By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - November NPD actually good for Sony.

The PS2 is still performing very strong for the US and Europe, combine PS2 and PS3 sales and Sony still leads global home console sales. Also according to a recent study by far most gamers still play their games on a PS2 in the US compared to other systems (by far the strongest XBox and XBox 360 market).

Naughty Dog: "At Naughty Dog, we're pretty sure we should be able to see leaps between games on the PS3 that are even bigger than they were on the PS2."

PS3 vs 360 sales

Around the Network
MikeB said:
The PS2 is still performing very strong for the US and Europe, combine PS2 and PS3 sales and Sony still leads global home console sales. Also according to a recent study by far most gamers still play their games on a PS2 in the US compared to other systems (by far the strongest XBox and XBox 360 market).

So playstation is like one of thsoe combining tranformers, weak seperately but combined they become strong? : P

Predictions:Sales of Wii Fit will surpass the combined sales of the Grand Theft Auto franchiseLifetime sales of Wii will surpass the combined sales of the entire Playstation family of consoles by 12/31/2015 Wii hardware sales will surpass the total hardware sales of the PS2 by 12/31/2010 Wii will have 50% marketshare or more by the end of 2008 (I was wrong!!  It was a little over 48% only)Wii will surpass 45 Million in lifetime sales by the end of 2008 (I was wrong!!  Nintendo Financials showed it fell slightly short of 45 million shipped by end of 2008)Wii will surpass 80 Million in lifetime sales by the end of 2009 (I was wrong!! Wii didn't even get to 70 Million)

FishyJoe said:
Not so good for the exclusives.

PS3 UNCHARTED: DRAKE'S FORTUNE (T) 117K
PS3 RATCHET & CLANK FUTURE (T) 66K

I don't have the time to run the numbers, but what is the attach rate vs some of the other games out?  The low numbers might actually be higher ratios because of the nearly half install base right now.  If that were the case, the question would be, what are the other console owners buying?

It seems the mods need help with this forum.  I have zero tolerance for trolling, platform criticism (Rule 4), and poster bad-mouthing (Rule 3.4) and you will be reported.

Review before posting: http://vgchartz.com/forum/rules.php

RolStoppable said:
misteromar mk4 said:
I never thought I would see tha day when sony fanboys considered being out sold by nintendo 2:1, as sony are doing well.

You should have seen the comment about the PSP being outsold by the DS in the UK by 10:1 is not losing, because the PSP is the first handheld to actually take away significant marketshare from Nintendo in the portable market. Therefore the PSP is successful.

You are right with this, for year it was litterally just Nintendo. Since Game Gear's demise that is. We've had a few things try (N-Gage, Neo Geo, Gizmondo) but generally in the UK nothing has competed.

PSP though, while not in the same leagues as DS, has done fantastically.

Hmm, pie.

Avinash_Tyagi said:
MikeB said:

So playstation is like one of thsoe combining tranformers, weak seperately but combined they become strong? : P

Neither the PS2 nor PS3 really perform weak, IMO they both sell well considering the time of their lifecycle, the PS2 has to deal with market saturation but has the advantage of price and a solid games library, people buying a PS3 may give the PS2 to kids, the PS3 has to deal with getting its games library up to spec due to intially longer development times as advancing the legacy game engines up to spec due to the huge gap between the PS2 and PS3 technically which also resulted into a more expensive console which needs to be cost reduced over time to hit mass market (for example Slimline version).

I was talking about Sony as a home console making company though, this means PS2 + PS3.

Naughty Dog: "At Naughty Dog, we're pretty sure we should be able to see leaps between games on the PS3 that are even bigger than they were on the PS2."

PS3 vs 360 sales

Around the Network
CrazzyMan said:
@TWRoO:

So, according to you, with:

PlayStation 3 Blu-Ray Games

Afrika - Rhino Studios
The Agency - Sony Online Entertainment
Big Time Revenge - Anygame Company
Bipedal Movement Simulation - Artdink
Brave Arms - Cellius
Buzz Quiz TV - Relentless Software
Chain Limit - Cellius
Coded Arms Assault - Konami
Digimon World Online - Namco Bandai
Disgaea 3 - Nippon Ichi
DC Universe - Sony Online Entertainment
Driver - Reflections Interactive
Eight Days - Sony Computer Entertainment London
Hot Shots Golf 5 - Clap Hanz/Sony Computer Entertainment International
Eyedentify - Sony Computer Entertainment Japan
Final Fantasy XIII - Square Enix (Maybe 2009)
Free Realms - Sony Online Entertainment
The Getaway 3 - Sony Computer Entertainment London
God of War 3 - Sony Computer Entertainment Santa Monica Studio (Maybe 2009)
Gran Turismo 5 Prologue - Polyphony Digital Entertainment (Maybe 2007)
Gran Turismo 5 - Polyphony Digital Entertainment
Haze - Free Radical Design (Maybe 07, hasn't been delayed... yet)
Heavy Rain - Quantic Dream
Infamous - Sucker Punch Studios
Killzone 2 - Guerilla Games
LittleBigPlanet - Media Molecule
Metal Gear Online - Kojima Productions
Metal Gear Solid 4: Guns of the Patriots - Kojima Productions
MotorStorm 2 - Evolution studio
Naruto: PS3 project - CyberConnect2
Resistance: Fall of Man 2 - Insomniac
Singstar - Sony Computer Entertainment London
Socom: Confrontation - Slant Six Games
Tekken 6 - Namco Bandai
Valkyrie The Battlefield - Sega
Wardevil (Maybe 09) - Digi-Guys
White Knight Story - Level5
Yakuza 3 - Sega

PlayStation Network Titles:

Echochrome
Wipeout HD
Dark Mist
More Eyetoy Games

Multiplatform Games with XBOX 360:

Ace Combat 6
Beautiful Katamari
Devil may Cry 4
Dynasty Warriors 6
Eternal Sonata
Grand Theft Auto 4
Silent Hill V
The Last Remnant

PS3 will sell as much as x360 DID in 2007?

And wii is NOT a HD console, why you at all mention it? Wii is in different league, people who want a HD experience DON`T BUY Wii.

And yes, a expect PS3 to sell around 15-20 mln. by the 31th March 2009 with ALL these games coming.
Though, we don`t even know yet what impact in sales did demo of GT5 in Japan. =)

What in God's name? I was asking you to clarify what exactly you meant by this doubling nonsense and you list me games? You really do live up to your name. Look. When you say sales double do you mean in the sense that it sells the same for 2 years running [thus doubling LTD] or do you mean the second [full] fiscal year should be double the first?

MikeB said:

So if you combine wii and ds sales, Nintendo is totaly dominating the video games market.

-UBISOFT BOYCOTT!-

OK. Last week I went to Best Buy and they had 0 Wii's, 4 360's, and a huge floor display of PS3's built into a fortress, square with a tent on top. Inside the square they had a gaming chair, Hi-Def TV and motorstorm display.

Why the PS3 display? Several reasons. They CHARGE Sony for it. And even if they didn't it was the only console that they could build a display out of as it was the only console not selling.

Well, I did see one sell, a 40 gig. And the person buying it was buying PS2 bargain games to go with it. I walked over to tell him they would not play on the PS3, but he and his wife were bickering.

So only PS3's instock, and the one guy who bought one will be frustrated when he opens his software and realizes it won't play.

Yeah, Sony's gonna mop up the floor with the competition this year.

BAM! There it is!

Wii Code 3456 7941 4060 2924
COD MW Reflex 541192229709

@TWRoO:

Ok, i will explain this in simple way:

PSone:
Sony Mar-1996 - 4.26 mln.
Sony Mar-1997 - 13.50 mln.
Sony Mar-1998 - 32.82 mln.
Sony Mar-1999 - 54.42 mln.

PS2:
Sony Mar-2001 - 10.61 mln.
Sony Mar-2002 - 28.68 mln.
Sony Mar-2003 - 51.20 mln.

NOW, do you see any "regularity, pattern, rule, appropriateness" in sales of these 2 consoles?
What conclusion you can make form sales of these two consoles?
HINT: Both consoles sold over 100 mln.

Every 5 seconds on earth one child dies from hunger...

2009.04.30 - PS3 will OUTSELL x360 atleast by the middle of 2010. Japan+Europe > NA.

Gran Turismo 3 - 1,06 mln. in 3 weeks with around 4 mln. PS2 on the launch.
Gran Turismo 4 - 1,16 mln. with 18 mln. PS2 on the launch.

Final Fantasy X - around 2 mln. with 5 mln. PS2 on the launch.
Final Fantasy X-2 - 2.4 mln. with 12 mln. PS2 on the launch.

1.8 mln. PS3 today(2008.01.17) in Japan. Now(2009.04.30) 3.16 mln. PS3 were sold in Japan.
PS3 will reach 4 mln. in Japan by the end of 2009 with average weekly sales 25k.

PS3 may reach 5 mln. in Japan by the end of 2009 with average weekly sales 50k.
PS2 2001 vs PS3 2008 sales numbers =) + New games released in Japan by 2009 that passed 100k so far

CrazzyMan said:
@TWRoO:

Ok, i will explain this in simple way:

PSone:
Sony Mar-1996 - 4.26 mln.
Sony Mar-1997 - 13.50 mln.
Sony Mar-1998 - 32.82 mln.
Sony Mar-1999 - 54.42 mln.

PS2:
Sony Mar-2001 - 10.61 mln.
Sony Mar-2002 - 28.68 mln.
Sony Mar-2003 - 51.20 mln.

NOW, do you see any "regularity, pattern, rule, appropriateness" in sales of these 2 consoles?
What conclusion you can make form sales of these two consoles?
HINT: Both consoles sold over 100 mln.

The Playstation was the first console by a company with no prior gaming experience, people didn't know what to expect so sales started off slow. When Sony started to prove itself, stole exclusives away from Nintendo, and Nintendo and Sega completed their self destructive paths, the Playstation's sales started to pick up.

The PS2 started out slow because it launched in March of 2000 IN JAPAN ONLY, and then launched in November/December 2001 in the rest of the world to MASSIVE SHORTAGES. In 12 months in Japan only, with 4 months of supreme shortages in the rest of the world the PS2 has outsold the PS3; this is even though the PS2 had no good game releases in that time, and the PS3 has already seen several price reductions.

As with EVERY prediction you have made, you will be disapointed with predicting any sales increase

Edit:

Simply look at the following charts and see how poorly the PS3 is performing compared to the PS2

http://vgchartz.com/hwlaunch.php?cons1=PS2&reg1=Japan&cons2=PS3&reg2=Japan&cons3=PS3&reg3=Japan&weeks=156

http://vgchartz.com/hwlaunch.php?cons1=PS2&reg1=America&cons2=PS3&reg2=America&cons3=PS3&reg3=America&weeks=156

http://vgchartz.com/hwlaunch.php?cons1=PS2&reg1=Total+Other&cons2=PS3&reg2=Total+Other&cons3=PS3&reg3=Total+Other&weeks=156

Soon enough the PS3 will be 5 Million behind the PS2 in every region as compared to where the PS2 was at a similar point in its life.