By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - The 360's weakness is now its strength

@ Darc Requiem

Hell people still call Gears of War a FPS. Which if thats the case, i guess Uncharted is an FPS too.

Gears is very similar to a FPS, changing Motorstorm from a 3rd view perspective to an incar view still keeps the game being a racing game at its core. In some FPS games you can actually change your point of view to a 3rd person view perspective, would this make a new gerne?

Uncharted is far more about platforming (climbing, jumping to edges, balancing, etc) with significant shooter elements dropped in, most similar game would be the Tomb Raider games.

Naughty Dog: "At Naughty Dog, we're pretty sure we should be able to see leaps between games on the PS3 that are even bigger than they were on the PS2."

PS3 vs 360 sales

Around the Network

MikeB - but your assuming that just because a genre of games eventually will give the PS3 parity.

It won't.

We saw time and time again last generation, when a given system built up a strong userbase of owners that enjoyed specific genres of games, they sold much better. Platformers sold better on the GC (mostly), Shooters on the Xbox, and everything else on the PS2.

The Xbox 360 is building a strong userbase (see this years sales in the US vs. every other year) for these type games. Because of this, when the PS3 has a somewhat decent userbase in the US, the games won't sell. Go look at the GTA series. By the time the games, although certainly oriented to the Xbox userbase, failed to sell on the Xbox as well (per the installed base) because GTA's userbase was vastly stronger on the PS2, because the series had been there longer, and better.

Each genre will be this way. The X360 has vastly more WRPGs on it than the PS3. Because of this, WRPGs will sell vastly better on the X360 vs. the PS3, regardless. Fallout, Deus Ex, and others will see much smaller sales, because the userbase won't be as developed on the PS3 as the X360, since games like Oblivion, Two Worlds, Mass Effect and such were there, were earlier, and helped build up a much stronger WRPG base than the PS3, or Wii.

Back from the dead, I'm afraid.

This was never a weakness. The whole point of coming out a year ahead was to develop this extensive library. Games sale systems and the 360 along with the Wii have the most by far compared to the PS3. I doubt the trend will slow down any time soon which is why I don't see the PS3 ever making this incredible come back.

MikeB said:
@ Darc Requiem

Hell people still call Gears of War a FPS. Which if thats the case, i guess Uncharted is an FPS too.

Gears is very similar to a FPS, changing Motorstorm from a 3rd view perspective to an incar view still keeps the game being a racing game at its core. In some FPS games you can actually change your point of view to a 3rd person view perspective, would this make a new gerne?

Uncharted is far more about platforming (climbing, jumping to edges, balancing, etc) with significant shooter elements dropped in, most similar game would be the Tomb Raider games.

Gears of War isn't an FPS though. Cut the semantics, you were wrong period. Just because MGS has a first person view does not make it an FPS. On my second playthrough of Mass Effect my character specialized in sniping. It spent a good deal of the game in a first person view via Sniper scope. That doesn't make Mass Effect a FPS, it is still an RPG. The line you quoted me on was a sarcastic quip meant to be ridiculous because its untrue. Uncharted is not an FPS, neither is Gears of War. That was the whole point of the statement.

It's clear from software vs hardware sold, that the PS3 is being bought as a Blu-Ray player by a large number of people these holidays and its also questionable if these renewed sales will last beyond the holidays where as we can be certain the 360 will slow but continue in strong continuation and the Wii in near Holiday-like sales for a month or two after as people run to make use of the gift certificates parents bought their children instead of the Wii at Gamestops and other retailers.

Around the Network

When speaking of demographics... Considering the attach rate of the Xbox 360, it certainly appears that an older crowd is appealed by it.
That is, people paying for games with their own money, compared to the Wii, where the userbase has to ask mom or dad for an extra allowance/christmas gift..Sad to see a AAA game like SMG sell so poorly because of that..

yes what your saying is true,if a wii owner wnats to play shooters and sport games the best console for that would be 360 thats why wii plus another console is the best 2 console combination ever

Eastwood said:
When speaking of demographics... Considering the attach rate of the Xbox 360, it certainly appears that an older crowd is appealed by it.
That is, people paying for games with their own money, compared to the Wii, where the userbase has to ask mom or dad for an extra allowance/christmas gift..Sad to see a AAA game like SMG sell so poorly because of that..

SMG isnt selling poorly

Darc Requiem said:

On my second playthrough of Mass Effect my character specialized in sniping. It spent a good deal of the game in a first person view via Sniper scope. 

Woah! That's freaking cool.  Sniping is my favorite part of shooter-type games.  Is there something special you had to do or just choose that skill at the beginning?  I haven't picked up Mass Effect yet but fully intend to.  This seals the deal...

I hate trolls.

Systems I currently own:  360, PS3, Wii, DS Lite (2)
Systems I've owned: PS2, PS1, Dreamcast, Saturn, 3DO, Genesis, Gamecube, N64, SNES, NES, GBA, GB, C64, Amiga, Atari 2600 and 5200, Sega Game Gear, Vectrex, Intellivision, Pong.  Yes, Pong.

Darc Requiem said:
MikeB said:
@ Darc Requiem

Gears of War isn't an FPS though. Cut the semantics, you were wrong period. Just because MGS has a first person view does not make it an FPS. On my second playthrough of Mass Effect my character specialized in sniping. It spent a good deal of the game in a first person view via Sniper scope. That doesn't make Mass Effect a FPS, it is still an RPG. The line you quoted me on was a sarcastic quip meant to be ridiculous because its untrue. Uncharted is not an FPS, neither is Gears of War. That was the whole point of the statement.

I don't think I called Gears a FPS in this thread, but IMO the game appeals to FPS fans for sure. It the game has a lot in common with a FPS apart from viewpoint, Uncharted differs far more.

Would you agree Warhawk is a shooter similar to a FPS, appealing to a similar user base with online multiplayer shooting? I agree it's different from the traditional shooters as you can fly up high in the sky and participate in dogfights as well as fight on the ground.

Naughty Dog: "At Naughty Dog, we're pretty sure we should be able to see leaps between games on the PS3 that are even bigger than they were on the PS2."

PS3 vs 360 sales