wii Sports Resort, Mario Kart DS, Brain Age, and New Super Mario Bros. Wii. 

More accurately they are, in order, Shit, Pure Shit, Tired Crap, Kiddy Shit, Rehash, Grandma Shit, Shit: The Sequel, Recycled Crap, WTF Is This Shit?, and Rehash Of A Two Year Old Rehash.

I'm all for destroying gaming.

RolStoppable said:

Kinect seems almost desperate, considering that the only reason it sells software at all is that it comes at a cheaper price than regular games.

This is a lie.

The $500 million marketing campaign played a big role too.

RolStoppable said:

Oh, and let's not forget Nintendo and the Wii. Just recently EA's CEO John Ricitiello said that Wii sales would explode at $99, so that system also has some good years left in it. And at that price it will absolutely destroy the 360.

Well of course a 360 would get destroyed by an exploding Wii.  But plugging it in already does that, so I for one am not impressed. 

More to the point, I'd like to point out that Kinect already supports more games than the Wii Motion Plus.  Yes, the same peripheral that you slobbered over a few paragraphs back gets less love from developers than Kinect.  I'd say that makes the latter a real fad, but you have to be popular once to be a fad.  So I guess the moral of the story is that you're just a bitter Wii fanboy who can't get over the fact that the stupid masses have tired of your preferred stupid gimmick and moved on to a new one.

I think this is a joke thread.

If its not though, well then that sounds eerily similar to what every analyst was saying about the Wii when it first came out as a big success.

But this is a joke thread right?

The definitive evidence that video games turn people into mass murderers

Around the Network

I'll be honest....your thread isn't as funny as some of your other ones.   Thats a ton of typing for a joke thread though, I would have lost patience after the first 2 paragraphs.

I just don't see how or why people want to support Kinect, at least not with its current games. I mean honestly, look at those games! Are people serious?

The main thing that irks me is Wii recieved all this undeserving criticising and hate (and still does for many people) despite building up a very respectable library, yet Kinect seems to actually DESERVE much of that same criticism yet does not recieve it from these people. The hypocracy just astounds me.

Wii gets titles like Mario Galaxy, NSMB, Donkey Kong Country, Mario Kart, SSBB, Metroid Prime Trilogy, Little King's Story, Zelda, Kirby, Goldeneye, Monster Hunter Tri, etc, and STILL gets unfair hate from people. Yet Kinect comes out with Your Shape, Joy Ride, and Kinectimals and gets a free pass from people, getting praised as the best thing since sliced bread. I just don't understand it.. I realize much of the praise is most likely from viral marketers trying to influence opinion, but it still gets to me.

LOL epic Thread.

Atto Suggests...:

Book - Malazan Book of the Fallen series 

Game - Metro Last Light

TV - Deadwood

Music - Forest Swords 

The success of Kinect is driving so many people to madness!

"...You can't kill ideas with a sword, and you can't sink belief structures with a broadside. You defeat them by making them change..."

- From By Schism Rent Asunder

psrock said:

I remember people saying the samething about the Wii, in fact, we still do.

Yeah, but this time these complaints are actually warranted..