By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - November NPD actually good for Sony.

I wonder if 3rd party companies will take the flop of exclusives but the flourishing of multi-platform as an indication that the reason the multi-platform games sell i because the 360 people hype them up to where the PS3 people also need to get them. It's hard to build up hype if you don't know many other people with PS3s... cause noone cares about games they can't get.

Around the Network
CrazzyMan said:
@Kasz216:
But it`s a FACT, PS3 will outsell PS2 in Europe. Then again PS2 will outsell ps3.
Your list of games? Another price cut? These things may help, but the PS3 will nowhere come close to match the sales of the PS2. Even with another price drop the system will still be too expensive for most people and let's not forget that the PS2 was supply constrained during its whole first year on the market, unlike the PS3.
HOW DO YOU KNOW THAT???

PS2 cost 300$ till May 14, 2002.
By the March 2002 Sony shipped - 28.68 mln.
So only 100$ difference.
WHAT MAKES YOU THINK, THAT SONY WON`T SELL ANOTHER 20 MLN. BY MARCH 2009 ?
Only 100$, are you JOKING? =))

I have no clue what you are talking about... or why it's being directed at me. It's a fact PS3 will outsell PS2 in europe and that PS2 will outsell PS3? Wha? Regardless, even if they in the coming year outsellf 360 's numbers this year they have the problem that 360 will be selling that year as well. That's the bitch of a headstart. 360's sales should keep increaseing, even if they increase at a slower pace then PS3 they may win just because they'll have quite a few million in the bank due to the head start they got, and the further headstart Sony is giving them if price really is the PS3's only issue.

MikeB said:
misteromar mk4 said:
MikeB said:
The PS2 is still performing very strong for the US and Europe, combine PS2 and PS3 sales and Sony still leads global home console sales. Also according to a recent study by far most gamers still play their games on a PS2 in the US compared to other systems (by far the strongest XBox and XBox 360 market).

So if you combine wii and ds sales, Nintendo is totaly dominating the video games market

Nintendo has entirely dominated the handheld console market for nearly 2 decades, but this has changed a lot since the release of the PSP and to a lesser extend capable smartphones / PDAs. I consider home consoles to be very different though, that's why both Nintendo and Sony both offer handheld gaming solutions next to their home consoles, they serve very different pratical purposes.

So DS selling faster than GBA and controlling almost 70% of the market is somehow not dominating the market?

Predictions:Sales of Wii Fit will surpass the combined sales of the Grand Theft Auto franchiseLifetime sales of Wii will surpass the combined sales of the entire Playstation family of consoles by 12/31/2015 Wii hardware sales will surpass the total hardware sales of the PS2 by 12/31/2010 Wii will have 50% marketshare or more by the end of 2008 (I was wrong!!  It was a little over 48% only)Wii will surpass 45 Million in lifetime sales by the end of 2008 (I was wrong!!  Nintendo Financials showed it fell slightly short of 45 million shipped by end of 2008)Wii will surpass 80 Million in lifetime sales by the end of 2009 (I was wrong!! Wii didn't even get to 70 Million)

@Kasz216, ups, my mistake.

Just add 20 mln. ps3 and 10 mln. of x360 by march 2009.
That will be 28 mln. ps3 vs 25 mln. x360.
Next year, 51 mln. ps3 vs 30 mln. x360.

2008 will show the winner.
PS3 will get almost all it`s BIG guns. Nothing will stop it.

Every 5 seconds on earth one child dies from hunger...

2009.04.30 - PS3 will OUTSELL x360 atleast by the middle of 2010. Japan+Europe > NA.

Gran Turismo 3 - 1,06 mln. in 3 weeks with around 4 mln. PS2 on the launch.
Gran Turismo 4 - 1,16 mln. with 18 mln. PS2 on the launch.

Final Fantasy X - around 2 mln. with 5 mln. PS2 on the launch.
Final Fantasy X-2 - 2.4 mln. with 12 mln. PS2 on the launch.

1.8 mln. PS3 today(2008.01.17) in Japan. Now(2009.04.30) 3.16 mln. PS3 were sold in Japan.
PS3 will reach 4 mln. in Japan by the end of 2009 with average weekly sales 25k.

PS3 may reach 5 mln. in Japan by the end of 2009 with average weekly sales 50k.
PS2 2001 vs PS3 2008 sales numbers =) + New games released in Japan by 2009 that passed 100k so far

Avinash_Tyagi said:
MikeB said:
misteromar mk4 said:
MikeB said:
The PS2 is still performing very strong for the US and Europe, combine PS2 and PS3 sales and Sony still leads global home console sales. Also according to a recent study by far most gamers still play their games on a PS2 in the US compared to other systems (by far the strongest XBox and XBox 360 market).

So if you combine wii and ds sales, Nintendo is totaly dominating the video games market

Nintendo has entirely dominated the handheld console market for nearly 2 decades, but this has changed a lot since the release of the PSP and to a lesser extend capable smartphones / PDAs. I consider home consoles to be very different though, that's why both Nintendo and Sony both offer handheld gaming solutions next to their home consoles, they serve very different pratical purposes.

So DS selling faster than GBA and controlling almost 70% of the market is somehow not dominating the market?

They aren't the sole player anymore, so their dominance has decreased significantly, consumers now have good alternatives to choose from.

Naughty Dog: "At Naughty Dog, we're pretty sure we should be able to see leaps between games on the PS3 that are even bigger than they were on the PS2."

PS3 vs 360 sales

Around the Network

@RolStoppable:

The PS2 sold well because it was the cool system among gamers and it had all the games, that's why it could sell this well even at $300. The PS3 is neither the cool system among gamers nor does it have all the games, so it's unlikely that it can match the sales of the PS2 at the same price point and much less while still being $100 more expensive.
MEGA LOL.
Don't buy that PlayStation
It's overpriced and has no online access, and hardly any good games are available to play on it.

No. The PS2 is not the revolutionary device that Sony's marketing department would have you believe. Don't get me wrong; it's definitely the most powerful video-game machine on the planet right now. But that's not enough.

The PS2's stats are certainly impressive; it's got hardware power to burn. But so what? There's just not much software available that can take advantage of it. The games that are being released at the same time as the system don't rise much, if at all, above games available for Sega's rival (and cheaper) Dreamcast video-game system.

Sony is also under the mistaken impression that including the ability to play DVD movies is a huge selling point. But true technophiles and hardcore gamers probably already have DVD drives. I'm a good case in point. I already own a Sony DVD player, so I could not care less if the $299 PS2 can play movies. I'd rather pay less and get a machine that just plays games instead.

In comparison, the Sega Dreamcast sells for $149 and has a giant library of games already available. Sega also has an online game network, Seganet.

Oct. 27, 2000
It looks very FAMILIAR, the only difference, 7 YEARS. =)))))))))

2009.04.30 - PS3 will OUTSELL x360 atleast by the middle of 2010. Japan+Europe > NA.

1.8 mln. PS3 today(2008.01.17) in Japan. Now(2009.04.30) 3.16 mln. PS3 were sold in Japan.
PS3 will reach 4 mln. in Japan by the end of 2009 with average weekly sales 25k.

PS2 2001 vs PS3 2008 sales numbers =) + New games released in Japan by 2009 that passed 100k so far

However, unlike Sega and the Dreamcast... Microsoft isn't likely to run out of money. Which is what really killed the dreamcast. Who knows what might of happened had Sega had enough money to not be so conservative and have a full go of it. I mean Dreamcast was the first with some serious online play.

Aren't they still distant even after holiday sales and price drop? Just not seeing how much better SONY is doing now then before. I mean your saying it could have been worse?

@Kasz216,
Gamegube also was selling, but so what?
M$ in last 7 Years LOST on console market around 4-6 bln. $.
DC got away, but in it`s place came xbox and GC.

again, the point of that article was, that people like many in this thread wasn`t believing in power of playstation2. They now ARE saying SAME reasons, WHy PS3 won`t sell as good as PS2. =)))
That`s kinda funny you know? =]

@elnino334:
http://vgchartz.com/hwlaunch.php?cons1=PS2&reg1=All&cons2=PS3&reg2=All&cons3=X360&reg3=All&weeks=156
The only distant by 10 mln. from ps2 is x360. Enjoy. =)

@RolStoppable:

BUT, YOU say SAME things, that this guy was telling 7 years ago. MAYBE you are just NEGATIVE towards PS3, don`t you think so?
All, what you said, no games, overpirced. NOTHING NEW.

And again, look at that list, ps3 will have A LOT OF GAMES in 2008. So, WHAT is problem TO MAKE another 20 mln. ???

The PS2 sold well because it was the cool system among gamers and it had all the games, that's why it could sell this well even at $300.

SO PS3 WILL HAVE THESE GAMES IN 2008.
So what is a problem then? 100$ ? It`s defientely will have atleast 50$ price cut in 2008, and i presume before GTA4 release.

http://vgchartz.com/hwcomps.php it won 2 month against x360 in 2007(in first ps3 year).
About wii, nobody is making CoD4, AC, GTA4, VF5, SC4, ES for Wii, so why anyone should care?