By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Sandbox Games are the most BORING and OVERRATED things in gaming

I thought Assassins Creed was pretty amazing. What other game lets you use a strategy and pull off amazing stealth assassinations? That thing never gets old. There will always be a bit of repetitiveness in sandbox games, unless its GTA 4, where there's a lot of repetition and you have to do the same thing for 30 hours just to complete it.

Around the Network

inFAMOUS,Bully and The Godfather are all very fun sand box games,it all comes down to preference really because you could say the same thing about linear games like Uncharted.

trasharmdsister12 said:

I agree with you to an extent. IMO, open world games are boring if there's no sense of character progression or introduction of new gameplay mechanics while you play and advance in the world.

Let's take Infamous and GTA IV as an example. IMO Infamous is less boring as an open world game as your character gains new abilities that change up the gameplay quite a bit. Everything from navigating the world to combat change a fair bit as you go through the game. Sure the things you are told to do remain pretty much the same (go there and clear the bad guys) but how you go about it changes quite a bit. In GTA IV you've got driving and you've got guns... things get really stale. Everything ends up being "Go here. Kill these guys... go to the next story marker for the mission" and the way you kill guys is pretty much always a gun fight where you hide behind cover and shoot when you're clear. New weapons help to an extent but it gets boring a lot quicker.

All the games you listed above with the exceptions of  Infamous and AC tend to suffer from what I described above. After some time even Infamous and AC peak in terms of character depth and get boring quick after they do.

This is why I think Oblivion won me over so much. It's an open world game with a buttload of character depth and play styles. It's also why I think GTA: SA is the best of the GTA series. Your character is ever changing as you play the game (weapon, vehicle skills, physical attributes based on eating, working out, riding bike) and your character takes to your play style. Owning property and doing side stuff for them to benefit you also gives you a sense of developing your character and his surroundings.

yea AC2 and infamous were less boring of the bunch .but got boring later on.

I think i get tired of seeing the same environmet over and over again.missions are simillar and boring.nothing heart pumbing like the combat in bayonetta,vanquish or epicness in  god of war or story like heavy rain where you feel you know the character and care for them.

but i agree character progression makes it more tolorable but still i don't care for the world i am put in.no connection to the protagonist.ect...

non-gravity said:

I agree that Mafia II and Farcry 2 are horrible sandbox games. Other sandboxes are Jak II, Burnout Paradise, Oblivion, Fallout.

Assassin's Creed 1 and 2 I just don't like, but that doesn't have to do with the sandbox.

The sandbox games Rockstar Games makes are great though and so is Infamous. The first two Harry Potter games were great and so is Batman Arkham Asylum.

I don't really the "sandbox game" is easy to define as there are many different genres using sandboxes and I can't imagine you hate all of them.

It's like RPG elements that weave through all genres.

Maybe you just don't like Rockstar's games

oh no far cry 2 was THE WORST GAME i have played by milesss.much worse than gta.

u  r right I do love burnout paradise .heart pumping action throug out the city.take down FTMW :D

The only open world games that I've fully enjoyed and played to completion are Assassins Creed 1 & 2 and Infamous. Eveyrthing else got boring really fast. Red Dead lasted 3 hours, GTA4 lasted 42 minutes, Just Cause 2 lasted 8 hours and Far Cry 2 only lasted 2 hours. The progression in most sandbox games is horrible and the game play never matches up to the glorious worlds they create. Infamous and Assassins Creed 2 fix those problems.

Bet with Conegamer and AussieGecko that the PS3 will have more exclusives in 2011 than the Wii or 360... or something.

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=3879752

Around the Network
Doobie_wop said:

The only open world games that I've fully enjoyed and played to completion are Assassins Creed 1 & 2 and Infamous. Eveyrthing else got boring really fast. Red Dead lasted 3 hours, GTA4 lasted 42 minutes, Just Cause 2 lasted 8 hours and Far Cry 2 only lasted 2 hours. The progression in most sandbox games is horrible and the game play never matches up to the glorious worlds they create. Infamous and Assassins Creed 2 fix those problems.

exactly,,,,they create a beautiful world and they forget about the gameplay.

even compare the hack and slash in AC2 to likes of ninja gaiden and bayonetta or even dante's inferno and you see how basic , simple and stiff the fighting mechnism is in AC2.

You are forgetting Burnout Paradise - i coudln't belive how they changed funny enjoyable racer from PS2 times i played on my friends console into pointless driving sandbox.

Also Oblivion and Fallout 3 - those are some of worst offenders here.

So no there's nothing wrong with you there's plenty of people who like story driver games instead of pointless wandering around virtual worlds.

PROUD MEMBER OF THE PSP RPG FAN CLUB

Beuli2 said:
darthdevidem01 said:

Play GTA San Andreas

That is all.

I find the GTA games good to fool around, running away from the cops, killikg people and stealing cars, but aside of that it is pretty boring.

Yeah, I had a similar problem with Mario games. I liked the running and the jumping but aside of that it is pretty boring.

Zlejedi said:

You are forgetting Burnout Paradise - i coudln't belive how they changed funny enjoyable racer from PS2 times i played on my friends console into pointless driving sandbox.

Also Oblivion and Fallout 3 - those are some of worst offenders here.

So no there's nothing wrong with you there's plenty of people who like story driver games instead of pointless wandering around virtual worlds.

i m guessing you haven;t played far cry 2??

it is the worst game .go from point a to b kill everything  go back to a .rinse and repeat not a single mission is different.and nothing ever happens.

GTAIV, Red Dead, inFAMOUS...

Nothing boring for me... waiting inFAMOUS 2.