By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Gran Turismo 5 Inside Sims Racing Review - Part 1.

Based on that review

Pros: Best physics and force feedback in any console racer (maybe even pc sim), huge amount of things to do and unlock, great sound effects for collisions between cars, best graphics around, great menu's

Cons: Horrible damage (should be fixed with patches), bad engine sounds, crappy course maker, can get repetitive due to being forced to unlock everything, shaky multiplayer, bad songs (can be fixed by deleting and uploading own songs), Logitechs wheels have huge deadzone and very touchy breaks and lack of configurability, bad AI, vast majority of cars are standard cars (they would prefer to have only 500 premium cars than only have 200 plus with 800 plus standard cars, this may be fixed with the supposed update coming for standard cars), lack of car customization (livery editor)

Since car handling and physics are the most important thing to a sim racer and a lot of the cons are supposed to be fixed through updates I can see GT5 scoring very high. It's going to be very interesting to see whether they give Forza 3 or GT5 the higher score. I'm thinking GT5 is going to slightly edge out Forza 3 and when Forza 4 comes out it may slightly edge out GT5. The two developers are probably going to keep one upping each other with each new game. Its pretty exciting how there are two great developers out there that push each other to make great sim racers.

The definitive evidence that video games turn people into mass murderers

Around the Network
Mendicate Bias said:

Based on that review

Pros: Best physics and force feedback in any console racer (maybe even pc sim), huge amount of things to do and unlock, great sound effects for collisions between cars, best graphics around, great menu's

Cons: Horrible damage (should be fixed with patches), bad engine sounds, crappy course maker, can get repetitive due to being forced to unlock everything, shaky multiplayer, bad songs (can be fixed by deleting and uploading own songs), Logitechs wheels have huge deadzone and very touchy breaks and lack of configurability, bad AI, vast majority of cars are standard cars (they would prefer to have only 500 premium cars than only have 200 plus with 800 plus standard cars, this may be fixed with the supposed update coming for standard cars), lack of car customization (livery editor)

Since car handling and physics are the most important thing to a sim racer and a lot of the cons are supposed to be fixed through updates I can see GT5 scoring very high. It's going to be very interesting to see whether they give Forza 3 or GT5 the higher score. I'm thinking GT5 is going to slightly edge out Forza 3 and when Forza 4 comes out it may slightly edge out GT5. The two developers are probably going to keep one upping each other with each new game. Its pretty exciting how there are two great developers out there that push each other to make great sim racers.

And this is the advantage of having two great developers pushing out great games in the same genre. GT5 wouldn't have had the same amount of features if it wasn't for Forza 3 nor would T10 try to outdo the improvements made on GT5 with Forza 4. 

It's a win-win situation for us gamers.

Current PC Build

CPU - i7 8700K 3.7 GHz (4.7 GHz turbo) 6 cores OC'd to 5.2 GHz with Watercooling (Hydro Series H110i) | MB - Gigabyte Z370 HD3P ATX | Gigabyte GTX 1080ti Gaming OC BLACK 11G (1657 MHz Boost Core / 11010 MHz Memory) | RAM - Corsair DIMM 32GB DDR4, 2400 MHz | PSU - Corsair CX650M (80+ Bronze) 650W | Audio - Asus Essence STX II 7.1 | Monitor - Samsung U28E590D 4K UHD, Freesync, 1 ms, 60 Hz, 28"

Mummelmann said:
lestatdark said:
DonFerrari said:
lestatdark said:
DonFerrari said:

I'm guilty of both... altough I still love action/plataformer and fighting games =] we must mix everything a little...

Even I get a little dozzled after 40h playing GT5 in a weekend.

Damn that's a huge gaming session xD. I'm lucky if I get enough time to play more than 4 hours a day  

During the week i can't play because i work in a lot of other cities and always traveling... but this weekend my GF were kind enough and let me play a lot as were my debuting day with my lovely GT5 =]

I would be a happy man if i could play 4h a day during week.

EDIT: And i have a major complain to Kaz... why every new GT he make the challenges even more challenging?? I'm getting nervous into getting gold in the test course passing those shitty Kombis (Volks Type 2)

Don't worry, that event isn't very difficult to get a gold. The A.I cars brake a lot on Chicago and Hammerhead corners, and you can brake early into Bacharach because they always go wide. 

The real test in the Top Gear events is the Intermediate event...A lotus Elise 111R on Comfort Hard tyres is an abomination to steer.

I simply cannot finish that Elise challenge! Raaaaaaaage! Its slides all over the place like a bar of soap on a mirror.

Try setting the Brake Bias to 9 at the front and 1 at the back. Helped me a lot to keep the Elise stable during braking and path correction during the corners.

Current PC Build

CPU - i7 8700K 3.7 GHz (4.7 GHz turbo) 6 cores OC'd to 5.2 GHz with Watercooling (Hydro Series H110i) | MB - Gigabyte Z370 HD3P ATX | Gigabyte GTX 1080ti Gaming OC BLACK 11G (1657 MHz Boost Core / 11010 MHz Memory) | RAM - Corsair DIMM 32GB DDR4, 2400 MHz | PSU - Corsair CX650M (80+ Bronze) 650W | Audio - Asus Essence STX II 7.1 | Monitor - Samsung U28E590D 4K UHD, Freesync, 1 ms, 60 Hz, 28"

goforgold said:

and what I find funny is how they praise things most reviews bashed.

the menus for example, straight forward, no confusion everything at all, yet almost every other reviewer "but but teh menus are too complicated, bad menus blah blah blah"

even the crash sounds.

they could give this game a 6/10 and will agree whole heartedly

this will be 1 in the 1% of GT5 reviews that will be actually creditable in my opinion.  

next part they said will be out sometime next year, wow 

That's because they are racing with a Buttkicker. Most people without a Buttkicker thinks the "thud" isn't realisitc yet if you have a Buttkicker you''ll know this was done by design.  That was one area I like aboujt Fm3 over Gt5P was Fm3 had better "Buttkicking" effects. Now Gt5 top Fm3 as I can even feel the tires hitting the road splits in SSR5.

More likely some reviewers doesn't know or have a Buttkicker. I serious recommend it as to me it's worth the price.  I like using the Buttkicker in other games as well like Unchart 2.

If you want to truly enoy this game, turn traction control off. It becomes much more lively and challenging.

Around the Network
Username2324 said:

If you want to truly enoy this game, turn traction control off. It becomes much more lively and challenging.

Quite true. I play with all assists off, expect for the occasional use of ABS at 1, due to the brake-lock problem on the DFGT, G25 and G27 wheels (I have a DFGT myself).

When you have a Class C car or the Formula GT car without TCS turned on....races become quite interesting, to say the least XD.

Current PC Build

lestatdark said:
Mummelmann said:
lestatdark said:
DonFerrari said:
lestatdark said:
DonFerrari said:

I'm guilty of both... altough I still love action/plataformer and fighting games =] we must mix everything a little...

Even I get a little dozzled after 40h playing GT5 in a weekend.

Damn that's a huge gaming session xD. I'm lucky if I get enough time to play more than 4 hours a day  

During the week i can't play because i work in a lot of other cities and always traveling... but this weekend my GF were kind enough and let me play a lot as were my debuting day with my lovely GT5 =]

I would be a happy man if i could play 4h a day during week.

EDIT: And i have a major complain to Kaz... why every new GT he make the challenges even more challenging?? I'm getting nervous into getting gold in the test course passing those shitty Kombis (Volks Type 2)

Don't worry, that event isn't very difficult to get a gold. The A.I cars brake a lot on Chicago and Hammerhead corners, and you can brake early into Bacharach because they always go wide. 

The real test in the Top Gear events is the Intermediate event...A lotus Elise 111R on Comfort Hard tyres is an abomination to steer.

I simply cannot finish that Elise challenge! Raaaaaaaage! Its slides all over the place like a bar of soap on a mirror.

Try setting the Brake Bias to 9 at the front and 1 at the back. Helped me a lot to keep the Elise stable during braking and path correction during the corners.

Will do! The problem arises when braking into and accelerating out of corners, after all! Outrunning the competition seems like a piece of cake since they drive like a nanny but sliding all over and colliding with them when you skid out is really draining my patience...

I have been waiting for the ISR review and not suprised they enjoyed it. The "Sim" aspect of GT5 seems pretty solid minus a few obvious issues damage I guess being the one they focused on the most. This is actually a good turn around as they did not rate the Prolouge version so favourably so does demonstrate that their is a lot under the hood.

The comment pointed out by the OP with regards to time spent reviewing is not relevant. The gaming press are reviewing on a different set of parameters and what they are looking for are not the same as a Sim Racer. This is actually why I am suprised that the GT series does so well because it is not so much a game in the true sense. It also does not cater for the true arcade racer in the same way as say FM3 does and is definately more hard core. If I were a serious GT fan it would be reviews such as the ISR review I would turn too and not IGN for example.

W.L.B.B. Member, Portsmouth Branch.

(Welsh(Folk) Living Beyond Borders)

Winner of the 2010 VGC Holiday sales prediction thread with an Average 1.6% accuracy rating. I am indeed awesome.

Kinect as seen by PS3 owners ...if you can pick at it   ...post it ... Did I mention the 360 was black and Shinny? Keeping Sigs obscure since 2007, Passed by the Sig police 5July10.
makingmusic476 said:

I appreciate this review.  Plenty of the other reviews I've seen did one of the following:

• Pointed out that the game is a top of the line simulator, then penalized the game significantly for other, minor faults (GUI issues).
  • Completely ignored numerous features that set the game apart from other racing sims (gifting/trading/sharing cars with friends, b-spec mode, kart racing, rally, NASCAR, day/night cycles, etc.), while focusing on the game's minor faults (*clunky* online - entirely a GUI related issue).
  • Claimed the game is excellent, but knocked its scores since we all knew it was going to be excellent beforehand.

Complaining about the online mode gets me the most.  I've seen people malign the game for not having things like matchmaking, when its possible for people to prefer making their own lobbies (PC gaming community says hello).  And usually they only comment on the GUI issues of the online mode, while ignoring the wealth of community features to be found in the game, like gifting/sharing cars and making online photo albums.

Some examples of reviews (imo) not giving the game a fair shake:

Joystiq - 80

If you're one of those car nuts I mentioned earlier, here's your game. Have fun, we'll see you in a year when you finally leave the house. If you're not in that group -- you like, even love racing games, but care less about tuning and more about the thrill of the race -- GT5 is like walking in on a group of physicists discussing string theory and asking who wants to go toss around a ball for a bit. You're looking to have fun; they're only interested in studying the math behind how it bounces.

What'd you expect from a racing simulator?  This isn't Burnout.

GamePlanet - 80

The game is a triumph for pure racing aficionados, and is without doubt the best racing simulator available on the PS3. The only real disappointment is that we knew it would be, and hoped that the wealth of new features long touted by Polyphony would be produced with the same level of dedication and perfection shown in the heart of the game.

So it's disappointing that we knew it'd be this good?

absolutely brilliant summary of how I feel about the reviews of this game. spot on.