By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - General Discussion - Best HD TV for under £1000

As the title suggests....can I have your comments on the best HD TV I can get at the moment for under £1000.

I won't be purchasing one for a wee while though, but would like your thoughts.

I think it would be sensible to get one that displays full 1080p resolution, but most of the TV's I've seen seem to only have a 768 vertical resolution and can only do 720p.

Is LCD better than Plasma; I've always thought so because of the gas thing with plasma???

But any help will be brilliant.

We still have the old traditional TV in the house...but when we upgrade, we intend to get a decent enough screen that will do us for a good few years.  I know that HD broadcast is still in its infancy in the UK, but to be able to view HDDVD or Blu-Ray on a full 1080p would be brilliant. 

Prediction (June 12th 2017)

Permanent pricedrop for both PS4 Slim and PS4 Pro in October.

PS4 Slim $249 (October 2017)

PS4 Pro $349 (October 2017)

Around the Network

in UK....

you gonna use it for gaming get LCD, might also think about DLP.

how big a tv you want... 30 40 50 inch....

1000 pouds.. euro... american ?

maybe this.. http://www.play.com/Electronics/Electronics/4-/924637/Samsung_40_LE40R74BDX_Freeview_HD_Ready_Widescreen_LCD_TV/Product.html 

you can do quite a bit with 1000 GBP.

I've always liked DLP. Its not as thin as plasma or LCD, but in my opinion it looks a lot sharper

davygee said:

As the title suggests....can I have your comments on the best HD TV I can get at the moment for under £1000.

I won't be purchasing one for a wee while though, but would like your thoughts.

I think it would be sensible to get one that displays full 1080p resolution, but most of the TV's I've seen seem to only have a 768 vertical resolution and can only do 720p.

Is LCD better than Plasma; I've always thought so because of the gas thing with plasma???

But any help will be brilliant.

We still have the old traditional TV in the house...but when we upgrade, we intend to get a decent enough screen that will do us for a good few years.  I know that HD broadcast is still in its infancy in the UK, but to be able to view HDDVD or Blu-Ray on a full 1080p would be brilliant. 

£ - Pound..

Proud Member of GAIBoWS (Gamers Against Irrational Bans of Weezy & Squilliam)

yeah, so 1000 gbp is something like $2500 American

Around the Network

Lcd is better for games.

Plasma is better for broadcasting.

I would suggest you to wait till Sony W2000 40" or Samsung F71 40" drop in price a bit or add 200-400 pounds right now.

Yes, I reccomend the Sony or Samsung 40inch LCDs. (At least the american version) I think they are the best looking LCDs. The samsung is quite a bit cheaper than the Sony tho. But the sony does look a little better.

I have a 40inch 1080p Samsung. 

PSN ID: Kwaad

I fly this flag in victory!

The Sony W2000 is around £13000 at the moment , but it's a 40" and displays true 1080p which would be great for the PS3 and Blu-Ray.  I think the equivalent Samsung is £300 cheaper at £1000 bang on.

I won't be buying one probably for at least the end of the year or next year, but they certainly have come down in price and probably will be a good few hundred less in 6 months time alone.

Cheers 

Prediction (June 12th 2017)

Permanent pricedrop for both PS4 Slim and PS4 Pro in October.

PS4 Slim $249 (October 2017)

PS4 Pro $349 (October 2017)

davygee,

I would recommend going to an enthusiast forum for this type of hardware questions. You can try the avs forums (avsforum.com).

Furthermore, if you are waiting until end of the year, you shouldn't be checking this out now, as a) prices are going to drop for the holidays, b) new models will come on the scene, making the ones you are looking at now outdated, and c) there apparently are new technologies (read: neither LCD nor plasma) that should drop prices for the "old" technology.

As for your "is LCD better than plasma", there are two main considerations:

LCD are not "known" to have a half-life (they haven't been around 10+ years to really know if pixels will die over time); plasmas, although having improved their longevity, still are susceptible to dimming. LCDs have a bulb that dims over time, but these can be replaced, unlike plasma.

The other consideration is: what are your viewing habits? If you normally do your channel surfing in a brightly-lit room, consider an LCD; conversely, consider a plasma. Having said that, the new technology on the horizon supposedly resolves these issues.

Whenever people talk about recommending flat panels by dropping names such as Sony, Samsung, and so on, take it with a grain (a spoonful, even) of salt: 90% of flatscreen TVs made today have panels provided by one of three major manufacturers, so in most cases, it's not who makes the TV, but what panels (and their quality) they are using. Software (what drives the image processing) is very important as well, but in terms of the screen itself, you should aim for a zero-pixel-defect warranty for your TV. By this alone, you are guaranteed to have one of the very best panels out there. Basically, companies like Samsung and Sony don't offer this type of warranty (at least not where I live) because they are not using the best grade screens on their TVs; obviously, offering such a warranty implies the panel has to be perfect, and perfection has its price.

To give you an example, my panel offers zero-pixel defect warranty for the first year, then 3 pixels defect tolerance for years 2-3. Other panels may arrive at your doorstep with, say, 2 dead pixels and there is absolutely nothing you can do about it, because it is "within tolerance". It will also drive you nuts looking at those dead pixels every day!

If you are a image quality nut, you should definitely get a TV that allows you to adjust RGB values independently so you can fine-tune the picture to perfection with color-calibration DVDs (which can be bought for around 20 quid). Avoid gimmicky stuff like DNIe because they artifically adjust the color and are features that cannot be turned off.

Again, this is probably the wrong place to discuss, not that it doesn't belong, but because you will find much, much more relevant information at the aforementioned website, not to mention extremely knowledable forum members willing to help.

davygee said:

The Sony W2000 is around £13000 at the moment , but it's a 40" and displays true 1080p which would be great for the PS3 and Blu-Ray. I think the equivalent Samsung is £300 cheaper at £1000 bang on.

I won't be buying one probably for at least the end of the year or next year, but they certainly have come down in price and probably will be a good few hundred less in 6 months time alone.

Cheers

Yup, those are the ones I'm talking about. Their the ones you wanna buy. I havent had any problems with mine. (1080p 40inch samsung)

PSN ID: Kwaad

I fly this flag in victory!