By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Gamestop Offering Wii Rainchecks dec 20 and 21

just a fyi found this on IGN:

December 14, 2007 - In a conference call this morning, Nintendo's Reggie Fils-Aime revealed a plan to get Wii systems in the hands of frustrated consumers still unable to get ahold of the elusive system.

Fils-Aime revealed that the company has partnered with GameStop to distribute rain check certificates. Consumers can buy a certificate on December 20th and 21st for the full price of the Wii system, securing a system for pick-up in January.

The company partnered with GameStop because of GameStop's strength in pre-sell technology.

Fils-Aime followed up the announcement in a Q&A by revealing that supplies of this rain check will be "many tens of thousands." The system must be picked up in January at the store in which the certificate was purchased. According to Fils-Aime, the certificate is at least something to put under the tree this Christmas for those who can't acquire the system by normal retail means.

He also pleaded with consumers who are paying eBay premiums for Wii systems to "wait a little longer, more Wiis are on the way." This weekend six retailers including Target, Best Buy, and Circuit City will have mass Wii shipments for their newspaper advertising inserts.

Nintendo is unable to meet demand due to many factors. According to Fils-Aime, because the system utilizes many components from many different suppliers, if one is unable to up the supply, Nintendo is unable to up supply on the system.

"We will not know the extent of the Wii demand until we reach it," Fils-Aime said. "Having enough systems would make everyone, including me, happy."

Around the Network

http://youtube.com/watch?v=CG9-X3q5yis

Predictions:Sales of Wii Fit will surpass the combined sales of the Grand Theft Auto franchiseLifetime sales of Wii will surpass the combined sales of the entire Playstation family of consoles by 12/31/2015 Wii hardware sales will surpass the total hardware sales of the PS2 by 12/31/2010 Wii will have 50% marketshare or more by the end of 2008 (I was wrong!!  It was a little over 48% only)Wii will surpass 45 Million in lifetime sales by the end of 2008 (I was wrong!!  Nintendo Financials showed it fell slightly short of 45 million shipped by end of 2008)Wii will surpass 80 Million in lifetime sales by the end of 2009 (I was wrong!! Wii didn't even get to 70 Million)

Hmmm.. I wonder how VGChartz will count these systems. Will they be counted toward sales in December weeks or in January's?

Considering this is a Gamestop only thing I am not sure if ioi will be able to track this thing. However, considering Nintendo will have an obligation to supply these Wiis to the owners of the rainchecks in January 2008 it should be in their 3rd quarter report.

that's a pretty good strategy! pretty small impact if say it's in the 50k range, but good move nonetheless. definitely interesting. wonder how it works in Nintendo's bigger X'mas strategy.

the Wii is an epidemic.

Around the Network

The Wii would be sold out for a second Janurary in a row...insane.

There is no such thing as a console war. This is the first step to game design.

I knew the Wii would be hard to find this Christmas. I was thinking of picking up a couple of them in the summer and reselling it but I would of felt bad. Most likely I would of been caught up with the Christmas spirit and sold it to some nice family for cost. This kind of attitude is what makes me poor. I think I need to learn to walk all over the other person.